Saturn Vue Green Line - 2 Mode Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saturn Vue Green Line - 2 Mode Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid
Monday, January 14, 2008 11:25 AM
Saturn Vue 2 Mode Hybrid:
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/naias2008/Saturn+Vue+2+Mode+Hybrid/

Saturn Vue Plug-In Hybrid:
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/naias2008/Saturn+Vue+Plug-In+Hybrid/

2008 Saturn Vue Green Line 2 Mode Hybrid

* Production begins in late 2008
* First front-wheel-drive application of GM’s two-mode hybrid system
* Estimated 50-percent fuel economy increase over the non-hybrid V-6 Vue XR
* No compromises in performance, capability or safety
* 3,500-lb. (1,588 kg) towing capacity
* One-tank range over 500 miles
* Estimated 0-60 in 7.3 seconds
* First vehicle to offer two hybrid options
* Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (ATPZEV)
* 3.6L V-6, direct injection, two 55 kilowatt motors, nickel-metal hydride hybrid battery

Saturn Green Line Plug-in Hybrid

* World’s most fuel-efficient production vehicle (in many driving situations)
* Production may begin as soon as 2010
* Expected to be the first commercially available, OEM-produced plug-in hybrid vehicle
* Potentially a 100-percent fuel economy improvement over Vue 2 Mode while using the extra capacity of the lithium-ion battery
* Hybrid battery recharges from 110-volt household electrical outlet in four to five hours
* At least 10 miles of all-electric range at slow-to-moderate speeds
* Based on modified two-mode hybrid system with a lithium-ion battery

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Saturn Vue Green Line - 2 Mode Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:14 PM
10 miles? Buy a bicycle...

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:31 PM
OHV notec wrote:10 miles? Buy a bicycle...

But what if your commute is 20 miles? You aren't going to ride that on a bike, but with this, you effectively cut your gas consumption in half for that same commute.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:41 PM
if the battery lasted 30-50 miles , i think it would fit more people better

at 50 i could go to work and back on 1 charge

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:24 PM
what a waste to put a battery in and have it last 10 miles on slow to moderate speed
might as well just get a regular friggin hybrid, youd probably save more on gas that way, or just as much

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:02 AM
If your commute is more like 50 miles round trip and are really concerned about; being green, or saving gas, or saving money, maybe you shouldn't be driving a suv anyways...
This is the suv for people that want to pretend like they are making a huge impact... Like people that buy the tahoe 2 mode instead of a mini van or sensible wagon.

I'll be waiting for the volt It is also a little easier on the eyes.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:32 AM
its not like the vue is a real SUV

id still rather have a turbo diesel astra , but for daily i wouldnt mind a electric car , ive driven the EV1's , and you can very easily get used to the quiet , other than listening to your favorite radio station

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:52 AM
They need to make it run off baby seals.

All GM vehicles need more seal ...

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:45 AM
themarin8r wrote:what a waste to put a battery in and have it last 10 miles on slow to moderate speed
might as well just get a regular friggin hybrid, youd probably save more on gas that way, or just as much

You missed the point - it *is* a "regular friggin hybrid." It just can also go 10 miles on battery only. Once the battery is depleted, it becomes a regular hybrid, which I would assume would probably get around 30mpg - not bad for a vehicle of its size.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:50 AM
I'd buy it. 7 mile one-way commute FTW!

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:32 PM
Slap a Toyota logo on the front of it and all the haters would be praising them for their great work and gas-saving SUV.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:24 PM
Wouldn't the amount of electricity end up costing more than the fuel would anyway? And isn't there more pollution given off in making the electricity? And is it really wise to put an even bigger strain on a continent that is already quite electricity starved?
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:32 PM
you could use solar or wind as a charging medium instead of a wall outlet

we arent energy strained so to speak , its more because people are cramming themselves into smaller areas , and making 1 large area that is causing the strain

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:54 PM
If someone's commute is 10 miles or less, they aren't spending enough money on gas to worry about it anyway, no mater what they drive.

However, people like me who drive an hour one way to work would see benefit from this, basically every 4 days, I get a free day of driving. I spend $600 a month on gas now, a 20% savings would be nothing to sneeze at.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:43 AM
You guys are totally missing the huge point with this SUV.

Here's what's trying to be done by both the highly advanced academic society, car makers, electricity producers, and the government.

The future is at-night plug-in vehicles. Why?
1) Any other alternative energy (like hydrogen) needs an extensive network of distribution which would cost billions of dollars to create (think of how many gas stations we need)
2) Electricity is everywhere, but specfically, when people go to sleep at night, power consumption goes down. Power companies need to put their generators in a lower-output state, and anyone that knows anything about electricity knows that you'll get the best life out of equipment if you keep it running at a constant level, 24/7/365. So the idea is to keep these generators running at the same level all the time, its just that at night time that juice will be taken up by the cars charging at home.
3) E85 hasn't won the fight yet due to the same reason as number 1, AND, we still gotta produce the stuff. Electrical companies already have the capacity there (at night time when you sleep) and already have the network there in place (your house, the overall grid, etc). Nothing necessary to produce, and nothing necessary to build (maybe some in-home sockets if they go with a different voltage, but no major grid upgrades).
4) No matter how you cut it, electricity is cheaper than anything else. Even with the "shocking" prices some of us pay for electricity nowadays, turn that into miles per gallon, and it equates to about 1/3 the price of today's gasoline. Once we stop having to buy so much oil, there could be a turn in the markets, the economy could go up, and bla bla bla bla bla there's a potential domino effect that could be very beneficial overall.

So, this is a HUGE development in the world of cars, seeing as an auto manufacturer will now PRODUCE in mass quantity a vehicle that can do just this, what we're eventually going to move to. So yes, for now, 10 miles on a battery charge isn't much, BUT, as batteries and technologies become more advanced, this number can only grow larger and larger and larger. The point to take from this car is NOT that it only gets 10 miles, but that the future is finally here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:04 AM
tesla gets 300 from a plug in car. but their just starting out.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:23 AM
Yes, Tesla is awesome. In fact, I'm looking forward to meeting a few Tesla designers in a few months

But again, the Tesla is a niche car, from a niche company, in a niche market, for a niche customer, at a niche pricetag. It's apples and oranges, but in the same picnic basket. A combination of all these things is the future.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:57 PM
Viper98912 wrote:
3) E85 hasn't won the fight yet due to the same reason as number 1, AND, we still gotta produce the stuff.

Ethenol is winning here. It is now law that all fuel sold in this province (Manitoba) has to have min 10% ethenol. It's not E85 but, still. I personally think it is rediculous to use grain for fuel. Stupid governement....
Friday, January 18, 2008 10:09 AM
Why don't you ex[lain why using grain for fuel is rediculous?

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:07 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Why don't you ex[lain why using grain for fuel is rediculous?

Because there is only so much farmland, and grain that can be grown here. And we've pretty much reached the max. That means that grain that would have been food, or more specifically, animal feed is being used to fuel our cars and trucks. The demand increases the feed prices, which leads to higher food prices, feuling inflation. Grain farmers will benifate, livestock farmers, and everyone else for that matter, will suffer.

There's also the issue of lower energy content per unit of ethenol than per unit of gasoline. That translates to lower gas mileage, which leads to increased fuel consumption, which leads to increased demand for fuel.

Alot of cars, like mine, say to not use ethenol blended fuel right in the manual. It apparantly corrodes the fuel system or something. Although, I don't think this is really a big issue.

It's like solving a problem with another problem. There are other, better solutions. As a side note, Canada has, and produces way more oil then we use, so it's not like we should need to reduce forign oil dependancy, which I think is one of the US's reasons for ethenol use.

And this is personal opinion, but to me using food to make fuel so some woman can drive her excursion to work every morning is totally illogical, and imcomprehensively stupid. But that's my opinion, that's not necessarily why I think ethenol is a bad idea.
Friday, January 18, 2008 2:44 PM
I still think it needs more seal.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search