07 G6 SE vs 07 Impala LS - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
07 G6 SE vs 07 Impala LS
Saturday, April 05, 2008 7:29 AM
So I did a little looking around at cars yesterday, and one dealer in town had these two cars.

2007 G6 SE, with the 3.5l v6, Green with black interior, decent amount of options, more then enough for a DD anyhow. For $15,554.

and

2007 Impala LS, with the 3.5l v6, Silver with black interior, wood trim, same options for the most part, for 16,900.

I didn't drive either yesterday, it was raining. I am going today, but before I go, what are your thoughts on these two cars? I look at it this way. The Impala is much larger and nicer to drive, smooth a comfortable. The G6 has the same engine with more HP, which to me, in a smaller car probably adds up to better MPG, and more fun. It is sportier looking, but not as large or comfortable to drive. Price seems a little better, as the mileage is about the same on both, so basically I would be paying for the nicer overall vehicle in the Impala, but a lesser performer.

Any thoughts before I head into town?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**

Re: 07 G6 SE vs 07 Impala LS
Saturday, April 05, 2008 7:55 AM
-Show up in a loin-cloth.
-Offer to pay in Pesetas and rubles, but no other coin.
-When you go to test-drive say the following with no inflection of irony:
  • "Main-Screen turn on"

• "Does this thing come with ejector seats?"

• "Can I get the interior in Crushed velvet and baby-heads?"

• "How dent resistant are the body panels in a 30km/h collision? 40?"

• "Mind if I drive this in reverse? I want to see what it'll do on the highway"

• "Is there a front seat beer cooler option?"

• "OOh... this is one of those ones you can trick out like in Stupid Ricer Tricks, right? I love that game."

-Ask where the J-brake is.
-Put the key in the ignition, pull it out almost immediately... Break out a vibrator and explain that you have warm this little bitch up.
-Bring a jug of maple syrup, treat it like a puppy.
-Make a note that there is no aromatherapy option, and complain about that with righteous indignation.
-After you start the car say in as deep a tone as you can muster "AUTOBOTS... TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT!"
-Find out if there's a factory/dealer option that allows you tuck 26" rims.
-When you see the MPG rating, ask if you can see its semen MPG, and note that a friend named DTP wants to know.
-When you go for the test drive, demand to ride on the rear bumper. If they refuse tell them you brought your own tow-rope, life vest and cast-iron frying pans. Don't take no for an answer.
-Ask if the car makes you look gay, take your shirt off, stick your butt up, dip one hip and tease a nipple and look at the sales person like they're a rare steak and ask again.
-Find out if the centre console is removable... when they ask why, state flatly "road head."
-Ask if any Amish have been in the car. If they say no, smell every seat and growl faintly after each sniff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, April 05, 2008 7:59 AM

Saturday, April 05, 2008 7:57 AM
LOL!!!

WTF!

how do you come up with this stuff?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Saturday, April 05, 2008 8:00 AM
You said you had a friend that didn't @!#$ but once a week... that unlodged a lot of pent-up weirdness.

Saturday, April 05, 2008 8:10 AM
LOL, true that.

But hey, you have any thoughts on the two cars I am going to look at today?

Saturday, April 05, 2008 8:32 AM
well i never driven a g6 not a fan of the look of them.but.the new impala are nice cars.my boss has one and i drove it around the parking lot.only thing i didn't like was lack of head room.i am not a tall guy and my head was rubbing the roof.

Saturday, April 05, 2008 8:41 AM
I guy I work with just bought a 2007 G6 and he loves it. Has decent power and the 2007 r priced really well. On the other hand my sister rented one and said it was @!#$ to drive (tho i think she is comparing it to her mustang gt). She said that the fit and finish of the interior was nice, much better then the grand am the G6's predecessor. In my own opinion i think they are a great highway cruiser, being the 3.5L they make most of their power in the higher RPMs if its the same 3.5L i'm thinking of, a little sluggish of the line but the G6 will be the better handler and quicker of the 2 if thats what your looking for.. You should find a G6 and Impala forum and search around to see if there are any common problems with either of these cars.. I did hear some people having problems with the G6 but i don't remember what it was.

Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:04 AM
Impala for comfort and style, G6 for everything else.

Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:21 AM
I have driven both a fair amount of times. I like the G6 better. To me it felt like it was just a better engineered car; I found it more comfortable and I really liked how it handled. But I also don't really like large cars, Impala felt too large to me.
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 6:34 AM
My parents just bought an 08 G6. Base model, with sport package (3.5L and 3.05 final drive). So far, I am very impressed with it. The drive-by-wire throttle isn't fine-tuned real well, if you press on the gas to pull out, it won't go anywhere, and if you press just a tad harder it'll grab and launch you - well, not really launch, but more of a jackrabbit start. Our 06 Mustang also has electronic throttle and it drives like a cable-driven unit, so it's just the G6's programming. That's really the only complaint, though. The seats are comfortable and have more lateral support than the car can dish out in G's, the back seat is very roomy (my dad is 6'2" and I'm about the same, and if he sets the front seat where it's comfortable, I still have a lot of leg and head room in the back), the engine has has good mid-range power (low-end would probably also be good, if not for the electronic throttle limiting the throttle angle at low-rpms) and gets decent fuel mileage (we're averaging 20mpg 70:30 city:highway). The interior is also very nice, it's not a BMW or Lexus, but it's simple (unlike a Grand Am's) and there's enough chrome trim to keep to keep the simplicity from being boring. The highway ride is nice, 60mph is 1700rpms (again, base model with 3.05 final drive) and very little wind or road noise. In fact, with the stereo at a normal listening level, the only sounds you really hear are the tires going over expansion joints, and that's no more than a muted "thump." The base model stereo is OK, the Monsoon in the GT would probably sound better, but as-is, GM stereos usually sound pretty good (can't hold a candle to the Shaker 500 in the Mustang, though). I can't say anything about reliability, since we've only got a little over 500 miles on it, but (so far) no interior squeaks or rattles

All in all, I really do like the car. I wouldn't consider it a particularly "fun" car to drive, but it's not really supposed to be. I vote for the G6

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 7:52 AM
IIRC there is no SE package - the dealership is carring over the SE label from the Grandam line.

G6's
value package
base
GT
GXP

Now that is out of the way. I bought a G6 back in Oct. I love it. Everything what brown eye said is mostly true. I have noticed a few squeaks but it is a GM car and the @#%% city roads suck, so it is expected.

Reference material

http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/g6/2007/index.html

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/impala/2007/index.html

http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/index.php

I know Keeper also got a G6.

Basiclly I would say the G6 unless you need the bigger car, as a DD

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search