1996 honda civic, how much is it worth? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1996 honda civic, how much is it worth?
Monday, July 28, 2008 10:23 AM
Quote:

it's a 1996 honda civic ex 2 dr coupe. silver in color and has been painted within the last month so no rust on the body. it has a 5 spd. manul tranny. the body of the car has about 152,500 miles but the engine itself came out of a honda dx with only 113,000 miles and i average about 35 to 40 mpg. it has power everthing including sunroof but currently no a/c. i replaced the front windshield so no cracks on the front windshield. cosmetically its an 8/10 it does have minor scuffing on the rear bumper and little to no dents. the car mechanically runs fine only issue is that if your shifting hard or to fast the tranny tends to grind from time to time. just recently the tachometer went out so i had to replace it with a dx cluster so it has no rpm gauge and for some reason it threw a check engine light. i asked around and people said its common when you swap out a cluster. overall the car looks great and still runs fine i daily the civic almost everyday except for rainy days only cause im a little anal about getting the car wet unless i'm washing it. it's adult driven so i dont beat on the car and i hardly ever go over 55 miles.

im not buying the car, but i have someone offering to trade it to me as partial payment for my motorcycle. more or less if i do take the car as part of the deal, i will probably just turn around and sell it out right as soon as i can. it's a little hard to look up something like this on kbb.com cause of the engine swap, so i need to know how much you guys seriously think it's actually worth.

Re: 1996 honda civic, how much is it worth?
Monday, July 28, 2008 10:33 AM
i'd say not much, its had the engine replaced, as well as he's telling you with this sentence:

Quote:

if your shifting hard or to fast the tranny tends to grind from time to time.
that the car is/has been beat on. new paint? probably means that there's body work been done. BUT, at he end of the day, it's a honda. any 16 year old with mommy's purse would pick it up for probably $2000.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, July 28, 2008 12:16 PM
i think you would be better off having him sell it before buying your bike because it will not look good if you try and sell a car you havent even owned for a week, people will question why, and will doubt the reliability of the vehicle even if you are telling the truth

Monday, July 28, 2008 6:30 PM
that car sounds like its been through hell and back! defintaly dont take it. Let him sell it. an engine being replaced wiht a DX means a blown engine, gotta wonder why. If the tranny grinds, chances are theres a few worn teeth on the gears, and since its had a blown engine you know that tranny has been beat! New paint isnt bad, but on an abused car id much rather actually see why it was painted. A good paint job should cost a few grand and you know that wasnt spent here, so Id want to know exactly why it was painted.
All in all, let him take out a loan until he sells that hunk of crap and use the loan money to buy ur bike, you'll get stuck with a peice of metal in your driveway that no one wants!
just my $.02

"Louis, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child,
that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue
with a pervert" -- Peter Griffin
Monday, July 28, 2008 6:55 PM
Offer a sammich, and keep the cheese as your bargaining chip.

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:34 PM
Mat Cacciatore wrote:All in all, let him take out a loan until he sells that hunk of crap and use the loan money to buy ur bike, you'll get stuck with a peice of metal in your driveway that no one wants!
just my $.02

This is the best advise you have been given. You're taking his headache and giving him a motorcycle. Cash or money order is the only thing i'd accept, i wouldn't want to be stuck with someone elses problem.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Monday, July 28, 2008 9:25 PM
yeah, im a dunce... forgot to attach pics that he sent me. i was in a bit of a rush when i posted this before work.

im probably going to pass on the car, but i still want more opinions.

edit: i should also mention that the only reason im considering getting the car is cause i know i can sell it for $3000. a car that gets 35-40 mpg is a pretty hot commidity right now, so im pretty sure i could get that price (just got to find the right schmuck who doesn't know much about civics). that money could make one hell of a dent in paying off my debt, which is something i really want to do. yeah, it's a lot of hassle to try and sell it... but the payoff would be worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 28, 2008 9:52 PM
Attachments
DSCN0148.jpg (182k)
DSCN0152.jpg (168k)
Picture001.jpg (90k)

Monday, July 28, 2008 9:52 PM
Yeah, all honesty, without seeing the interior I know a few friends that would give 2000 for it or even 2500. That block is most likely a D15, and not worth the metal it is made out of unless it is boosted. The price i quoted was for the shell alone.

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:43 AM
Darrel Lyons wrote:Yeah, all honesty, without seeing the interior I know a few friends that would give 2000 for it or even 2500. That block is most likely a D15, and not worth the metal it is made out of unless it is boosted. The price i quoted was for the shell alone.

your friends are idiots if their paying 2k for a shell

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:46 PM
Moar Candy! LAWL wrote:
Darrel Lyons wrote:Yeah, all honesty, without seeing the interior I know a few friends that would give 2000 for it or even 2500. That block is most likely a D15, and not worth the metal it is made out of unless it is boosted. The price i quoted was for the shell alone.

roll your friends are idiots if their paying 2k for a shell
actually, around here that era civic is having a boom... they go for 2500 in junkyard shape. i looked in the auto shopper today, there was a 97 with over 200,000 miles being sold for $2,699, needed a trans. hell, a base model 96 cav will pull 2,400 around here.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:10 AM
Doesn't help much that my friends are idiots...

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:28 AM
i dunno the way ppl spend money on those things prob like 8k lol

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:02 AM
$500-$750 tops.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Saturday, August 02, 2008 7:29 PM
Hmmm If it had a B Series in it. around here it would Sell Like Hot Cakes.... There Scarced around here an people are willing to pay for it.. I was looking for a 92-95 Civic Coupe or Hatchback. Just for the fact gas is high an would help me save tons of money.

Sunday, August 03, 2008 3:48 AM
with the price of gas, civics are going up in value. that one you listed sounds like a hack job. iv never heard of a cluster swap throwing a cel on a civic.....

12.5@116 2.0 60ft
Monday, August 04, 2008 10:06 AM
well, i told the kid i don't want the car and that he should just sell it himself.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search