My Solstice GXP and a couple new toys. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My Solstice GXP and a couple new toys.
Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:22 PM
After driving a totally stock car for 4 years. My modding bug has bit me again.

It's only a start. Well see where it takes me. It is nice to have a couple personal touches on your ride. I'm proud of them.

MBRP did the work. It's not clear if it will make production or not.

Re: My Solstice GXP and a couple new toys.
Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:15 PM
I just got a link to the videos and dyno results.

http://www.mbrp.com/solstice/

Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:56 PM
Very nice, I had the priviledge of driving a GXP (same color) for a few months, and I had ALOT of fun in that car. Storage space and long distance travel for a taller guy aside, that car is very fun to drive. Very quick and agile steering ( quick lane changes in so cal traffic is a plus) and the powerband and delivery on the turbocharged ecotec is awesome.

I really like your exhaust setup, please keep us posted on any updates!

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:24 AM
Looks good Craig.

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:40 AM
Hey Jacob. Long time no see. Maybe you could take some better shots of the car for me. You always seem to get it right.

There was a moment when I had buyers remorse. Another temporary thought of claustrophobia, but it passed. I am over 6 ft and don't have the acoustic headliner. My head is actually further from the roof than my old Monte. The only real tight spot for me is the left side widow and frame. When I first got it, I smashed my head on it repeatedly. My wife thought it hilarious. Left shoulder checks are a little different now. I have particular shoes that I must wear. My dress shoes make nice peddle work impossible.

I make trips to Costco with it. When the top is up, you can fit a great deal in there. A car for business travel, it is not.

City traffic zippability is awesome. 180 dregree 1 point turn in the rain the other day. I like that! Steering feel isn't bad. I wouldn't call the system transparent. I think the best feature of the car is the position of the seats in the car. There is a certain proporsion with respect to the rear wheels that makes a sports car. The butt feel in this car adds a great deal to the driving experience.

I would like a bit more power. I'm working on that. This is my first turbo car experience, and at this time, I am impressed if not entirely satified.

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:54 PM
nice #'s , not sure i like the c/f mufflers , but they dont look to bad on there

ill have to watch the vid when i get home

Friday, May 23, 2008 7:39 PM
that cat-back certainly looks like it helps the spool-up a ton. you can see in between 3000-3600rpm where that dip is completely gone. I bet it feels a lot more "zippy" now.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 3:08 AM
The mufflers are available in SS. The tips are optional. You can remove them leaving a refined finish. I am going to experiment with different looks and finishes. I really like that idea.

The car does feel tougher now.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 6:18 AM
Hey Craig, I was wondering if that was you posting over on the Sol/Sky forums. I just membered up over there (4sdair). Picked up a "used" '08 Sky Redline for $23k.

Saw this posted on the Sol board but didn't have time to reply. Looks really good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, May 24, 2008 6:19 AM

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Saturday, May 24, 2008 11:11 AM
Nice man, I can't wait to see the new "coupe" version, targa top, and increased boost coming for '09.
I've heard bout 300+ hp out of the box.
Saturday, May 24, 2008 11:37 AM
Have you considered upgrading the Turbo to an LS1?

Looking good, I like the mufflers.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 3:36 PM
Craig Lewis wrote: When the top is up, you can fit a great deal in there. A car for business travel, it is not.

I know of at least one person that fits in the trunk of a Solstice (deck lid closed).

Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:05 PM
Yup, that's me on the Solstice Forum. Seems to be a nice bunch. Thanks for the compliments.

I love the look of the coupe. The fact that you don't need a helmet for the track is nice too. From my sources, the staged upgrades will be available in the spring 09 for all Kappa turbo's.

I would kill for an LS1 and commit genocide for and LS9. At the time I got this, an 07 Vette came up for pretty cheap. The auto tranny turned me right off of it. Plus, the car was in pretty scrappy shape for a low milleage car.

There is no way anyone could fit in that trunk. In one piece anyway.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:35 PM
I beg to differ with you on that one. I can assure you that the child safety release does in fact work.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 4:00 AM
mitdr774 wrote:I beg to differ with you on that one. I can assure you that the child safety release does in fact work.

I laughed at that "safety" feature when I saw it. I didn't think it possible for anyone to get much more than half of themelves in there. After looking at my trunk last night , I still find it hard to believe, but I'm not sure I want pics.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 4:37 AM
There are several tuning packages for the GXP; I'm sure you've read of "wester's garage hot tune". There is also the BSR tune available from Hahn, not to mention their intercooler upgrade. It seems that the ony thing holding this power plant back is cracking the boost and torque management parameters of the ECU, then you'll be havin some fun!

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:33 AM
Craig Lewis wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:I beg to differ with you on that one. I can assure you that the child safety release does in fact work.

I laughed at that "safety" feature when I saw it. I didn't think it possible for anyone to get much more than half of themelves in there. After looking at my trunk last night , I still find it hard to believe, but I'm not sure I want pics.

Its not as bad as you might imagine. You coming to the bash?? If so and you have the car I will show you it is possible.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 6:13 AM
I was hoping to keep my warranty. That's why I am waiting for the box tune from GM. The Westers has me interested. I met a few people with it, but they would not run me. I need more personal experience with it before I can commit.

When I first got the car, I looked on the HP Tuners site and noticed it was supported. It was actually the final feature that got me to sign for the car. Well, I know to look into things better and I soon realised that HP Tuners was incomplete and the hopes for the future were grim. The decision to leave the car alone for warranty sake was made. At this time, I almost wish I had purchased the MBRP car with the big Hahn kit. HAd it been a little cheaper, I might have.

The new toys have renewed my thrill. Considering my personallity, I may have just shoveled my first load of a likely cavernous money pit.

I hope to get the DP/cat soon. Well see how the car responds. My goals are not entirely for maximum power, but sustained. Those are always my expectations of exhaust. It's too bad the market has demanded that "peak number". In my opinion, my new system was responsibly designed by a company with a long history of finely tuned systems. The nice curve is an additional perk that everyone can appreciate. I expect that with the addition of a DP/cat, this system will be THE choice for the guys that want to push the limit with the engine.

I am thinking of doing an intake myself. I would like something a little different/better than what is being offered at this point. An airbox to match my heat shield would look sharp.

I have eyed the Hahn Intercooler. I don't think I'll be able to slip a thousand bucks past the wife right now. There is the other one that's on sale now. Still, I have pushed my luck lately. Today, instead of a trip to the track, I am visiting different "architectual highlights" of Toronto during their open house day. Lets not talk about the reaction to the price of a nice SA certified helmet.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search