Which primer.. ? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Which primer.. ?
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:07 AM
I have all the body parts that are in my sig waiting to go on and everything is different colors at this point ( and I wont drive it that way, its not a DD yet ) and I want to get it all one color.. The paint I want is expensive so I just want to get everything primed for the time being so I can have the outiside of the car done except for paint and still look ok..

I want like a black primer and I like the look of some of the primer jobs I see as far as black primer and wanted to know what product is best.. im having a very talented friend of mine paint the car, but wanted to let him know what I wanted him to use so I could get this actual look

I am going for primer like what Andy Brooks used lately

Anybody know what I should go to the paint store and asked for.. I know very lil about paint

Re: Which primer.. ?
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:56 AM
Jeff, for my trunklid, hood, and rear bumper im using a Black Polymer(i think polymer is right) Featheredge primer.. its good for filling in any minor leftover sand scratches.. somewhat like a high build primer.. I plan to do the same next winter.. just shoot the whole car in black primer.. who is gonna do it? Bryce? Also if u find out what primer you want, let me know and i'll see if i can get it discount through the shop

A question i have is.. does anyone put any sorta clear cote on with theirs? i know primer fade's in the sun so i was curious if anyone puts some sorta protectant on it to help it from the weather?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:18 AM
I will go to the Dupont store today to look at paints.. do I just need primer, or clear too ? I know a lot of people clear it

I may be interested in haveing the shop do it if theres a discount, because im spend some gas just to get there lol

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 12:19 PM
use PPG bc PPG is easier to use then dupont

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:30 PM
hot rod black primer with about a pint of black base coat paint mixed into it.

no clear

the black paint helps make it blacker and more fade resistant, but the hot rod black is already pretty dark

hope that helps
j

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:54 PM
jacob, how much of the hotrod primer? gallon? half gallong? cuz we kinda need to know that to know what to mix a pint of base in

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:06 PM
A whole gallon with about a pint of black.
We didn't measure exactly, just eyeballed it.
j

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:20 PM
Awesome.. anyone know where to get Hod Rod Black primer.. I went to the Auto paint store and they didnt have any black.. on black was sef etching and not a high build or something I dont know what that means.. just know I want to make my car all one color and I love Crystals black primer in the new sig.. so that would be really cool

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:22 PM
ppg makes a black sealer dcu2005 the ratio is 1:1 1/2 you can use a reducer but only 5% of it
this the dbc system more money yes but in the long run it will be worth it
and one more thing
ALWAYS ALWAYS MIx PAINT CORRECTLY
paint that is mixed wrong causes so many problems in the painting process

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:29 PM
I bought mine at the paint shop that I bought all my other paints and products from. If you notice in her sig, where I sanded the blue graffics off and re primed it, the new primer doesn't have any black paint in it. That is why it is duller. You can also see where I sprayed the side skirt molding, and front fenders and under the tail light. lol
j

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:32 PM
Jacob what store did u get the stuff at? is it a local paint shop or sumthing like Napa? or a PPG or Dupont supplier? Also how much roughly did it run? Lookin to do the same to my car hopefully next winter.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:38 PM
I got it at a local paint shop. They sell HOK, PPG, DUPONT, and EXOTIC. I think it was like $25 give or take a few $$. I know it wasn't more than $30 here.
j

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:48 PM
I hope its that cheap.. they told me it would be 200 for all the materials.. which sounds like a gallon of primer and maybe a pint of black paint.. thats not 200..

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:56 PM
gotta include the tape, masking paper, sand paper, and labor.
j

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:59 PM
I know they were talking just primer for 200.. not the other stuff

those bastards

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:29 PM
oh, well uhhhh.....damn that is steep. don't forget the reducer too. but that still shouldn't be $200..
j

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:37 PM
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:41 PM
Ppg has DP90 black epoxy primer. 2 quarts of primer and one quart of hardener would run about $160, at least thats what i paid for it. And also since its epoxy it can be put right over bare metal. Something like a sealer (excluding primer sealer) wounldnt be ideal unless the entire original paint job remains intact.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:37 AM
No, mine was in a white gallon. I don't know the name of it either.
j

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search