Genisis Coupe - Performance Numbers - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Genisis Coupe - Performance Numbers
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:01 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/15/hyundai-releases-genesis-coupe-performance-numbers/

The Genesis Coupe is being launched in South Korea this week, and we've already heard from CAR regarding their testing of the 310-hp 3.8L V6 model. While CAR achieved a fairly respectable 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds for the V6 model, Hyundai is claiming a sprint to 62 takes 6.3 seconds.

In the Korean home market, the force-fed 2.0L base model will achieve 223 hp and 220 lb-ft with premium fuel, and 210 hp with regular. U.S. customers will reportedly only receive the 210-hp version, and you'll hit that magic number at 6,000 RPM while the turbocharged nature of the 2.0L helps you hit peak torque at a low 2,000 RPM. Hyundai claims the base Coupe's 0-62 time is a rather leisurely 8.3 seconds, but we're guessing that plenty of enthusiasts will get their hands underhood in an effort to greatly boost those numbers.

With its 2820mm wheelbase (290mm longer than the Tiburon/Coupe), Genesis Coupe's cabin provides more headroom, legroom and shoulder room than its predecessor.

The 55/45 front-rear weight distribution endows Genesis Coupe with near-ideal balance for exceptional handling and more refined steering characteristics.

The advantages of a rear-wheel-drive setup include:
* Transfer of weight to the rear axle during heavy acceleration which improves traction
* Larger steering radius as there are no complicated drive shaft joints in the front wheels so that they can now be turned farther
* Better handling and braking thanks to even weight distribution so that the front and rear tires and springs are placed under more even loads, allowing for more grip during cornering and braking

It promises to be the most affordable 300-hp sport coupe on the planet!

At the heart of the story are two performance-focused engines:
The range-topping, all aluminum 310 horsepower (premium fuel), 306 horsepower (regular fuel), DOHC 3.8-liter V6 Lambda RS.
The base engine will be the 223 horsepower (premium fuel), 210 horsepower (regular fuel) 2.0-liter turbocharged Theta.

3.8L Lambda RS V-6

Based on the highly successful Lambda V-6 first introduced in 2004, the high performance RS edition (Racing Sport) of the Lambda features several key modifications which have raised power to a maximum of 303ps@6300rpm (306 horsepower for US market) and peak torque to 36.8kg/m@4700rpm enabling the Genesis Coupe to catapult from zero to 100km/h in just 6.3 seconds. The Lambda RS features all-aluminum construction, Dual CVVT (Continuously Variable Valve Timing) on both the intake and exhaust valves and a revised intake system.

Because of the sporty, low hood line of the Genesis Coupe, RS engineers were forced to redesign the intake and exhaust systems trimming 5cm from its height.

The exhaust manifold's length and cross section were optimized for reduced resistance which maximizes high speed performance and yields a pleasingly sporty exhaust note. At the same time, the diameter of the intake port in the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) module was enlarged to improve engine breathing.

Attention was also paid to stiffening the aluminum engine block so it could endure higher stresses while a piston cooling jet was added under each cylinder to reduce thermal loading and prevent heat damage. More aggressive camshaft profiles on the Continuously Variable Valve Timing. The V-6 is mated to a six-speed ZF automatic with a 3.4 final drive ratio. A six-speed manual is also available and features a short-stroke shifter (under 41mm), optimized gear ratios and triple cone synchronizers (1st, 2nd and 3rd gears) for smoother shifts.

2.0L Theta Turbo

210HP @ 6000RPM
30.8kg-m @ 2000 RPM
0-100km/h in just 8.3 sec.

Theta employs a Dual CVVT system plus a piston oil cooling jet which is positioned under each cylinder to deliver improved cooling and better fuel efficiency.

Chassis

Dual MacPherson struts in the front improve maneuverability by reducing the offset between the wheel center and the tie rods and increasing the caster angle.

A front tower strut bar is optional. The rear rides on a five-link setup with reduced toe variation during acceleration, braking and cornering thus yielding precise maneuverability.

The Limited Slip Differential features a torque sensor for improved ride and handling under any road conditions. The rear differential transfer case sits atop a three-point mounting system (including a hydraulic bush mounting) for reduced noise and vibration

The use of crash durable adhesives in critical areas has increased dynamic torsional rigidity by 15 percent enabling better ride and handling, increased safety performance and reduced NVH. The Coupe is one of the quietest cars in its class thanks to special reinforcements and applications of various poly-urethane foam as well as sound interceptive materials that have helped eliminate both noise and vibration.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH

Re: Genisis Coupe - Performance Numbers
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:05 AM
I know alot of people won't agree...but I think that car is 100% pur sexay.

Brian

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:12 AM
^^Im not one of those I personally love this car.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:44 AM
I'm a hater.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:52 AM
-MD- LD9 wrote:I'm a hater.

I'm with stupid

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:53 AM
i love any company who will take the time to manufacture an actual sports car. not a car they are trying to pass off as a sports car, but an actual purpose built sports car.

HKS and a bunch of oter tuners have already got their mitts on the Genesis Coupe and its only a mater of time before some one shoe horns the Tau V8 in there... by the way, Hyundai is also supposed to factory back this as a drift car

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:13 PM
Like all Hyundais, this one will have some sort of catastrophic and colossal weakness. Then owner in denial syndrome will kick in, and despite the huge problem with their car, they'll insist that it's reliable and virtually problem free. This also begs the question:

How long until someone packs an LS1 with a 6-speed and a ford 9 inch diff in it?

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:22 PM
Wonder how much this car is going to cost? Hyundai was billing this car up as the cheapest 300hp car. Wonder if they were planning on the Carmaro being 22k with 300hp?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:23 PM
D.S.S. Cavalier wrote:Wonder how much this car is going to cost? Hyundai was billing this car up as the cheapest 300hp car. Wonder if they were planning on the Carmaro being 22k with 300hp?

I've heard rumors of under $20k for the base

Brian

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:28 PM
Supposedly my brother-in-law (a manager of a local Hyundai dealer) has a couple of these on the lot already. I'll have to ask him about pricing.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:11 PM
the concept looks sooooo much nicer

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:53 PM
i thought they were to have a v8? guess not
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:54 PM
^^^^^Hey as always!! The orange concept was awesome.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:59 PM
It looks like a winner in econo-performance. Does it still carry hynudai's warrenty?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:21 PM
pricing for US wont be listed yet until a later date from what ive read, but the conversion from Korean Won to USD puts the base at $18,000 and the V6 at $28,000. again, those arent official US market prices...

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:50 AM
so they renamed the tiburon?

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:24 PM
Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the coupe version have the more powerful engines?
Friday, October 17, 2008 4:36 AM
ToBoGgAn wrote:so they renamed the tiburon?

the tiburon still exists to my knowledge. the tiburon is front wheel drive while this s based on the rear wheel drive Genesis sedan.

James wrote:Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the coupe version have the more powerful engines?

300 hp V6... is that not enough? thats the same power output as a mustang GT's V8.

the real problem to me seems to be that hyundai doesnt like to offer alot of motors in its cars. from the beginning they wanted to have a 4 cyl turbo motor, so that eliminated having the V6 as the base motor. having just the 4cyl turbo and the V8 offering in it would bring the price much higher and would also cause them to loose more sales than offering the 6.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, October 17, 2008 6:33 PM
True, 300 horses is a lot and I'd be satisfied with that any vehicle...but doesn't the v6 sedan version also push 300 or close to it? I would just think the coupe would kinda complement the sedan in power numbers, however if the Genesis coupe is the new Tiburon or meant to be in a whole different class than the Genesis sedan and meant to compete with other coupes like the Mustang, Accord, Eclipse then it's more than acceptable.
Saturday, October 18, 2008 12:28 PM
I tracked the Genesis sedan in July and I much prefered the V6 over the V8. The V6 will be a stalwart.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search