Brought home and old Chevy truck - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brought home and old Chevy truck
Monday, April 20, 2009 4:50 PM
My wife & I were given the opportunity to purchase her grandfather's 1976 Chevrolet C20 3/4 pickup recently, and we took delivery of it this weekend. Sadly, her grandfather passed away 4 years ago...but this is a great opportunity to remember him and the family farm this came from.

He bought it new in June of 1976, and it still only has 35,800 miles on it. 200 of those were from driving it from the St. Louis area to Peoria yesterday in the pouring rain! Overall it ran good but the carb needs a rebuild. Its a 350 4barrel / automatic 2WD truck with no options. Not even a cigarette lighter. haven't checked what gears are in it, but it could probably tow anything I want to bring home

It ain't an antique...but its a fun old truck. We plan on using it while we rehab our house (renting a Home Depot truck no more!) and then in a few years we'll treat it to a restoration.

Here's some pictures for those who appreciate older trucks.

Original everything, but its all there and its solid. A little paint on the bumpers & wheels and new hupcaps should do the trick.

Checking things out. New belts & hoses are needed, but the motor is quiet as a mouse and has no smoke. Didn't use any oil either.

Oil change sticker from 1980 showing 10,000 miles.

Mileage when we picked it up 35,666.3

Gorgeous plaid interior!
null

Re: Brought home and old Chevy truck
Monday, April 20, 2009 4:58 PM
looks like and awesome project.

Monday, April 20, 2009 5:04 PM
nice find! always wanted to do up an old C10, one day.

Monday, April 20, 2009 6:08 PM
Are you sure it has not rolled the speedo over once or twice?

either way, nice truck
Monday, April 20, 2009 6:28 PM
RAT ROD IT!

Brian

Monday, April 20, 2009 7:02 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep it original since I'm that kind of person. I dig the rat rods and customs...but I was born into a family that restored old Chevies and I guess I always prefer them that way.

Mileage is original, I have all the paperwork since new. Sarah's grandpa bought it new in 76 when he was 70 years old. Besides hauling cows, grain, and seed he didn't drive it. I cleaned out a ton of old Purina catalogs and grain reciepts so its legit. Most of its life was spent in a pole barn behind the farm house. Thankfully there were no mice or snakes moving around inside it.

I'll post up pics as I fix / clean her up.
Monday, April 20, 2009 9:51 PM
my dad had a '75 custom deluxe II back south of the border. it was really nice. Never gave him any problems. they were built better back then you know! you will like it. enjoy!

03 cav
5 speed sedan
Monday, April 20, 2009 10:23 PM
wow thats nice! best of luck w/ it. sorry 4 ur lose!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:05 PM
BENCH SEATS ROCK!!!

I love old chevy trucks!!

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search