Any luck with DIY window tint? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any luck with DIY window tint?
Sunday, October 09, 2005 12:45 AM
we've all seen it in wal-mart or whatever, the Do it Yourself window tint. Well i've hurt some bad things, but on ebay i found some chrome/black fade tint. Just wondering if anyone's had DIY tint turn out well and how they did it.

Thats right, it's an NESmobile

Re: Any luck with DIY window tint?
Sunday, October 09, 2005 12:49 AM
u prob will beable to do the door windows and the rear side windows the rear window is hard as hell to do.

Sunday, October 09, 2005 9:04 AM
I helped a friend tint his windows. He had a hatch so the back wasn't too bad. It came in long strips. Just make sure that you read the package. I think it specifies rear window or not. The rest isn't too bad just need a clean workspace and no dust in the air.

Follow directions and you'll be all set.
Peace Out!

Sunday, October 09, 2005 9:43 AM
Yeah i did mine and it looks perfect! Get good tint and follow directions, have a case of beer for patience

Sunday, October 09, 2005 7:02 PM
Try and see if you can find out what it dye's are used in making it. If it is anything besides like grey or brown then you are probably setting yourself up to have purple windows in a few years. Same goes when you have someone do it ask what dye's are used in the tint. Unless of course you like that purple look. Or you want to redo your windows every few years.

Donovan
Monday, October 10, 2005 8:16 AM
Donovan Bradley wrote:Try and see if you can find out what it dye's are used in making it. If it is anything besides like grey or brown then you are probably setting yourself up to have purple windows in a few years. Same goes when you have someone do it ask what dye's are used in the tint. Unless of course you like that purple look. Or you want to redo your windows every few years.

Donovan

the purple tint is from ammonia. it turns tint purple. if you clean it w/ ammonia it will turn purple

Monday, October 10, 2005 6:12 PM
It depends on what dies are used when they make the tint. If you get good quality tint it will not purple. My parents van has had aftermarket tint on it for over 10 years and it still has not purpled. They live in the south and clean their windows all the time. Cheap tint or tint that uses blue and red as the dies will purple. good tint that uses grey or brown as the dies will not purple.

Monday, October 10, 2005 7:11 PM
here's what i found on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrome-Mirror-Fade-5-SR-20-X-25-Auto-Window-Tint_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63689QQitemZ8006246141QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

is that a good price? it's not cheap, but it seems quality

Monday, October 10, 2005 7:37 PM
Quote:

the purple tint is from ammonia. it turns tint purple. if you clean it w/ ammonia it will turn purple

Purple tint is not from ammonia. I had some 3M tint back from 1991. Turned purple. The only cleaning products used were water, and some non-ammonia window tint cleaner that the installers used. The purple is from a layer(s) of the dye in the tint fading.

If you insist on tinting yourself, follow the recommendations from the people above, to use a good tint. Metallic based tint is pry the best choice.

As for the black/chrome tint, I pry would stay away from it. The tint installer I use told me that reflective films will be illegal soon.
Monday, October 10, 2005 9:22 PM
actually the tint is more made up of some kind of metal stuff... not really dyes....

If you have ever tinted windows, then you should know some of the tricks, but if not, it'll take you a couple of times, especially with the rear....

just need a squeege, sharp blades, soapy water, a metal scrub pad for cleaning the rear window, so you dond mess up your defroster, and a heat gun for the rear window, unless you want to cut reliefs along the defroster lines.

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Monday, October 10, 2005 9:46 PM
heh, dont have a rear defroster so thats not a problem. I'm kinda in the middle of no where, but if i can find a shop, might it be worth it to have it done professionally? I dont have the steadiest hand and i'd feel kinda bad makin my dad do it.

My ride

Monday, October 10, 2005 10:44 PM
hey buzz, what kinda ride is that in your sig?? that thing is @!#$in sweet.

13 psi and climbing......

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:45 AM
Tinting is all not that bad. Unfortunately I got frustrated and paid a shop $55 to do my back window. Other than that instead of a squeege, i used a credit card with a wet paper towel on the end of it. Worked a lot better for me.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:20 AM
GILA window makes a DIY kit with precut pieces for the vehicle of your choice. kit includes instructions, and everything you need to install it with.click here for web site. I'm waiting for my kit to come in.

AIM & Y!: COGcaviZ24
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:23 AM
if yove never done tinting, go with a profesional tinter, they will do it quicker, and cleaner... and you wont have to worry about dirt getting stuck between the film, and the window, causing noticable bubles,
plus, a tint place will, and should warranty it for like a year, or lifetime....

John H [Cavalierkid] <-------- that would be called a T-REX

heres a link to their website if youre intrested ----> click me <----

and a couple of pics

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 12:55 PM
just pay someone to do it lol...tint and gauges are the only things i didn't do myself to the car...cept for paint of course

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search