GTP s/c bypass question. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GTP s/c bypass question.
Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:09 PM
Is it possible to get a pully that will bypass the s/c?

Also, if it can, could the car run on 87 octane again?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**

Re: GTP s/c bypass question.
Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:58 PM
is this what your looking for?

Thursday, October 09, 2008 4:10 PM
Maybe, I don't really know.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Thursday, October 09, 2008 4:13 PM
its a bypass for the blower:

Quote:

Every OEM installation of this design has incorporated a bypass valve located in the intake ducting. This valve is positioned at the inlet of the supercharger, and is operated by a combination of Electronic Control Module (ECM) and manifold pressure actuators in almost every instance. The purpose of this valve is to lighten the engine load under cruise conditions and allow a clean mode-switch as the driver stomps on the throttle. Under cruise conditions, the valve is open, allowing the intake manifold to receive inlet air without any involvement of the supercharger or intercooler (if there’s an intercooler). As the engine demand calls for boost, the bypass valve closes, diverting intake air through the supercharger and into the intake manifold. This means that under cruise conditions, the supercharger is just freewheeling, without any significant power drain on the engine. With its small rotors, the unit doesn’t make large demands on an engine in any case, but every little bit helps.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 4:48 PM
If you want to bypass the supercharger completely, just take off the belt. The blower uses its own belt, all other accessories run off their own separate belt.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 4:49 PM
Isn't there a separate belt for the s/c? I have seen a 3800 GTP with the s/c belt removed.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:00 PM
Why would you want to do that? 93 octane that expensive for you?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:43 PM
No, it's not that. The car is 11 years old now, the charger is starting to make a rattling noise. It would be easier if I could just not use it. Beside the GF drives it now anyhow, and she doesn't care if it is s/c'd or not.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:52 PM
ok, first, the rattling is the supercharger coupler. it's the part that connects the drive in the hose, to the gears on the rotors. it's like $15 from ZZP, some GM supercharger oil, and an hour of time.

then, unplug the electrical connection on the bypass (the black canister on the front of the supercharger). that'll limit the car to approximately 5lbs of boost (not that it's a whole lot... they only make 6lbs stock). and no, dont run 87, or 89 in it. and you wont want to pull the belt off. believe it or not, 8.5:1 compression makes for a pooch. she wont even be able to pull out in traffic

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:07 PM
yeah they loose alot when the s/c isnt pumping

if you really wanna ditch the s/c , then get the n/a heads and intake

Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:13 PM
Nah, that defeats the point of doing as little work as possible to an old car.

I just want it to get by for another year or so.

Friday, October 10, 2008 11:49 AM
WORK wrote:ok, first, the rattling is the supercharger coupler. it's the part that connects the drive in the hose, to the gears on the rotors. it's like $15 from ZZP, some GM supercharger oil, and an hour of time.

then, unplug the electrical connection on the bypass (the black canister on the front of the supercharger). that'll limit the car to approximately 5lbs of boost (not that it's a whole lot... they only make 6lbs stock). and no, dont run 87, or 89 in it. and you wont want to pull the belt off. believe it or not, 8.5:1 compression makes for a pooch. she wont even be able to pull out in traffic

Listen to him if you wanna spend as little as possible.

Satch Timeline Progress Thread
JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Friday, October 10, 2008 12:46 PM
after changing the coupler , then put a throttle stop on it so she cant go past 1/2 , then you should be safe for 89

Friday, October 10, 2008 12:53 PM
a throttle stop would be a very bad idea, if she ever needed the car to move that could pose a serious risk.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:05 PM
gtp's actually move along very well at half throttle

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:10 PM
That i know but if she needed to floor because some one is about to hit her or something like that they wont move as quick as they can.

Limiting the cars WOT is never a good idea no matter what the car.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:06 PM
if you wanna save money on gas, DONT buy cheap gas. cheap gas is a good way to blow it up. spend some money on some new spark plugs, air filter, pull out the MAF sensor and spray it down with some electrical cleaner from about 6" away. hell, get some new spark plug wires. all'a that and you'll probably give yourself an extra mpg. if you're building boost, it is NOT a good idea to run anything under premium. quite often, these cars have knock BONE STOCK with PREMIUM fuel. take care of the car and make sure she doesnt beat the crap out of it and you should be good to go. that is, unless the things belching out smoke and running like crap already

Andy

ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
Friday, October 10, 2008 4:17 PM
it was meant more of a joke any ways

as work said those will help , plus getting the pcm tuned will help out also

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:31 PM
It's not about the gas. The car has never had anything but 94 octane since I owned it. I was only asking out of curiosity.

It is about cutting repair costs. You know, if the charge is broke, can I not use it, rather then fix it kind of thing.

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:51 PM
ah... well hell, throw in a new coupler and you're good to go.

Andy

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:06 PM
Turns out the charger is a little more pooched then a coupler. So the belt is getting pulled for the time being. Maybe forever. Or until I find a cheap replacement.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:29 PM
Gutty96 wrote:Turns out the charger is a little more pooched then a coupler. So the belt is getting pulled for the time being. Maybe forever. Or until I find a cheap replacement.

?? explain please

Andy

Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:07 AM
If you run out of boost the car runs fune. Every time you punch it, and it tries to go into boost, the engine starts to chug so bad it shakes the whole front of the car, and won't accelerate at all.

It is just transportation now, if it will work fine without the charger, so be it, I just don't see the point in putting money into anymore, if we don't have too.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:33 AM
I guess you should change your sig then. To....

There's only one true love in my life...and I make it drag my girlfriend around.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:24 AM
You know there are accidents you sometimes have to accelerate to avoid.

Haha, just mentioning that....but whatever.

Sounds like a dumb choice to me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search