So I Removed my side mouldings - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
So I Removed my side mouldings
Sunday, February 19, 2006 1:47 PM
I Removed my side mouldings a month ago, and when I removed them, the one door the colour was a little faded where the side mouldings were. Somebody told me a few waxes would bring it back to normal, but ive waxed the car plenty of times and it didnt. I can still notice the colour difference, just a little. Would buffing get rid of the small colour difference?

My other door needs to be repainted because they painted over the side mouldings on the passenger door.

Re: So I Removed my side mouldings
Sunday, February 19, 2006 2:03 PM
Waxes generally just "protect." What you need is a good quality polish like 3M (I'm a big fan) or even Meguiars. High-speed buffers always do a better job, if you use them correctly.

Sunday, February 19, 2006 8:17 PM
wow that sucks big time about the painting over, now i'm scared to remove my mouldings.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:18 PM
Well if you still have the factory paint nothing to worry about Hey, you can always put them back on if it wasnt painted properly.
Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:40 PM
where the side moldings were it was faded? usually its the other way around where under the molding or emblems were are bran new perfect paint compared to the rest of the car.......like sad above a good buff will do some good but also try waiting it out, as time goes it will get better and better.....

i know when i took of all my emblems i could see where they used to be, especially the hood, after a couple month and espcially now, i dont have that problem anymore and the sun has now fadded those area and have made them match with the rest of the car,,,,,,there was a also a full car polish in that time though

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Monday, February 20, 2006 5:45 AM
I just removed my mouldings, and i have this mark, more like an outline residue mark, where they used to be.....
what do i use to get that off ???
i've already tried goo gone, but that didn't seem to do a thing, it did take the rest of the sticky stuff off....

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Monday, February 20, 2006 7:42 AM
Look for some stuff called Acrossole(sp?) we use it at my work and it work grat on getting the nameplates to other dealerships off so we can put out on.......then just keep waxing......

I think I know what you mean where the edges of where they were are showing. when i tood my emblems off the Z24 ones did that, and if i remember right i used acrysole then waxed, and then the following weekend wax again and so on, now its gone.....

if you do deside to get this acrosole, it is safe for your car but make sure you rinse it off good when you are done(which you would want to do anyways before waxing) and we even use it on all the cars at the dealership including corvettes.......

Now for you safty, try to be outdoors, kinda funny well not realy but there is even a warning on the back that read "The state of California believes it can cause caner" like how do they allow something like that to be sold......anyways good luck

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Monday, February 20, 2006 8:38 AM
KEWLNESS.........
now, the question is, where can i look for for it ?

Monday, February 20, 2006 11:37 AM
If you know what body shop did the paint over and the have lifetime warrenty their work, bring it back to them and say hey, that isn't how you properly repair something. Thats what i did with mine when i removed all my moldings. The door they repainted looked dumb, so the repainted it for free and they also wet sanded where all the other moldings use to be for me since there was a little fadding going on for the wrong-doing. Cars look soo much better with out them IMO.

Monday, February 20, 2006 8:47 PM
i removed my side mouldings tonight and the passenger side turned out good but the drivers side.......ouch. my friend was working the fishing line technique pretty well and then decided to just grab the piece and rip it off, the paint ripped off and it looks like hell. its not good.

any suggestions......

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:20 PM
That's what happens when you lose patience. I spent 3.5 hours removing mine just to make sure I didn't damage the paint in any way. That sucks man...sounds like a re-painting is in order.

Good Luck

NO...it's NOT a freakin' Honda!!!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:30 PM
i got an estimate today to repaint the door, about 150-175

hope this is a lesson to all those who try the rip-it-off technique, learn from my boneheaded friend's mistakes, dont end up in my shoes.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:37 PM
ouch

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 7:49 PM

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 8:51 PM
Good Lord Hrothgar.... that's pretty severe dude! Good price on the repainting, though... you might just get away with minimum expenses...

NO...it's NOT a freakin' Honda!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search