Still Car Shopping...More opinions needed - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Still Car Shopping...More opinions needed
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:19 AM
OK so I posted about a month back, looking for a truck. My main points behind this decision were this:

1. Better ill-weather handling (CNY winters....throw your hands up)
2. Looking for more room, and now that I think about it, I really don't understand what I was thinking either.
3. Overall greater feeling of manliness.

After much speculation and countless car lot trips, I've decided that with gas prices now surpassing the cost of a Big Mac value meal, a truck simply isn't a necessity. I AM however, still looking for something that doesn't morph into a tobaggon in 2 inches of snow and have discovered a new found interest in all things Subaru (stargrrl I know you'll be happy to hear that), specifically the Impreza. Now, before we go crazy with the STI comments, an STI simply isn't going to be in the cards this time around, my finances although a bit more worthy than Cavalier standards, aren't quite there yet. Besides, if I could afford an STI I'd get a GTI instead anyway, but I digress.

ANYWAY, what is everyone's opinion on just a plain jane Impreza? I'm thinking RS (if they still call it that) and would be looking for an '07 because the new one's are butt ass ugly. I MIGHT (stress MIGHT) look at just an older regular WRX if the price is right, but it isn't a total necessity for me and as painful as it is to admit, I don't need a turbo (tear). How is the plain old 2.5 in the Impreza? How is the "power", and by power, please understand I am merely stating how will it do on my daily communte passing Caravans and Neons, not Evo VIII's. Is the build decent Subaru quality? I've only ridden in one Subaru and it was an earlier model WRX, is the quality comparable? Again, I am not too interested in power, but how does it handle on the occasional possibility I make an autocross or 2?

I'm looking for opinions, again, let's discuss...

Brian

Re: Still Car Shopping...More opinions needed
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:36 AM
I am driving a 2007 impreza 2.5i (they were called rs) and I am pretty happy with it. I was totally amazed at how much snow the thing can plow through and not go sliding around everywhere. I will say that I think its very good in cornering and keeping its grip due to the all wheel drive of course. My interior also has been good about not rattling like the 2 cavs I owned. Performance wise, its not a race car obviously but its quick enough to get you around and make you feel safe in it. Not a bad car for the money and I have no complaints. (especially with gas prices right now)

Jason
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:26 PM
Whooooohoooo!! Yessssssssssss

Good choice on the Impreza! It's safe, gets great gas mileage & owns the snow! You'll be fine on the speed & quickness. The AWD is so surefooted, you'll take off solid instead of the way FWD reacts. My '99 Outback also has a 2.5, although I see that the Impreza rocks 173hp while my Outback has 165. Yeah, you'll be good.

I've been fighting the urge to buy a new hatch myself. Adding on all options I want, I still get payments under $300. Subaru vehicles hold value so well, it's one of the only brands I would ever buy new. That said, don't be shocked at what you're looking at price wise with one that's used. Although I know you don't dig the new style (check out the sport grill option, it's a big change for the front IMO), it's almost better to go new because the price is so close, especially if you're talking only a year or so old. New usually gets you better financing too, they were offering 0% the last I looked!

Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:57 AM
Make sure you get one with the cold weather package! Subaru's in Upstate NY winter FTMFW!!!!

Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:53 PM
rebuild an AMC Eagle
Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:34 PM
What exactly is your price range?

If you want fun, practicality and a little edge, look at 2-3 year old Legacy GTs, which can be had for around 17-20K.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:04 PM
I also am rocking a Subaru, LGT wagon (2.5 motor). For speed, its obviously not going to be setting land speed records, but for an everyday car, its awesome. Since I have the wagon, MPG isnt the best (avg around 24-25 mixed highway and city), but its also quick enough to move around traffic pretty easy. As for the snow, its been GREAT. Crappy all season tires, a foot plus of snow, and I didnt get stuck, or even slide around too much (tires).

But if you are looking for a new one, Cold Season package is FTW. Heated rear view mirrors!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:19 PM
I never understood this whole 4WD/AWD in cold weather thing. I live in Quebec and even in the worst weather, and last year was a bad one, I've been able to navigate perfectly well with just a regular FWD Sunfire with good winter tires. I'm not saying AWD isn't better (It certainly is) only that it's hardly "neccesary" to have it in order to get around.
Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:30 PM
come to buffalo and buy my Benz

ill give you a good deal

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:06 PM
haha you've had it, what, a month?

Brian

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search