Can you say Pace Car??? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can you say Pace Car???
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:27 PM
Well a little while ago I bought a 1980 Pontiac Trans Am Pace Car for a new project. Me and my father just recently finish the project, but unfortunately I dont have the new engine pictures yet. We have swapped the motor in this twice already. The first motor was a relatively tame 355 with a VERY old B&M roots type supercharger. It was fun to toy around with but it was just too tame for me. So I ended up going out and buying a Chevy 400 block and went to town on it. =D

When we finished I ended up with a 434 cid small block V8 pushing 650 HP and 600 ft/lbs of torque. Quite the ricer eater =DD

The old engine

We ran a MSD ignition setup.

We redid the whole interior

Re: Can you say Pace Car???
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:28 PM
Feel free to ask questions.

Steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:49 PM
Shoulda dropped in a Poncho engine...

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:13 PM
Normally I would have but the Chevy 400 was a stronger block than the Pontiac version.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:14 PM
if it wa sa regular firebird i would say have at it but a pace care I would of kept a original style

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:17 PM
I wish I could have but when I got the car there was a P.O.S. Chevy 305 in it so i decided why not

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:30 PM
Stephen Bonnell wrote:I wish I could have but when I got the car there was a P.O.S. Chevy 305 in it so i decided why not

well you can check to see what it came with and build up a motor that would of been in it like I'm building up the 400 for my GTO even though the car is a 68 and the motoro is a 72

your car will be worth more if it has a drivetrain to match what came in the car originally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:31 PM

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:35 PM
The car is a daily drive and a street/strip car so I'm not really looking for it to be worth a ton of money

And the car originally comes with a turbocharged 3.8L V6

Not something I wanted to play around with

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:01 PM
nice ricer stealth

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:06 PM
You know what would be even better Brian?? If you knew your cars, Its a Dodge Avenger =D

Sorry I just had to pick on you a little bit

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:26 AM
that avenger is retarded looking from what i see there..... and the trans am could have been done better, like geeds said, if you had gone with what it originally came with. I know some people don't care about resale, but honestly, i would have gone that route. to each his own. and on another side note, i get SOOOO sick of that whole "ricer eater" crap people alway say. Makes it seem like someone bought a nice v8, restored/modded it nicely, but still has the retarded, immature street racer mentality

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:49 AM
First, all i speak is the truth. I would love to see a true tuner that is actually done well, race this car because I know what it can do. Unlike most people I have played on both sides of the road so I do know the tuner scene as well.

And even ask Twinkle, the 1980 Pace Car came with a 3.8L turbocharged V6. It is not a very good engine to tune up.Eventually when I get enough money to do it really well maybe I will as they are never seen anymore.

We will see =]

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:45 PM
Stephen Bonnell wrote:First, all i speak is the truth. I would love to see a true tuner that is actually done well, race this car because I know what it can do. Unlike most people I have played on both sides of the road so I do know the tuner scene as well.

And even ask Twinkle, the 1980 Pace Car came with a 3.8L turbocharged V6. It is not a very good engine to tune up.Eventually when I get enough money to do it really well maybe I will as they are never seen anymore.

We will see =]

you need to brush up on the history on the pace cars , the 80 used a 4.9l V8 , not a 3.8 V6

the V6 turbo t/a was a 3rd gen , using the grand national motor

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:12 PM
Sorry my mistype... I'm too used to talking about tuners so i messed up my engines I confused myself with the 3.8 L67... Thanks for the correction

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:15 PM
no problem , i was LOL'n about it , and thought maybe you confused it with the 3rd gen that was a V6

very nice t/a , my g/f used to have a 10th anniversary t/a the silver and red

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:35 PM
I wish I could have found one but I saw this at a good price so i picked it up =D

The car was a mess but I had plenty of time to do it right and actually get it road worthy =D

And thanks for the compliment, I love this car... And I just picked up a set of Mickey Thompson cheater slicks for when I bring it to the track again..

Best run last time was a 13.5 @ 110.2 MPH

Unfortunately we keep throwing the fan belt off when we hit the higher RPM's so I'm going to have to put an electric fan on it and get a set of crap rims to toss the M/T's on

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:33 PM
summit and jegs both have replica draglites and prostars in just about any size and offset and bolt pattern. just a good idea. I was thinking of some summit prostar 15x10 and 15x4s for DD rims/tires because I love the look of my car with the 15x10 and 15x3 draglites on it when i hit the track.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:38 PM
Thanks for the tip JL... I'm just getting back into the muscle car scene and I'm finally starting to remember all the sites for parts =D lol

BTW I'll post new times when I bring the car up again... Maybe even a couple pics if I bring a buddy up to take some

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:00 AM
are you using a V-belt , or a serp style belt ? if you are using a V , get the deep groove pulleys , i used to toss belts at 6500 in my elco , then switched over to the Z28/vettte deep groove and havent tossed 1 since

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:16 PM
I already have a set ordered =D

just waiting for them to arrive

Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:54 AM
Looks good. I like the stock look with lots of power.

I think some of the 80-81 t/a's did come with 305's in them I think it was the california emission cars and some of the 4 speeds. The rest got the 301 turbo. They're both junk though and almost any other v8 is an improvement

Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:11 PM
found a 81 trans am pace car up here at woodward with the 4.9 turbo and the turbo hood with turbo gauges in the hood

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:13 PM
hahahahahaha u lucky SOB I wish I could have found that when I was looking for a project lol

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:10 PM
Well i still decided to hook up the electric fan and get it off of the alternator belt. And I also am putting a set of Mickey Thompson E/T Street's cheater slicks on the rears to try to get it to hook up at the line a little bit better... Any other ideas??

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:41 PM
suggestions to hook up better at the track? suspension mods. so many people skimp out on suspension. I will be the first person to say how much of a difference suspension makes. I had never drag raced a RWD before and on ET Streets that were not warmed up much I was cutting low 1.8 60's being a complete newb.... the suspension has EVERYTHING to do with that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search