Dual Sport (on/off road bikes)? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dual Sport (on/off road bikes)?
Friday, August 08, 2008 4:36 AM
Anyone know much about them? I live out in the middle of nowhere (around Lebanon, IN if you know where that is), and I have an old 1977 Kawasaki KD175. I don't do very much trail riding with it, but I do a lot of just cruising around the backroads and what not. Sometimes I may tear up one of our fields when they get muddy or go exploring woods around my area, but that's about all I use it for. I've recently made up my mind that instead of trading in my Cavy and upgrading, I want to keep it and get a dual purpose bike instead. This bike would have to make a commute from my house to school at Purdue which is about a 10 mile commute everyday. I would probably need to make a few longer trips on it a few times a week too (50-60 miles or so). I'm not really into cruisers, sport bikes, or scooters, but I really have been looking into a dual sport bike so I could use it for these commutes and still take it off the pavement and have fun every once in a while.

So does anybody have any recommendations? I'm trying to keep it around 200 - 250cc's strictly because of price. These are the models I currently have my eyes on....

2008 Yamaha XT250
2008 Suzuki DR200SE
Honda CRF230L
2008 Yamaha TW200

From what I've read they are all about 60-70 mpg, and top out around 50-65 which would be more than enough for my commutes around the university when I go back to school, and do-able for my longer trips (I'll find a different route to take then the freeway lol).

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the TW. It's the least expensive but from what I've read, it's pretty versatile and reliable. So do you guys have any other suggestions/comments/opinions?

If you live near Indiana and know of one for sale, let me know also because I would rather find a model that's a few years older and a few thousand cheaper, but they are harder than hell to find. Thanks

Re: Dual Sport (on/off road bikes)?
Friday, August 08, 2008 5:02 AM
I don't own one, but for what its worth, I see dual sports on the freeway all the time; i don't think they top at 65. And any of the choices above sound perfect for what you're needs are.

I own a ninja 250, which is what I would have recommended if you didn't require the "off-roadability".

Friday, August 08, 2008 10:32 AM
deuce_coupe_cavy wrote:(around Lebanon, IN if you know where that is)

Yes I know VERY WELL where that is .. lol

From your house to Purdue is 10 miles? You must not live very close to Lebanon. When I went to school in Lafayette it was a half hour drive. I couldn't see getting one of those bikes to make a 10 mile commute. I would just drive the Cavy. It's not like they get crappy gas mileage. But if I had to choose between the 4 bikes you have listed, I would choose the XT250.

Friday, August 08, 2008 10:52 AM
oldskool wrote:I don't own one, but for what its worth, I see dual sports on the freeway all the time; i don't think they top at 65. And any of the choices above sound perfect for what you're needs are.

I own a ninja 250, which is what I would have recommended if you didn't require the "off-roadability".

I have several friends whose ninja 250 I have ridden. I would not suggest that bike to anyone! At 70 mph the thing is turning 8000rpm.

I know you want to keep to a 250 because fof price but the 400's are much better suited if you will be doing 65 for even a short period of time. Most of the 2xx cc on off road bikes you mention are geared very low to and would be almost maxed out going 60-70.

My best advice is ride them all and see which one you like the best.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, August 08, 2008 1:25 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
oldskool wrote:I don't own one, but for what its worth, I see dual sports on the freeway all the time; i don't think they top at 65. And any of the choices above sound perfect for what you're needs are.

I have several friends whose ninja 250 I have ridden. I would not suggest that bike to anyone! At 70 mph the thing is turning 8000rpm.

I know you want to keep to a 250 because fof price but the 400's are much better suited if you will be doing 65 for even a short period of time. Most of the 2xx cc on off road bikes you mention are geared very low to and would be almost maxed out going 60-70.

Actually i think its turning like 9000rpm on stock gearing at 70mph, but it loves every minute of it. Mine has 16000 miles and a great deal of them are above 8k rpm. It means nothing on a sport bike. Hell the thing isnt even comfortable until like 4-5k rpm.

Friday, August 08, 2008 4:56 PM
V rod with knobbies!

Friday, August 08, 2008 6:18 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:

This is true, but 60 would be fine with me. 70 would just be icing on the cake. I'm not looking for speed. I just want something I can commute with to save gas, tear up some trails every once in a while, and ride around the farm back home.

I'm kind of stuck between the xt250 and the crf230l. The first has a little more displacement, but the crf has a 6th gear which would probably come in very handy with those longer commutes. Unfortunately it's also the priciest one.

Friday, August 08, 2008 8:31 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:

Uhh, working as intended, idiot.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 12:30 PM
You could always go with a a 250 and if you decide that 65 isn't really a good enough top speed put a new sprocket on. They don't run that much.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:21 PM
A klr250 will run 80mph and get 75mpg.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search