HPT and an FMU... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPT and an FMU...
Sunday, October 14, 2007 12:51 PM
After hearing it over and over again, I finally decided to go have my car tuned w/ hpt. We weren't exactly sure how everything would play together w/ me having an FMU and MSD, but we figured it was worth a shot.

Long story short, by the end of the night Tom was sayin that the FMU is no longer a bandaid, but an aid when not working w/ a 2 bar system. It took care of adding fuel when i went into boost and w/ HPT Tom took care of what the FMU couldn't. Overall amazingly easy to do. He tweaked a few other things as well.

Wrench Monkey FTMFW!!!

Thanks Tom.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Re: HPT and an FMU...
Sunday, October 14, 2007 1:28 PM
Yeah i dont think that the FMU is a bad thing at all. I would prefer a 2 bar MAP system but this is working great. Add fuel with the fmu and if needed pull it away with HPT.

Reason i am going that route with it is the VE offset on the ECO is 20% so i found out that 120 VE was still a bit lean. Now he turned up his base pressure and is going to tweak the FMU a bit so we get more fuel then we can pull it back with the VE table if needed. It is amazingly easy to do, and a lot easier then a fake 2 bar tune as you dont have to retrain yourself to what all the KPA values mean.

Hate if you want but if youve got nothing intelligent to say dont hate at all. (i know some people may disagree with this method of tuning)

Sunday, October 14, 2007 1:42 PM
Disagree or not, you can't argue w/ 11.7:1 afr's.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:33 PM
Hey guys im trying to tune with HPTuner and i know i need to edit my VE and PE tables but i really dont know how, can you guys help me out? You guys sound like you know everything about it thats why lol...

So far the only thing i changed is my Fuel injector constant, it was 0.17800 and it was running really rich so i used the formula and changed it to 0.10171 and the engine sounds ALOT smoother now...

I have a Turbonetics T3 turbo internally wastegated, 42lb/hr injectors, HKS SSQV BOV, 2.5" charged pipes, 2.5" downpipe and 3" straight pipe exhaust
I dont have a FMU or boost controller...

I have a boost gauge, oil pressure gauge and a Innovate LC-1 wideband with XD-16 gauge that i havent hooked up yet...

All i know is to change my Fuel Injector Constant, VE and PE tables, what else should i edit?

I haven't gotten my Innovate LC-1 wideband to hook up with my HPTuner yet, how do i do that? I have the PRO version...

If you guys can help me out thats GREAT, i cant wait to get my car running

My CarDomain!!! --- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543660
Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:59 PM
Skunk v.2K4 wrote:Disagree or not, you can't argue w/ 11.7:1 afr's.

Might wanna richen that up a bit for longevity. :2cents:

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:02 PM
My car has been a lot leaner than that lately. So I think 11.7 will be just fine for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:22 PM

Monday, October 15, 2007 10:10 AM
cavmania wrote:
Skunk v.2K4 wrote:Disagree or not, you can't argue w/ 11.7:1 afr's.

Might wanna richen that up a bit for longevity. :2cents:

Christ how much richer do you need it?

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Downpipe w/ Cutout | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Monday, October 15, 2007 1:44 PM
I would think that would be plenty unless your going for the diesel effect.
Monday, October 15, 2007 6:40 PM
Exactly, 11.7 is to keep it as "safe" as possible.

Monday, October 15, 2007 10:30 PM
very nice job, hope it works out for you skunk

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:22 PM
Well this is the status so far...

We have discovered that with my current settings and the injector constant set to stock, we cannot maintain afr's at 15psi, above 6000rpm. We are currently talking through the problem of running extrememly rich as soon as power enrichment mode is engaged. The initial onset of p.e. causes afr's to drop into the 9's, but once we hit the spot in the ve table where we have taken fuel out now that the boost has been turned down slightly (12psi) we are maintaining afr's in the high 10's to mid 11's. I am convinced that once the injector constant is tweaked slightly and some of my settings change w/ the fmu that we will be able to maintain afr's right were they need to be in order for me to get some numbers to compare to after the motor build is complete this winter. I will keep you guys updated as to the progress of what Tom and I discover.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:17 PM
Maybe if you guys decide to become super awesome tuners after all this experience I can have you tune my car. lol I'm in close to the same boat as you right now. Sometimes I hate tuning, it's sooo much info. I'm getting there though. Good Luck
Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:00 AM
Nice job guys! I've been doing this exact method for a couple years now. I've been trying to tell people that when used in conjunction with HPTuners an fmu is NOT a band aid but simply a mechanical way of managing fuel under boost. It's super easy to pull fuel out in the VE and set a correct FMU ratio. I used this method on my pre 2k s/c setup and am also doing the same on my turbo setup now. As it has been said before a 2bar setup is definately superior and easier but when tuned properly and used correctly the HPT/FMU setup works perfectly fine. Next spring i'm going to be doing the 97 speed density tune in conjunction with an FMU. This should allow for me to still have a 2bar setup and I plan to use the FMU to replace the injector pulsewidth multiplier table that is missing from the 97 file. Keep up the great work guys!

President/Founder - 607 Motorsports
Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:04 AM
Update time again...

Well overall the car is running a lot better than before when it was just tuned w/ an FMU and MSD. AFR's sit in the 10's yestarday all day while i was at the track, my last run of the day was a 14.99 at 108mph, w/ a 2.23 60'. Tom has pretty much handed me the pc and said "You do it." Not because he's frustrated, but because I've been begging for it. My first attempt was terrible, the car was sputtering terribly, I've since been working on another tune w/ Tom's guidence. Overall, the last version of the tune in my car would be a safe starting point for just about anyone w/ an eco that has an fmu and hpt. The hi rpm ve tables and the low rpm sigle will still need some adjustments but those are dependant on the owner to get those perfect, every car is different. We could take the tune that's in mine and put it in another turbo eco w/ the same amount of boost and it might run rich as hell all the way thru or it could be the exact opposit. We have a base tune now to start from, I am going to continue working on it until it's as perfect as it can be overall. I've been using Tom's hpt cable and software, guess what I'm buying next...yeah my own stuff. Anyway, thanks for the interest in this guys, I'll be sure to update if there's any significant improvements made.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:17 AM
I have a good "strip" tune now. I started at 10.5 and backed things off to a 11.5. Holds a nice ratio all the way down the track. Any leaner than that it doesn't seem to make as much power or it will sputter. The street part could be cleaned up still but at least progress is being made. A 13.3871 made me very happy. I still can't log injector duty cycle, AFR error, and AFR CMD.... Have you been able to log these things?
Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:55 PM
We don't mess around w/ anything other than afr's. We record it on my lm-1 then log it. We've also gone down the highway w/ me drivin and tom lookin at the wb02 i tell him what rpm i'm at, he looks at the wb. We have gotten closesr in the last couple days. Troy soon as I've got my own hpt software I'm gonna hit you up for your tune, I've got the idle on mine fig'd pretty good. Idle afr and cruising afr's are in the mid 14's finally.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:19 PM
I thought you ran a 14 flat?Glad your getting your hpt schooling from the Master Monkey,lol.Soon
you'll be able to tune mine,when it's worthy,lmao.Get to Mi. soon

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Monday, October 22, 2007 2:24 PM
I did,but the 14.9 had a higher mph, due to the tune that was in at the time. I have since loaded a 10th version of the tune in the car. It has even better afr's that I was seeing at the track. In the mid to upper 11's for afr's now. It's not quite perfect yet. I will be doing some more work on it before the dyno on Saturday.

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:55 PM
Well, got my own HPT. The current afr's are 11.8 all the way across the board, with the slight lean towards 12.2 above 6500. She's screaming in a big way now. I'm loving it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search