2.4l grand am performance suggestions please - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4l grand am performance suggestions please
Monday, February 25, 2008 6:02 PM
newbie here,dont know if im posting in the right forum but title pretty much explains, so far i got a underdrive pulley ,cold air intake,poly upper & lower engine mounts ,skunk2 tuner muffler and gutted cat, i was just wondering what i should do next? and what all can i do with the pcm?i know you cant chip it , but what can i do to adjust timing and fuel curves? thanks in advance,any insight would be appreciated.

Re: 2.4l grand am performance suggestions please
Monday, February 25, 2008 6:17 PM
Well since you have a 2.4L, you can browse any of the forums on here since our 3rd gen J's use the 2.4L as well..

As far as tuning, alot of us are using HPtuners, but if you dont have heavy supporting engine mods then there really isnt a need to adjust timing and fuel curves.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, February 25, 2008 6:55 PM
SO HPTUNERS WOULD BE POINTLESS RIGHT NOW? WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?
Monday, February 25, 2008 9:27 PM
what about "secret cams" + hptuners?
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:23 AM
joe bland wrote:SO HPTUNERS WOULD BE POINTLESS RIGHT NOW? WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?

save your money and get a new car....

but i do have a set of secret cams that you could use if you wanna buy them off me.. they would give ya some decent gains

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:39 AM
simple boost. 2.4 and 2.2 eco grand ams can boost where v6 grandams are limited.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:03 AM
grand am's are not necessarily simple boost unless you are reffering to the s/c. My turbo setup had to be completely custom right down to the manifold and tuning is still a problem for me. Honestly man, you'd be better off saving your money and buying a newer J to boost if thats the route you decide to go.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:03 AM
Simple to boost no but they have a bigger engine bay and wider stance plus bigger tires. I have an 01 alero. it's a big car to fit anything you can think of. as for fuel if he had the ecotec i would tell him to buy the port fueler from hrc. I would buy it cut off the flange and attach the 2.4 intake flange. adjust it for the 2.4 thiers fuel. the rest is custom but every 2.4 has to be custom now adays becuase no one makes a kit. the fueling is the main issue.,

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:59 AM
Talk to SpyHunter on here....he knows what hes doing..

I had big plans for ours untill some stupid cunt totaled it...ill see if i can dig up some of the info

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:07 AM
Since your GA is a 96, you are going to have some def. fuel tuning issues. HP tuners doesn't support anything lower than 97 so you would need an ecm and main engine harness swap. Spy had a 2001 ga and he was able to run the SC reflash which raised fuel pressure under boost. 96-98 guys can't because our cars are alpha N.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:13 AM
didnt even realize the year..

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:38 PM
Yeah thats why i sugest a modified verson of hrc port fueler. That is the 1 problem with turboing any car.Hell hrc might even still have the original plans to the 2.4 portfuler. I know they had 2.4 version at one point in time.
grand ams have more room in the engine bay than our js but the engineering is very similar.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:35 PM
im thinkin ill just do the scret cams for now,would i need a tune with secret cams?could a dealership do a custom tune since its a 96 and hptuners wont work?,cause my brother-in-law works at a gm dealership and he could probably get it done for next to nothin,thanks for the replies.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:35 PM
no custom tunes at the dealership... hit me up on my AIM if ya wanna chat about the cams

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search