Carbon fiber fogging up - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Carbon fiber fogging up
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 6:59 AM
i have the RKSport cf adjustable spoiler and it looks like the clear is fogging up, but only on the top of the spoiler like in the concave part. what can i do to fix this? When i wash it while there is water on the spoiler you can't tell anything is wrong but when it dries it looks cloudy. any ideas?

Re: Carbon fiber fogging up
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:14 AM
polish it

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:53 AM
will that work
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:09 AM
it will for a little bit but it will cloud right back up

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:57 AM
it will cloud right back up. and every time you polish it will fog up faster and faster. had the same problem with my hood. wet sand it and clear coat it. i used dupont 7900 clear and now it looks better than when i first got it.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:59 AM
Thanks a lot, what grit sandpaper did u use and did u sand the entire wing or just the part that was fogging up?
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:08 AM
if your going to reclear then you should sand the whole thing with some 600-800 LIGHTLY to get rid of the fog and rough up the spoiler for clear. you might as well clear the whole wing because its such a small peice. im going to be doing this to mine this weekend. mabye i will post pics when im done.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:03 PM
The fog/cloudiness is mostlikely a layer under the clear coat...sand it down, and get it re-cleared...if you take off a fine layer or 2, im pretty sure once new clear gets sprayed down it will solve your poblem.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:18 PM
yeah what they said i used 600 grit sand paper sanded till it looked good with water on it then dryed it off and shot 3 layers of clear on it. sanded the clear with 2000 to get rid of orange peel then buffed it all out.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Friday, September 30, 2005 7:43 AM
thanks a lot everyone, ill be giving it a try here in the next month and streaker if u could get some pics up that would really help thanks.
Friday, September 30, 2005 2:20 PM
of the cloudy part or before and after pics? i hope i get to it this weekend

Friday, September 30, 2005 3:45 PM
on my rkcrappy hood , it was on the surface layer that clouded , i spent 6 hours using the 3 step maquires to polish the hood and its alot better , but ive got to go over it again

and ill prob have to do it atleast once or twice a month , untill i can have a body shop fix it the RIGHT way

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search