convertable converson - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
convertable converson
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:34 PM
i was thinkin of doing a convertable converson and wanted to know about how much it would cost to do the entire thing. if i dont do it, im just going to buy a convertable mustang. im fully aware that the hard top has its support in the roof but and convertables have theirs in the door so i dont need anyone telling me that if i do it and wreck the car is going to crumble. i just want to know about how much it would cost. Also, if done, do they put a rag top on it like a from the factory convertable or is it just topless. i want a convertable so bad man!!! i would have had one when i got this cavy but my mom talked me out of it because she said the insurance would be so high. so i settled for the sunroof. but now the droptop bug has bitten me again so im going to chop the top..

Sinister Ambitions
when your girl is getting on your last nerve f*#k her dont fight her

Re: convertable converson
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:46 PM
Well the conv. were shipped out from the factory and converted somewhere else. I'm not sure how much it'd cost. I don't think anyone has ever done it before. I know they've tried t-tops but nobody has said anything about convertibles.

* Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:06 PM
Go to a bodyshop and ask, why ask on here? Most custom bodyshops have programs that figure out approx. cost but for something like that u cant really get a cost until everything is done. I assure you it will be over $10,000. The amount of research and fab time would be over $5000 alone. Id just buy a convertable. Dont get me wrong I love custom work but something like that isnt worth the hassle.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:14 PM
Z2FLIP4 wrote:Go to a bodyshop and ask, why ask on here? Most custom bodyshops have programs that figure out approx. cost but for something like that u cant really get a cost until everything is done. I assure you it will be over $10,000. The amount of research and fab time would be over $5000 alone. Id just buy a convertable. Dont get me wrong I love custom work but something like that isnt worth the hassle.

i thought that someone may have tried it before or knew someone that had. im not looking to spend 10 G's more on the line of 5 at the most 7.

Sinister Ambitions
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:57 PM
for 5 or 7 you can get a convertrt and out everything from your car onto it a lot easier than making your car into one

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:43 PM
Grimor wrote:for 5 or 7 you can get a convertrt and out everything from your car onto it a lot easier than making your car into one

that is a thought uh...

Sinister Ambitions
Thursday, October 06, 2005 5:45 PM
um, I bought my 2nd vert (a cav) for a grand and drove it home. don't bother chopping

Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:36 PM
slidding rag top would be cool. keep the hard top, and get the convertable feel...

and i know the 2nd gen's had supports under the unibody that were pop rivited in to provide that little extra.

Friday, October 07, 2005 4:30 AM
basically if your car didnt come vert, dont do it. theres alot of work that has to be done w/ stiffening up everything and to spend 5-7k on it, imo is a waste of money. for like 1k (maybe less) you can do a sliding rag top like tabasco or phewes has

Friday, October 07, 2005 10:51 PM
DropTopPaul wrote:um, I bought my 2nd vert (a cav) for a grand and drove it home. don't bother chopping

yeah i think that thats what im going to do...

Sinister Ambitions
Saturday, October 08, 2005 7:52 AM
I've looked before, but where do you get the sliding rag tops?

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Saturday, October 08, 2005 10:25 AM
Too much difference, doors interior pieces, rear seat is different, tons of extra bracing 99lbs worth, the meachanisms for the top alone would be too much money and let me tell you they are so complicated it is sick. It would be too hard and not possible to be done. rear windows, everything has to be modified. Look on ebay could pick one up for 2gs. I got my GF one with a blown motor, 96 5 speed red on black in great shapes, southern car. Paid 900$ for it put a motor in it for 400$ so walked away with a 70K motor and car 1300$, you cant beat it. Sell your car or do the rag top, I think the rag top idea is awesome.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Saturday, October 08, 2005 1:51 PM
Chris Fontana wrote:Too much difference, doors interior pieces, rear seat is different, tons of extra bracing 99lbs worth, the meachanisms for the top alone would be too much money and let me tell you they are so complicated it is sick. It would be too hard and not possible to be done. rear windows, everything has to be modified. Look on ebay could pick one up for 2gs. I got my GF one with a blown motor, 96 5 speed red on black in great shapes, southern car. Paid 900$ for it put a motor in it for 400$ so walked away with a 70K motor and car 1300$, you cant beat it. Sell your car or do the rag top, I think the rag top idea is awesome.

i dont want to sell it i just want a convertable. but im just going to find a used z24 convertable

Sinister Ambitions
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search