grand national. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
grand national.
Friday, May 30, 2008 7:42 AM
quick question..
the buick Grand National.
how do they keep the motor from blowing up if the fuel runs threw the turbo on the carborated motor?
or does it flow threw the turbo?

Re: grand national.
Friday, May 30, 2008 7:46 AM
are you sersious?????????????????????
Friday, May 30, 2008 7:47 AM
**serious***
Friday, May 30, 2008 7:48 AM
I think you have a few things you need to research before asking this question....

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:01 AM
This thread is lacking tits

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Friday, May 30, 2008 8:09 AM

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:17 AM
problem solved.....

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:22 AM
John Benham wrote:I think you have a few things you need to research before asking this question....

What things are that?

sig not found
Friday, May 30, 2008 8:28 AM
this is why i'm asking the question...
dont have to be a dick.. i didnt know..thats why i asked

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:32 AM
I'll be kind enough to say the engine is fuel injected and that you need you should just Wikipedia Grand National...

By the logic of your question every turbo car would be putting fuel through the turbo... which is a huge @!#$ no no.

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:33 AM
Like....the only carb'ed GN was the '82 model that only 215 were made....and I doubt that is what the OP was refering to....

Like....maybe how carbs work.

and like maybe how turbos work....

or how fuel systems work.....just for starters...

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:37 AM
i know how carbs and turbos and fuel systems work.. i jus thought the gn was carbed' thats why i had the question... some one a while ago told me that they were and that the fuel flowed threw the turbo and that would be why i asked how they did it with out blowing up.

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:39 AM
Yeah well that just doesn't work like that, ever.

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:39 AM
Turbos are air pumps.
They do not burn fuel, nor do they "blow-up" fuel.
They are really just 2 fans, one blowing air (or air/fuel) into the engine, the other being blown on by the exhaust that drives the first one.

So it simply blows the fuel and air from the carb into the intake... no fire.

sig not found
Friday, May 30, 2008 8:41 AM
KFLO wrote:Yeah well that just doesn't work like that, ever.

You are SOOOOOOO wrong.

sig not found
Friday, May 30, 2008 8:44 AM
John Benham wrote:Like....the only carb'ed GN was the '82 model that only 215 were made....and I doubt that is what the OP was refering to....

Like....maybe how carbs work.

and like maybe how turbos work....

or how fuel systems work.....just for starters...

Actually, regals were carb/turbo from 78-82 and while they aren't actually GNs, its a common and simple mistake to refer to them that way. This doesn't make the person an idiot.

sig not found
Friday, May 30, 2008 10:16 AM
^^^That still doesnt change the fact that no turbo passes fuel through it.....carbed or not.

Either way, when the subject is "Grand national" not Carbed turbos....I would assume ONLY to include the GNs, not T-types, or any other buick turboed v-6.

Obviously the OP got bad info, and should read up on the subject. Thats all I am sayin.

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:16 AM
John Benham wrote:^^^That still doesnt change the fact that no turbo passes fuel through it.....carbed or not.

Either way, when the subject is "Grand national" not Carbed turbos....I would assume ONLY to include the GNs, not T-types, or any other buick turboed v-6.

Obviously the OP got bad info, and should read up on the subject. Thats all I am sayin.

3.8lt turbos DID HAVE Carbs.
3.8lt turbos w/carbs DID flow fuel through the turbo. The carb was bolted to the inlet of the turbo. Every major OEM factory turbo/carb combo did the same.

So maybe you should be the one doing the reading.

sig not found
Friday, May 30, 2008 11:28 AM
um.....no, apparently you do.

Yes, some 3.8 turbos were carbed....as stated in my origional post.

here is a DIAGRAM of how the turbo carb motors go....they force AIR into the carb, not the other way around

heres an auction showing the setup on the motor in question.....showing turbo 1st, to carb 2nd. turbos DONT flow fuel. there is no way fuel would stay atomized through charge pipes, intercoolers, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Buick-Regal-3-8-231-Turbo-Turbocharger-setup-carb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ016QQitemZ260169923009

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:40 AM
Actually, I withdrawl that statement, these are indeed a draw through system. I was looking at the second exhaust port thinking it was the air intake,
so yes, these systems do draw fual/air from the carb and directly into the intake mani. The only reason this sysyem works is because it is right on ith intake manifold, keeping the fuel atomized.

Friday, May 30, 2008 12:25 PM
John Benham wrote:I think you have a few things you need to research before asking this question....

Friday, May 30, 2008 12:28 PM
eh, heh, I took my own advise

at least I figured it out before I made to much of an a$$ of myself.

of course there are still only 215 of the GN's ever produced that are carbed.

Friday, May 30, 2008 12:34 PM
and the 4.9 turbo pontiac wasnt the only motor that was made as a draw through

yenko did some turbo Z28s that way

next i suppose your gonna say you cant run fuel through a supercharger either ? LMAO

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
Actually, I was wrong again....the GN that were carbed, with the 4.1L v6 werent even turboed, and the ones that were v6 carbed turbos sported a 3.8, and have production numbers in the teens....

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:11 PM
That's why you don't argue with protomec hehe. He's an old timer that does this @!#$ for a living . Good thread though! Lots of good information and the arguing stayed classy no name calling!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search