Cobalt vs competition in MT - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt vs competition in MT
Friday, June 10, 2005 10:39 AM
Well, 10 days have passed and nobody has posted it, so I will. I figure nobody would because of its finish. And we all know god forbid one brings to light on the Cobalt.
Remember for the longest time, I said don't fall on intro articles and wait for a competition match ups for a more accurate summary , that Cobalt will have to play catch up... again and there is better for the money. Well, MT says the same. The article was well spoken out on all cars. Data was again not to accurate in typical MT fashion, but article is what matters here.
For all you toilet-sitting magazine racers here ya go.

Motor Trend July 2005 edition p.114:

1st place: Mazda 3
2nd place: Toyota Corolla XRS
3rd place:Kia Spectra SX
4th place:Ford Focus ZX4
5th place:Chevrolet Cobalt LS

This is how GM missed the boat again. Then GM wonders why they are going in a tailspin. Well, this what happens when you don't do a clean sheet design. We know GM could have done better, but hey trucks are all the focus lately.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Cobalt vs competition in MT
Friday, June 10, 2005 10:48 AM
I would agree the mazda three is the best out of the bunch. The sedan cobalt is UGLY. The LS interior is dull also.

We all know that the SS has a better interior, powertrain, and chassis (different aluminum a-arms, swaybars, etc. ) To me the SS is the only cobalt worth buying, it's a little overpriced I agree, but I got mine for 19, 600 and its a hell of alot of a car for that money. Im currently arranging my friend at GM Performance Division to begin work on my motor, I'll keep you posted on the results, Im sure even Mr. Goodwrench will be impressed.

Again, the mazda 3 is the best out of that bunch, and the Sedan cobalt is ugly, dull, and underpowered against it's comp. Build quality is still there however.

The SS cobalt is the only Cobalt worth a purchase in my opinion. GM is going to eat alot of money with the rest of them. Just my .02

Friday, June 10, 2005 11:56 AM
im a little suprised the kia beat the focus
but that just goes to show the improvement that they are making and that the korean automakers are here to stay unless they make a huge and fatal mistake

Friday, June 10, 2005 1:23 PM
themarin8r wrote:im a little suprised the kia beat the focus
but that just goes to show the improvement that they are making and that the korean automakers are here to stay unless they make a huge and fatal mistake

What, like making huge Luxury SUV's that no one wants???

Saturday, June 11, 2005 6:45 AM
I really like the Corolla XRS.. I might test drive one soon..

Dark blue 2002 Z24, 2.4 Ltr.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 6:56 AM
lone_wolf wrote:I really like the Corolla XRS.. I might test drive one soon..

Those are pretty sweet cars

Saturday, June 11, 2005 10:10 AM
This class doesn't seem fair, unless all they are doing is rating sedans against one another.

I'm not impressed with the base model (LS) Cobalt anyways, so i don't care anyways

GM didn't miss the boat. They're just right on track with the Cobalt SS. Maybe they missed it with the cheaper Cobalts.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 1:12 PM
wheres wesman, i cant wait for his speechg on how the new gm econobox is the best thing on the road.

-Borsty
Saturday, June 11, 2005 1:15 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:This class doesn't seem fair, unless all they are doing is rating sedans against one another.

I'm not impressed with the base model (LS) Cobalt anyways, so i don't care anyways

GM didn't miss the boat. They're just right on track with the Cobalt SS. Maybe they missed it with the cheaper Cobalts.

Exactly, but Mr. Goodwrench feels compelled to bash the Cobalt in every post. In fact, he often makes new topics just to try and make the Cobalt look like a bad car.

GGT, you need help. You are so obsessed with bashing the Cobalt and Ion that you are completely blind to reality. No matter how many times people prove you wrong, you just keep persisting with your ignorant comments.

Give it a rest, everyone's sick of hearing your opinion.

My CarDomain Page
Saturday, June 11, 2005 1:34 PM
theres wesman, i could have waited for his speech on how the new gm econobox is the best thing on the road.

-Borsty
Saturday, June 11, 2005 1:35 PM
Here comes the Cobalt circle jerk club.

Everytime the Cobalt LS is highlighted as being the turd that it is, every one falls back on 'Oh, ya, but the SS...'.

Thats all we hear.

The SS... the SS... SS... SS...The SS... Oh ya, the SS... SS...

No one cares about the SS. No one is talking about the SS. I read the article... the article stated 'LS', quite specifically.

Just accept it.

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 1:51 PM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:Here comes the Cobalt circle jerk club.

Everytime the Cobalt LS is highlighted as being the turd that it is, every one falls back on 'Oh, ya, but the SS...'.

Thats all we hear.

No one cares about the SS. No one is talking about the SS. I read the article... the article stated 'LS', quite specifically.

Just accept it.

Listen Dipsh!t all I said is that the Cobalt SS is the only cobalt worth buying, and that I AGREED with the article.

Mr. Goodwrench did however forget to mention an article in the back of the SAME magazine praising the new ecotec, and how GM gave them a "detuned" Phase 5 cobalt for testing and they were running low twelves, with power windows, onstar, etc. etc. All of these parts are available through GM if so desired, with all of the parts available in GM'S Build book recently released.

The saturn sky redline will have a turbocharged ecotec, expect to see that motor in the cobalt SS the following build year.

That's all I have to say, I've always been honest as hell about the faults and strenths of this car.

The Ls, and sedans aren't attractive or competitive with it's rivals.

Again I agree 100 % about the article stated here, the Mazda is without a doubt the best fo that bunch.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 1:55 PM

Thats all we hear.

Just accept it.

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 2:16 PM

Again I agree with the article, the Mazda 3's are GREAT cars for the money. Pretty quick to boot.

I've never driven a kia spectra SX, how are these things anyone drive one?

Saturday, June 11, 2005 2:21 PM
wesmanw02 wrote:
RoNuS20 wrote:This class doesn't seem fair, unless all they are doing is rating sedans against one another.

Exactly, but Mr. Goodwrench feels compelled to bash the Cobalt in every post. In fact, he often makes new topics just to try and make the Cobalt look like a bad car.

GGT, you need help. You are so obsessed with bashing the Cobalt and Ion that you are completely blind to reality. No matter how many times people prove you wrong, you just keep persisting with your ignorant comments.

Give it a rest, everyone's sick of hearing your opinion.

LOL this is amazing. this idiot is now bashing MT, a magazine he loves to quote. why dont you understand that its MT not ggt? way to look stupid.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 4:42 PM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:

Thats all we hear.

Just accept it.

-Borsty
Saturday, June 11, 2005 5:38 PM
RkSport 2003 wrote: The sedan cobalt is UGLY.

So is the Coupe.

RkSport 2003 wrote:
The LS interior is dull also.

The SS Version isn't much better. Better seats, same cheap plastics, crappy wheel, etc.

Just my opinion.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 7:34 PM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:

LOL this is amazing. this idiot is now bashing MT, a magazine he loves to quote. why dont you understand that its MT not ggt? way to look stupid.

Bitch are you retarded?? Nowhere did I say anything against Motor Trend - obviously I have read the article, and if thats how the ranking came out, then fine. Apparently they feel the other vehicles in the class are superior, so they ranked them above the Cobalt.

What I was saying is that GGT posted the results just because he hates the Cobalt. Do you have any idea how many car reviews come out every day?? Yet out of all those, he makes a special point just to post the one in which the Cobalt was ranked last.

And not only does he quote the article, but he always has to add in some stupid comment. He said in his post that "GM missed the boat again" Why?? Because of one review?? GGT hates the Cobalt, just face it - I don't know why you always support him like his little troll - all you do is encourage the behavior.

My CarDomain Page
Saturday, June 11, 2005 8:30 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Well, 10 days have passed and nobody has posted it, so I will.
Motor Trend July 2005 edition p.114:

1st place: Mazda 3
2nd place: Toyota Corolla XRS
3rd place:Kia Spectra SX
4th place:Ford Focus ZX4
5th place:Chevrolet Cobalt LS

How dare you state the facts! Now every pimple-faced, simple-minded, snot-assed punk who dreams of one day making big monthly payments on a Cobalt, will take it as a troll.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 8:35 PM
RkSport 2003 wrote:To me the SS is the only cobalt worth buying

Really cannot blame you.
I'd probably say the same thing is I was stuck with making payments on a 2.0 Litre 5 speed, beam axle, when the new RSX is right around the corner, and the existing RSX already has alot more to offer.

Watch for the Cobalt vs RSX test. There is a lot more to quality than Dyno numbers kids.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 8:35 PM

Wow some people need to grow up! LMFAO

That article is correct in my opinion, although again I haven't driven the Kia. The LS Cobalt Sedan is again underpowered, unattractive, and dull compared to it's comp in this segment.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 8:38 PM
Joe Kidd wrote:
RkSport 2003 wrote:To me the SS is the only cobalt worth buying

Really cannot blame you.
I'd probably say the same thing is I was stuck with making payments on a 2.0 Litre 5 speed, beam axle, when the new RSX is right around the corner, and the existing RSX already has alot more to offer.

Watch for the Cobalt vs RSX test. There is a lot more to quality than Dyno numbers kids.

I here you there, I absolutely love the RSX, always have. I built my ex's integra also I even liked the old GSR's. There's no question the RSX will outhandle the SS, it has a more capable chassis.

Again we are all tuners, and change our handling, looks, and speed of our cars on a daily basis, again it's all preference.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 8:49 PM
CLICK HERE

This video is the most accurate and honest review I agree with on all cobalts. It show's the car's performing also which is nice.

The cobalt is no way in hell the best small car out there, but is without question an improvement for GM's small cars. It could have been better, could have been worse that's for sure but it's definitely an improvement.

Like I said, a turbocharged 07 Model would be nice.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 8:55 PM
I can't believe that Chevy and Ford can't build a car to beat a damn KIA... i mean Hyundai is a good quality car, but look how long it took them to get some street-credibility... now Kia has a car that is ranked higher than both domestic brands? Is Kia getting better or is GM and Ford just suck? lol I'd still never be seen in a damn Kia...

Saturday, June 11, 2005 10:32 PM
that's because Hyundai and Kia are trying to built the best they can to show that they are worth of buying. On the other side, GM is trying to impress people by getting rid of the old model names and coming out with the new names that everyone is not used to. I mean it's a good thing that automakers are coming out with more choices, but from the past experiences, they used different name but only the name changed and not what the car comes with.

As for the Cobalt, I personally believe that it was suppose to be the new generation Cavalier and GM just decided to change the name to Cobalt just to get people to be interest in them. But when people tried the regular model, they know they are actually looking at a J-body just with a different name.

And the SS, with that price, people can get something better so not much people are interested in buying them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search