polishing the ecotec cover? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
polishing the ecotec cover?
Sunday, November 27, 2005 7:08 PM
I don't know what it's called .. the valve cover or manifold or something, the top part of the ecotec engine... is there a way to polish it to make it nice and shiney?

I'm assuming you'd have to pull it off ... is that a lot of work? do you have to buy new gaskets or anything for it? what all is involved, i'm a newbie so use lots of detail please Thanks haha.

----------
Cavillac

Re: polishing the ecotec cover?
Sunday, November 27, 2005 7:12 PM
oh yeah i did search, and found 2 previous threads on this topic. I don't have any powered buffers or polisher wheels or anything, so I'd be doing it by hand...

what compound would you guys suggest using? and what to polish it with, just any kind of rag?

anything else I should know about it?

----------
Cavillac
Sunday, November 27, 2005 7:47 PM
[M wrote:ATTRESS]I don't know what it's called .. the valve cover or manifold or something, the top part of the ecotec engine... is there a way to polish it to make it nice and shiney?

I'm assuming you'd have to pull it off ... is that a lot of work? do you have to buy new gaskets or anything for it? what all is involved, i'm a newbie so use lots of detail please Thanks haha.

When i did my Valve cover for my 2200, it took 42 hours of hand polishing to get a mirror finish.

So if you still want to know after knowing that, just message me, ill give you the run through step by step.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 7:54 PM
I believe there is a type of powder coating that can give it a mirrored finish. You could also get it powder coated almost any color if you so desired.
A friend of mine told me that the gasket does not need to replaced. As far as removing the engine cover, all you do is remove the bolts on it. It's not hard to remove at all.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 8:08 PM
to get it off you have to unplug the ignition (black prt that says ecotec) and take the 4 10 mm bolts out of the igntion and that pulls up, undo the brether tube going to the intake, then you need to remove the the spot where the fuel lines and the throttle cable holder go on the drivers side of the cylinder right behind the power sterring pump, oh and theres a ground strap on there somewhere to.. I think they are 13 mm's ?? but after that thats baout it, then just all the valve cover bolts, the bolts have a little metal metal wahser covered in rubber so if it seems like your undoing it forever chances are they are loose already but the rubber piece holds the bolts in the valve cover. and unless you physically damage the vlve cover gasket you can reuse it.

This is all just off the top of my head so I might have left some minor things out but its preaty simple, shouldn't take more then 15-20 minuets to get it off.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 8:23 PM

a pic of mine polished, a friend of mine did it for me
check out eastwood.com for the different polishing compounds you have to use and the different wheels

can i haz bondo
Monday, November 28, 2005 7:57 AM

I done mine by hand, still on the engine. Started out as just an experiment to see how good the results were gonna be before I took it off but seen that I could get all areas easily and left it on. I started out with 800 grit paper and worked my way up to 2000 grit and wet sanded it, then polished it up with some polish. Nothing special.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search