Cobalt SS help please - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS help please
Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:03 PM
i am looking at purchasing a new cobalt ss turbo and was wondering where i could buy a blow off valve for it.

please educate me on this subject. is it just a relative size to mount to the system?

thank you

Re: Cobalt SS help please
Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:06 PM
Check out Cobaltss.com for some real information, they'll have everything you need.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:07 PM
-EDIT-
It's Cobaltss.net, haven't typed it in awhile since it's in my history.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:36 PM
Hahn made a BOV setup for the lnf solstice.

I'm not sure why you would want one anyway. Other than to make some noise.

An intake will give you more "psssst" and the wheeeee of the turbo.

http://www.turbosystem.com/New_Folder/SolsticeGXPRedline/GXPRedlineBOVUpgrade.htm

Friday, August 08, 2008 3:20 AM
because the cool kids in the wrx have one

Friday, August 08, 2008 5:04 AM
Isn't tuning required to change from a recirculating bypass valve (stock set-up) to a vent-to-atmosphere set up like most aftermarket BOV's? Just something to consider.

Friday, August 08, 2008 7:35 AM
I think Hahn Racecraft is starting to make some stuff ....

Friday, August 08, 2008 8:20 AM
This post screams ricer.

Friday, August 08, 2008 9:02 AM
Craig Lewis wrote:

I'm not sure why you would want one anyway. Other than to make some noise.

i just want one a bit louder than the stock one. i will have the intake installed too

i don't see how this thread is ricer. i don't want it cuz the WRX kids whos' mommy paid for the car, have one.

Friday, August 08, 2008 9:12 AM
yea you may wanna do some research at cobaltss.net because i know on my buddies sti if you change from the stock recirculating bov to an atmospheric one the cars tune doesnt like it.

http://members.cardomain.com/yellow05cavy
Friday, August 08, 2008 9:23 AM
yeah..don't do it..I know it sounds cool..but it will be blowing the air into the atmosphere rather than back in the turbo to keep it spooled. I mean not that it take smuch to spool cause it's pretty small..but still, that will hurt performance..

Friday, August 08, 2008 9:28 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:This post screams ricer.

A BOV isn't rice.. domestic turbocharged vehicle, owner wishes to vent excess boost to atmospheric. Whether or not it's solely for sound or function, blow-off valves sound great, and those that have them likely have them for increased turbocharger life and for the unique sound. Fake BOVs are rice.

Better find a way to make my supercharger not whine, too, since a car making sounds from its operation is totally rice. Guess all those guy's putting intakes on and modifying their cars so it sounds sweeter are ricers too. Someone silence those old muscle cars, they shouldn't make any sounds that even resemble that it's an N/A powerhouse. Same with turbo cars, shouldn't make any sounds a turbocharged setup would, since it's rice if anyone notices your car from the crowd of everyday bland econoboxes.

If someone wants sound, performance, looks, who gives a @!#$, it's not your car.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, August 08, 2008 9:56 AM
[ion wrote: C2]

A BOV isn't rice.. domestic turbocharged vehicle, owner wishes to vent excess boost to atmospheric. Whether or not it's solely for sound or function, blow-off valves sound great, and those that have them likely have them for increased turbocharger life and for the unique sound. Fake BOVs are rice.

Better find a way to make my supercharger not whine, too, since a car making sounds from its operation is totally rice. Guess all those guy's putting intakes on and modifying their cars so it sounds sweeter are ricers too. Someone silence those old muscle cars, they shouldn't make any sounds that even resemble that it's an N/A powerhouse. Same with turbo cars, shouldn't make any sounds a turbocharged setup would, since it's rice if anyone notices your car from the crowd of everyday bland econoboxes.

If someone wants sound, performance, looks, who gives a @!#$, it's not your car.

butt hurt much?

Friday, August 08, 2008 11:54 AM

Thank for your awesome knowledge you've shared with me. Without it I'd be completely clueless, because I've never been around boosted cars before, hell I never owned one.

My point was he hasn't purchased the car yet and this is a concern, to make noise.

You're completely right, this isn't rice..............automatic Alero's with gawdy bodykits and tiny M45 blowers win the prize here. @!#$ you chief, go find a Grand Am to race.

Friday, August 08, 2008 12:02 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:

Thank for your awesome knowledge you've shared with me. Without it I'd be completely clueless, because I've never been around boosted cars before, hell I never owned one.

My point was he hasn't purchased the car yet and this is a concern, to make noise.

You're completely right, this isn't rice..............automatic Alero's with gawdy bodykits and tiny M45 blowers win the prize here. @!#$ you chief, go find a Grand Am to race.

Friday, August 08, 2008 1:36 PM
Course: What is "rice" and how cars work 101

Professor: Chris Byars

Take it all in fellas.

Friday, August 08, 2008 1:46 PM
please tell me thats not him ps on the brick

Friday, August 08, 2008 7:40 PM
Get the car first and then decide on what you want. You do not need a BOV for these cars. Unless you just want your car to run like a gimp and only want the BOV so people will go "Oh my, that must be some crazy @!#$ car to make such noises."

Seriously though, you don't need one. The stock recirculation valve is audible enough.

Friday, August 08, 2008 8:15 PM
well, if it does hurt performance a bit. then i prob won't get one. that's why i said educate me a bit on the matter. so i can decide on it or not. thanks for the info everyone

Friday, August 08, 2008 8:31 PM
You won't need to much to make the SS/TC dip into the low 13.xxx range. I just plan on getting some different I/C piping, down-pipe, electric cut-out after d/p, and a tune and be done with it.

Friday, August 08, 2008 8:51 PM
We are on a forum with a bunch of guys modding Cavaliers and Sunfires for f*ck sake . . . we're all ricers. Stop acting cool.

Friday, August 08, 2008 8:52 PM
also that BOV is not atmospheric, hahns kit is a recirc kit

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, August 08, 2008 9:34 PM

Joe Schulte, not sure why you take a generic response on a car part discussion and turn around and try to make a personal attack against me or what I drive. My reply has nothing to do with it; since you have nothing intelligent to reply with you make it against myself. Also not sure wtf you got that picture from, that things old as hell, was a senior picture. Or why you cared so much to make it against me, since I posted a response that in no way attacked you, besides saying that it's not your car, so who cares.

*shrug* doesn't hurt me; what I said shouldn't have gotten your vagina so sandy.. but if it makes you feel bigger, more power to ya.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, August 08, 2008 11:24 PM
Quote:

yeah..don't do it..I know it sounds cool..but it will be blowing the air into the atmosphere rather than back in the turbo to keep it spooled. I mean not that it take smuch to spool cause it's pretty small..but still, that will hurt performance..

Actually, the recirculating bypass valve doesnt keep the turbo spooled. The problem is that those cars have a mass air flow sensor, and any loss or gain in air past the sensor will seriously screw up the tuning. Basically, what the bypass valve does is take the pressurized air from the IC piping, and vent it back into the intake tubing, BEFORE the turbo, but AFTER the MAF sensor. Every bit of air in the system has to be accounted for. Sort of a PITA to deal with, but much easier to tune and more efficient than the MAP sensor setup in the J-bodies.

Proof that us J-owners are ricers??? An internal bypass valve will, however, work just fine on MAP equipped car, like the J's. But how often do you see a nice, shiny, loud blow off valve instead???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, August 09, 2008 2:39 PM
Z24 Sport wrote:You won't need to much to make the SS/TC dip into the low 13.xxx range. I just plan on getting some different I/C piping, down-pipe, electric cut-out after d/p, and a tune and be done with it.

hahn ss/tc

Cobalt SS/TC Product Development Testing, 7-01-08

Elevation: 660 feet
Conditions: 77-84 degrees, high humidity, 2500 feet adjusted altitude
Modifications:
• Hahn RaceCraft 3” SS CatBack Exhaust
• Hahn/BSR PPC Tuner
Weight with driver: 3165 lbs.
Boost Level: 21-23 PSI
Fuel: Shell 93 Octane

Cobalt SS/SC
07 - VICTORY RED - LSD - GM STAGE 2 - I/H/DP - SPORTLINES -
260whp 241wtq
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search