Confused about HIDs - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Confused about HIDs
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:24 PM
Im sorry i did alot of searching and it has just confused me more. I have a 2000 cav. Im converting to a 95-99 projector. I have everything i need for the conversion but i dont know which hids to get. I know now i have 9007 lights and they do both high and low and the 99 headlights have seperate bulbs for both. I want to buy a plug and play kit from hidynamic.com. I also have the wiring harness for a 99. So what should i od and which kit do i buy?

Re: Confused about HIDs
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:32 PM
well since ur converting to the 95-99 you'll need 9005 for the lows, and 9006 for the highs. and since your buying projectors get a lower K rating...4***K or so, better light output.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:57 PM
So i buy two different hid kits? And just to be sure the 9006 is the high beam bulb which is between the lens right?

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:07 AM
http://xenonking.com/index.html

try this site out. maybe it'll give you an idea.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:23 AM
Autoflow wrote:So i buy two different hid kits?

Incorrect. Your best bet is to just get the HID kit for the low beam (9005) and just use regular halogen lights for the high beams (9006) for safety inspections. With the HID kit, you will propably never use the high beams again.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:44 AM
People go back and forth on this, but the halogen projectors you are wanting to change to would involve you creating a wire harness to go from stock 9007 connections, to multiple relays to power 2 bulbs, one for high, one for low.

That being said, since the projectors you are using are meant for halogen bulbs, putting HIDs inside them risk melting parts of the housing, as HID bulbs get warmer and most halogen projector housings specifically say not intended for HID bulbs.

All and all, you should look at http://www.hidplanet.com look in the forums. There is a ton of information about retrofitting a REAL HID projector and bulbs etc, which they often run great prices on full kits.

I believe you can get the projectors, ballasts, and bulbs for less than 400, just slightly more than what it would cost you to purchase a hid conversion kit. This would allow the HID light to be focused more directly and properly so you arent throwing a more intense light everywhere or through a halogen projector which has a totaly different light output.

You would also need to buy a 9007 wire harness, or if you are good enough with soldering and wires, they have a walkthough to create one on that page as well.

I am not a very strong believer in just throwing a HID bulb into a halogen application, be it projectors or regular reflector housings it doesnt look near as good, and can be dangerous for other drivers.

As far as different temp bulbs, if you do a retrofit they use 4300k bulbs, its the projector that gives the color more so than the bulb temperature. The only reason those bulbs were created is since alot are not used in a projector application like they should, just to get color easier. Doing a full retrofit gives you much better light output, along with the color you are seeking.

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:20 AM
STLWACO wrote:
Autoflow wrote:So i buy two different hid kits?

Incorrect. Your best bet is to just get the HID kit for the low beam (9005) and just use regular halogen lights for the high beams (9006) for safety inspections. With the HID kit, you will propably never use the high beams again.

As you said, Incorrect.

9006 is the low beam, 9005 is the high beam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:32 AM
ok seeing no one is telling you the right bulb 9006 is low beam You only need and HID kit for your low beams, the hight beam 9005 just need a regular buld. Most cars that have HID kits the high beam is not HID.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 1:11 PM
I have a 2k+. I was only going off what was posted in front of me.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:13 PM
Are you converting to a 99 style just to use those cheap and ugly projectors? If so don't waste of time and money. Just buy a 9007 kit from hidyanmics, I have the 6000k 9007 kit from them.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:22 PM
But you also lost the function of the hi beam. Right?
I want to do HID but I have to have functional high beams to pass state safety inspection.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:34 PM
Im converting just to have projectors. I dont want to put the bulbs in stock housing and im really not in the mood to make custom projectors. and i want to put the hids behind the lens right? so i buy the hid that will fit that bulb which would be 9006 if im understanding this.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 4:29 PM
STLWACO wrote:But you also lost the function of the hi beam. Right?
I want to do HID but I have to have functional high beams to pass state safety inspection.

Yes, I don't have a safety inspection to go thru.

Autoflow wrote:Im converting just to have projectors. I dont want to put the bulbs in stock housing and im really not in the mood to make custom projectors. and i want to put the hids behind the lens right? so i buy the hid that will fit that bulb which would be 9006 if im understanding this.

Those projectors suck, for the money you are going to spend to switch everything over to a 99 style you can have much better projectors made. If you do it that way anyway yes, it would be a 9006 low beam.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Thursday, November 17, 2005 7:09 PM
STLWACO wrote:But you also lost the function of the hi beam. Right?
I don't want to sound mean, but why couldn't you just change out the HID's when you go to inspected? If you look around there are always places that don't look at everything, but really it is not hard to go put stock on before you got. I mean you know when you have to go do it right? So what is the big deal?

Friday, November 18, 2005 2:08 PM
^thats what i am doing. It is definitely worth it. What i did is got my car inspected and got my lights put in the next week so i dont have to worry about it for a year.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search