new project= VW content - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new project= VW content
Friday, May 15, 2009 1:47 PM
well seeing how my job requires me to drive a ton and the cavi is rackin up the milage i stumbled across a deal i couldn't resist. a 99.5 VR6 Jetta fully loaded w/ a broken timing chain for $500

and one w/ the J for good measure

Re: new project= VW content
Friday, May 15, 2009 2:08 PM
That's a steal for this price damn!!!

Sure is good looking. I always loved the VW's style. Black and tan interior FTW

Friday, May 15, 2009 2:42 PM
When the timing belt breaks on a vr6 doesn't it trash the whole motor?
Friday, May 15, 2009 2:54 PM
Regardless, 500 for a near mint mk4 body = well invested.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Friday, May 15, 2009 3:26 PM
I mean... there is a fairly high risk in damaging the motor when the timing belt breaks; but a nurse that works with my wife (has a new jetta) and her timing belt broke (so she said) and there was no damage to the engine...???

Yes, thats not a bad deal but it really depends on how much a new engine (if you need one) would be and how much of the labor you can do yourself.

Friday, May 15, 2009 3:33 PM
99% of the time it does bend valves in the motor, i can either have the head rebuilt or i got a new motor lined up for $1,000. Either way im in a 4k car for under 2k. and yes i do all the labor on my own.

Friday, May 15, 2009 6:11 PM
99 would be a 12 valve VR, valves are probably trashed but finding 12v's in a junkyard is like finding LN2's, they're everywhere and fairly cheap. At the very least, cheap enough that when combined with a $500 car you're still getting a damn good deal. At the very least you can replace the motor and sell it to make a few bucks. I wouldn't hang on to anything with a VW automatic for very long though.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 15, 2009 8:04 PM
yes is it the vr 12v, what's wrong w/ the auto trannies? i haven't hear anything bad in my research on these cars

Friday, May 15, 2009 8:37 PM
and no yards have those motors/cars around here- best i've found on a complete motor is 1k

Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:39 AM
I wish I could find a deal like this.

As for the timing chain snapping, and it not damaging the motor, that would be a miracle. The one thing to really keep in mind would be the little electricial issues that are going to pop up. They affected the early mk4 cars with auto transmissions. But, for $1500 (including a new motor), it still just might be worth it. There is the mk4 forums on vwvortex, but I will warn you, there are a TON of tool bags on there.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:16 PM
yeah i signed up for a few forums, and of couse its a car forum wouldn't be w/o the tool bags

Yeah ive seen there are a fair amount of issues, but i can invest 1500 total into this car have it running correctly, drive it a year and still make money on it

Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:22 PM
at the very least, if you didnt wanna invest the time or money to fix it, part it out and you'll make way more than you invested. that thing looks mint.

nice purchase, i love those v dubs.

Check out my build thread!

Monday, May 18, 2009 4:10 AM
RuggedZ wrote:at the very least, if you didnt wanna invest the time or money to fix it, part it out and you'll make way more than you invested. that thing looks mint.

nice purchase, i love those v dubs.

exactly my thinking, but seeing how motor swaps don't bother me and i got a newer motor lined up already i have no worries

Monday, May 18, 2009 5:43 AM
"I wouldn't hang on to anything with a VW automatic for very long though."

My Jetta GLI passed 3 weeks without a drop of auto trans fluid in it due to an a$$ mechanic who forgot to put some back in. The trans lasted two years after the incident. I guess your statement is due to personnal problems with one but may not reflect the problem for the whole bunch.

As for electrical failures and shorts.....Hell yeah! Hang on! lol I was surprised to see the factory wiring attached with only black electrical tape. No wonder each time I put the right blinker on the wipers would go on.

Good luck though!

Monday, May 18, 2009 9:04 AM
ugh i hate wiring! lol thanks for all the input guys

Monday, May 18, 2009 10:58 AM
my brother has the exact same car (color, interior etc) and paid roughly 6 times what you did haha.

Brian

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search