2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid hits over 80 MPGs - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid hits over 80 MPGs
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:30 AM
From Ford...
ONE THOUSAND MILES AND COUNTING: FUSION HYBRID BREAKS 1,000 MILES ON SINGLE TANK, PRESSES ON

The 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid 1,000 Mile Challenge Car

•The Ford Fusion Hybrid team has achieved more than 1,000 miles – over 47 continuous hours – on a single tank of gas, raising funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
•Passing the 1,000 mile mark at 9:08 a.m. this morning, the team will continue as their unmodified, regular production Fusion Hybrid has nearly one-third of a tank of fuel remaining
•The most fuel-efficient, mid-sized sedan in America – the Fusion Hybrid – driven by a team of Ford hybrid engineers, a fuel efficiency expert and a NASCAR star, achieved more than 80 miles per gallon using Eco-Driving techniques

At 9:08 a.m. this morning, the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid team hit the 1,000-mile mark on a single tank of gas, and is continuing its ultimate fuel-efficiency challenge with nearly one-third of a tank of fuel remaining.

The 1,000-mile mark was achieved with the Fusion Hybrid 1,000-Mile Challenge team leader and NASCAR driver, Carl Edwards, behind the wheel. Other team members include world-record breaking hypermiler Wayne Gerdes and several Ford hybrid engineers.

The 1,000-Mile Challenge started at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday, April 25, from Mount Vernon, Va., and is expected to end on Tuesday, April 28 in Washington, D.C.

A regular production version of the Fusion Hybrid – the most fuel efficient mid-sized sedan in America – delivered over 80 miles per gallon over the course of 47 hours of continuous driving. The team will continue to drive until the fuel tank is depleted.

The vehicle is being put to the test to demonstrate Ford’s commitment to be the best, or amongst the best, in fuel economy in every vehicle segment in which it competes and to raise funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in the process.

As part of the event, the team is conducting clinics for media and customers in the Fusion Hybrid, providing interviews and vehicle demonstrations on how simple techniques can make a significant difference to real world fuel economy numbers.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid hits over 80 MPGs
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:21 AM
pretty amazing, looks like ford is doin work!!!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:50 AM
wow.. damn

with GM going under my next car may be a mustang lol

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:02 PM
I need that car for my trip home next month haha 2 fill ups would be awesome instead of 2 per hour like my truck will need.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:11 PM
does anybody know how fast they were going on the 1000mile run

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:58 PM
probably 20MPH.

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:41 PM
very cool

Where I work: HP
What I take for Memory and Focus: Focus Fast

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:28 PM
Wow! I could use that kind of mpg!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:39 PM
its only a matter of time before the domestic auto makers start catching up to the imports ........

Where I work: HP
What I take for Memory and Focus: Focus Fast

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:52 PM
Anyone know what "eco driving techniques" are?I do and it is not realistic in today's world of driving.It's actually more work than you would imagine.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:31 PM
You have to think that they achieved an amazing one tank run of 1,445 miles in the Fusion Hybrid after driving more than 69 straight hours.

BIGGSZ24 wrote:Anyone know what "eco driving techniques" are?I do and it is not realistic in today's world of driving.It's actually more work than you would imagine.

Mileage-maximizing techniques that the Ford team used and recommend to consumers include:

•Slowing down and maintaining even throttle pressure;
•Gradually accelerating and smoothly braking;
•Maintaining a safe distance between vehicles and anticipating traffic conditions;
•Coasting up to red lights and stop signs to avoid fuel waste and brake wear;
•Minimize use of heater and air conditioning to reduce the load on the engine;
•Close windows at high speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag;
•Applying the “Pulse and Glide” technique while maintaining the flow of traffic;
•Minimize excessive engine workload by using the vehicle’s kinetic forward motion to climb hills, and use downhill momentum to build speed; and
•Avoiding bumps and potholes that can reduce momentum

Realistically we may see 45-60 MPGs out of this car.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:44 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:Anyone know what "eco driving techniques" are?I do and it is not realistic in today's world of driving.It's actually more work than you would imagine.

"eco driving techniques" courtesy of carl edwards

Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:52 AM
LMAO so why in the hell would anyone buy a prius when this is available? Hmmmm a decent midsize sedan with reasonable styling or a suppository shaped turdling that gets about the same milage if your lucky?

Also, why would people interested in fuel economy consider the fit, versa, yaris, xA/B/D, aveo, ect when something like this is around?

Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:21 AM
Because buying a Prius, the poster child of greeny-rainbows, gives the buyer a free pass to the "I Care" club.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:22 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:•Minimize excessive engine workload by using the vehicle’s kinetic forward motion to climb hills, and use downhill momentum to build speed
My sister got a ticket for that once. Cops aren't very eco-friendly I guess.
oldskool wrote:LMAO so why in the hell would anyone buy a prius when this is available? Hmmmm a decent midsize sedan with reasonable styling or a suppository shaped turdling that gets about the same milage if your lucky?
Also, why would people interested in fuel economy consider the fit, versa, yaris, xA/B/D, aveo, ect when something like this is around?
Price.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:32 AM
Diesels have been doing near this for years.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:41 AM
I too would like to know what kind of speeds they were driving at. When conditions are correct and I hold 60 MPH my 98 Z24 will hit damn near 40 MPG. If I bump it up to 65 MPH I drop to 34 MPG, and at 70 MPH I can usually pull off 30 MPG.

A couple in a Peugeot diesel pulled off 73.57 MPG. If it was easier and more practical for manufactures to sell diesel cars in the US we wouldnt be so excited about this.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:00 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
•Applying the “Pulse and Glide” technique while maintaining the flow of traffic;

Does anyone else see a problem here? How do you Pulse and Glide when your supposed to be maintaining even throttle pressure?

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:11 AM
Transporter 7220 wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:

Does anyone else see a problem here? How do you Pulse and Glide when your supposed to be maintaining even throttle pressure?

i dont see the problem
maybe if you THINK about it, you use the techniques depending on the situation, but i guess thats TOO obvious to consider......

Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:57 AM
mitdr774 wrote:I too would like to know what kind of speeds they were driving at. When conditions are correct and I hold 60 MPH my 98 Z24 will hit damn near 40 MPG. If I bump it up to 65 MPH I drop to 34 MPG, and at 70 MPH I can usually pull off 30 MPG.
A couple in a Peugeot diesel pulled off 73.57 MPG. If it was easier and more practical for manufactures to sell diesel cars in the US we wouldnt be so excited about this.

Short Hand wrote:Diesels have been doing near this for years.

Then you might remember this thread all to well. 1192 miles on only 15.8 gallons.

"Old technology" in the sense it is a diesel, but that it still shines at what it is supposed to do.
Now can you imagine Fusion's Hybrid but Peugeot's Diesel engine (ala locomotive). Heh, it would be the oil industry's nightmare. haha

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search