Tommy Kaira Skyline Pics - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tommy Kaira Skyline Pics
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:49 AM
Went by the Post Office on Friday and saw this thing sitting there (I'm in Germany by the way)! It was for sale! $36K is not a bad price considering what it is and all. I realize it would sell for twice that if not more in the US but getting one of these converted to US specs is a hefty price...upwards of $25K I hear? Here in Europe Skylines are around, not a lot of them but you see one every now and then.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting find and thought you all might enjoy seeing it too.

Enjoy!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?

Re: Tommy Kaira Skyline Pics
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:50 AM
is that euro or american?

other cars, better cars?
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:52 AM
US Dollars! Pretty decent price huh?

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:53 AM
if its american yeah
i would take it
where is gam at

other cars, better cars?
Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:04 AM
ooooooo, perdy. i usually dont like cars like that. but anything skyline is awesome.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:34 AM
That price is a lot less than the left nut I would be willing to sacrifice for that!
That is just downright tasty!

Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:58 PM
@!#$!!!!

It's too new. I can't get it in yet.
I'd SO import a Skyline (bollocks on where from) if I could afford the duty on it...

If it's not network news, it's probably the truth getting out.

Some people are like slinkies: Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them
down a flight of stairs.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 3:20 PM
Damn you for posting that Jforce... DAMN YOU!!!

down a flight of stairs.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 4:33 PM
not a big fan of R32's, rare car apparently though.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 4:42 PM
Not an R32.. its an R33.

R32: Godzilla Edition
R33: Tony Kaira
R34: Nismo edition (I forget the name just now.

As for now, I'm looking to get an R32, because nothing newer can be brought into Canada... they don't meet federal crash regulations.

down a flight of stairs.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:01 PM
did anyone else see how long that area code was!

Sinister Ambitions
when your girl is getting on your last nerve f*#k her dont fight her

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:09 PM
euric dinkins wrote:did anyone else see how long that area code was!

whoever owns it is in the military...air force i think

Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:22 PM
Sweet Actually the R33 is the easist to get into america. And yeah that price is REALLY good. My friends just got a 96 Gt-s M spec and they paid 30K

Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:16 PM
^^^
gam lives in canada

but rammstein is an afb but there are army and other branches there

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:34 AM
Sorry GAM...didn't know you were looking to buy

The guy who owns it bought it in Japn and brought it to Germany with him when he moved here. He is in the Air Force too.

I have a friend who has a GTS4 and he is getting ready to buy a GTR out of England. I fell in love with the Skyline when I was stationed in Japan. Has to be one of the greatest cars ever built! I've only drove a Skyline 1 time but that was all it took!!

Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:24 AM
how can the R33 be the easist to get in the us because all the R33*gt-r* from what i get is they have the same engine,tranny as the R34 same breaks and a few other things so wouldn't the R34 be just as easy? the info was from top gear i think

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:42 AM
canada has a certain amount of years that have to pass for the car

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:55 AM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Not an R32.. its an R33.

R32: Godzilla Edition
R33: Tony Kaira
R34: Nismo edition (I forget the name just now.

As for now, I'm looking to get an R32, because nothing newer can be brought into Canada... they don't meet federal crash regulations.

What the hell are those "editions" supposed to mean?

tommy kaira is a japanese tuning company that modifies cars.
"godzilla" was just a nickname because the r32 gtr's were so dominant in touring car racing.
nismo just means nissan motorsports, and there were nismo models of ALL generations of recent skylines.

GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I'd SO import a Skyline (bollocks on where from) if I could afford the duty on it...

either way, i'll call your bluff. my friend has an r32 gtr sitting in his garage for sale right now. its around 21,000cdn, but i'm sure you could drop the price a bit. the car is pretty clean, very good condition, registered, ontario plates and all. all you gotta do is pony up the cash and you could have the car by the end of the week.
if youre serious, i'll put you in contact with the right people.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:09 PM
^^^ That would predicate that I had $21,000 to sink into the purchase price. I do have a house, and that's a WEEE bit more important right now. I figure I'll be able to afford a new car (I'm looking seriously at a G35/G35x sedan) in a year or 18 months, but I need a daily driver, so a Skyline is a fine idea, but I know of no Nissan techs here that have experience with the RB series engines. Also I have to wait to see how some things pan out @ work, because I'm not going to do some of the things I was doing (departmental and responsibilities shuffle).

The Godzilla Edition of the GTR was an actual Nissan trim level, but I've yet to nail down what it actually was.. it's a 1990 only item from what I've read, I think there's a final drive LSD in there, but I'm not certain. I know who Tony Kaira is, and the Skylines he's done are excellent pieces of tuning before it was really popular in NA. I don't remember off hand what the R-34 special edition name is, but it's the 1998 GTR Spec V ones that Nissan bought back and worked over at the factory in like 2003-4.

Larry Martin:
Canada has a 15 year rolling exclusion window for most vehicles not sold in Canada. If I wanted to get an older Skyline (like 1990) I'd be able to import, if I wanted a 1993, I'd be able to import it, but, I'd be subject to a 17% import tax duty for Japanese vehicles, as well, I'd need manufacturer's/dealer's papers certifying that it has has completed all recall programmes. When I went to register the vehicle, I'd need to pay out the 7% GST on the vehicle, get it inspected, and pay the regular admin stuff for it.

Then.. there's the parts issue..

down a flight of stairs.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:09 PM
Larry: Shoulda said this in the earlier post: the R34 doesn't conform to US Crash standards off the boat. They need a 2.5mph bumper and I believe the Gas Tank needs modification (liner), I may be wrong on that, but I'd imagine it's the reason a conversion is so damned expensive. You can ask Motorex, they're the only company licensed to import and convert newer models.

down a flight of stairs.
Monday, October 03, 2005 12:44 AM
Damn Nissan!

For not selling skylines here in the US.

95 Cobra
Check out my site

Monday, October 03, 2005 5:17 AM
Damn, that is one sexy looking car.

Have a good one,
Justin

Monday, October 03, 2005 7:16 AM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:^^^ That would predicate that I had $21,000 to sink into the purchase price. I do have a house, and that's a WEEE bit more important right now. I figure I'll be able to afford a new car (I'm looking seriously at a G35/G35x sedan) in a year or 18 months, but I need a daily driver, so a Skyline is a fine idea, but I know of no Nissan techs here that have experience with the RB series engines. Also I have to wait to see how some things pan out @ work, because I'm not going to do some of the things I was doing (departmental and responsibilities shuffle).

The Godzilla Edition of the GTR was an actual Nissan trim level, but I've yet to nail down what it actually was.. it's a 1990 only item from what I've read, I think there's a final drive LSD in there, but I'm not certain. I know who Tony Kaira is, and the Skylines he's done are excellent pieces of tuning before it was really popular in NA. I don't remember off hand what the R-34 special edition name is, but it's the 1998 GTR Spec V ones that Nissan bought back and worked over at the factory in like 2003-4.

Larry Martin:
Canada has a 15 year rolling exclusion window for most vehicles not sold in Canada. If I wanted to get an older Skyline (like 1990) I'd be able to import, if I wanted a 1993, I'd be able to import it, but, I'd be subject to a 17% import tax duty for Japanese vehicles, as well, I'd need manufacturer's/dealer's papers certifying that it has has completed all recall programmes. When I went to register the vehicle, I'd need to pay out the 7% GST on the vehicle, get it inspected, and pay the regular admin stuff for it.

Then.. there's the parts issue..

clearly youre not as informed on these as you appear to be on most things.
first off.... it is tommy (as in thomas, not tony). there was no godzilla edition.
Quote:

Termed "Godzilla" by Wheels magazine in Australia when released there in 1989, it was rated by many
.. and can you explain how a "final drive" lsd is different from an lsd? even though an lsd is equipped on all of them anyways. the most recent were the z-tune's that you speak of.

anyways, there are many import companies now that will bring you (or help you bring one in yourself) one and you dont have to deal with anything other than going to the mto and getting plates, and switching the ownership.
there are lots for sale, and many that you could fit into your budget if youre planning on buying the newest skyline anyways.

check out www.gtrcanada.com and learn a few new things.

maintenance is easy... an engine is an engine is an engine. lots of parts are shared with the 300zx, maxima, etc... so there are only some parts that would need to be imported.
Monday, October 03, 2005 7:29 AM
Larry Martin wrote:how can the R33 be the easist to get in the us because all the R33*gt-r* from what i get is they have the same engine,tranny as the R34 same breaks and a few other things so wouldn't the R34 be just as easy? the info was from top gear i think

The reason the 34 is so hard to get into the country is the fact its OBD2 and it runs on 24volt system. You can get them to pass emissions but it takes ALOT of money. And you have to pretty much rewire the whole car so it will run on 12v

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:57 AM
blurred wrote:clearly youre not as informed on these as you appear to be on most things.
first off.... it is tommy (as in thomas, not tony). there was no godzilla edition.
Quote:

Termed "Godzilla" by Wheels magazine in Australia when released there in 1989, it was rated by many
.. and can you explain how a "final drive" lsd is different from an lsd? even though an lsd is equipped on all of them anyways. the most recent were the z-tune's that you speak of.

OKay, I goofed, my apologies to tommy.

The Godzilla edition: I had seen it on a best japan car advert, my apologies if I was incorrect, and the LSD info was from an article in this month's SCC, I admit, my knowledge of the car is a little deficcient because I'm not in a position to afford it currently.
Quote:

anyways, there are many import companies now that will bring you (or help you bring one in yourself) one and you dont have to deal with anything other than going to the mto and getting plates, and switching the ownership.
there are lots for sale, and many that you could fit into your budget if youre planning on buying the newest skyline anyways.

You're also not getting the fact that there is a 17% import fee for non-North American Cars when you go to register them, not to mention you need to do a full safety inspection (tack on $495, and you MUST have it done at Canadian Tire, Look up http://www.Riv.ca ) and an emissions check... if it doesn't pass, it's not covered under the maximum repair amount...
Quote:

check out www.gtrcanada.com and learn a few new things.

maintenance is easy... an engine is an engine is an engine. lots of parts are shared with the 300zx, maxima, etc... so there are only some parts that would need to be imported.

True enough... but I want someone that has experience with the skyline working on the car.

down a flight of stairs.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search