Lawsuit - US/CND Automobile price differences - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lawsuit - US/CND Automobile price differences
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:00 PM
http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070926.wcarsuit0926/BNStory/robNews/home

Seems some one is finally stirring the pot as to why huge price discrepancies exist between Canada and the US. Now, we all know its due to price gouging the consumer ... but it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

Re: Lawsuit - US/CND Automobile price differences
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:17 PM
It's about time.

Quote:

Watching you parade around my bedroom in a thong was a little like watching sea lions mate.

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:18 PM
We have had the wood put to us for some time. I am supprized it's taken this long for someone to take some action.

I know a fellow that just purchased a high end Porsche recently. Porsche dropped the price 40g's on delivery before this lawsuit came about. I think they knew what was coming and the customer was very happy!!!!

That being said, GM dropped their pants on the Monte SS just after I bought it. I was not impressed!!! Almost 4 years later, I'm still pissed.

This consumer is getting really tired of being scammed and rippped off. The problem is, I am runnning out of brands to avoid, cause their all F%$#king crooks anyway.

Toshiba.....never again.
Sony....Screw you. over 15years now.
Best Buy...kiss my butt forever.

That is all.

Friday, September 28, 2007 10:20 PM
well if you read the whole thing the price inflation makes a lot of sense

Quote:

For nine of the past 11 years, Canadians have enjoyed a price advantage of $5,000 to $8,000 versus Americans and a legal precedent linking prices in the two countries would mean that when the dollar falls back, consumers in this country will face higher prices

seems to me its just a way of evening things out

the lawsuit is if this quote is true..... people there are just in the same situation we were here in the states for a long time

Saturday, September 29, 2007 4:10 AM
I didn't read that particular article until now. Obiously. I can't say that I agree with the above quote. The only vehicles that I know of any Canadian making money selling to Americans, were used diesel trucks. Most of those were GM employees that purchased their trucks from the executive lot, waited six months and sold them down south. I cannot say that I have ever noticed a particular new vehicle that was cheaper in Canada other than these used trucks.

That being said, Canadian salesman get hassled by exporters trying to take trucks to the midle east.

The article mentiones advertised pricing. If there is one thing you should never do is count on that advertised price without reading the fine print very carefuly. The car business is really shady. They are the masters of deception in the retail business.

As a general rule, when the exchange was more "normal", Canadians would see a doubling in price for an automotive product by the time it made it to Canada.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 6:21 AM
It should be noted: doubling of price when exchange is applied, exchange would not have mattered due to NAFTA, as Canadian arms of auto manufacturers would use USD to simplify things.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 3:38 PM
My above comment was made as a retail sucker.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 10:50 AM
Quote:

For nine of the past 11 years, Canadians have enjoyed a price advantage of $5,000 to $8,000 versus Americans and a legal precedent linking prices in the two countries would mean that when the dollar falls back, consumers in this country will face higher prices.

Umm... If that's true, then shouldn't we be paying even less now for Cars in Canada? I mean, if all cars are underpriced here by thousands then it'd make sense that they'd follow the exchange rate right? So instead of paying 24 grand for a base Mustang we should be paying 14 grand (5 thousand less than the 19,000$ it's worth in the US) If we've been paying thousands LESS, then paying equal value would mean that the carmakers still make a profit on the cars they been selling us. Everybody wins.

Also, this doesn't make any sense since Japanese car prices are just as high. A WRX is worth 32 grand here and 25 grand in the US. A fully equiped 4x4 Toyota Tacoma SR5 is worth 20k in the US while the BASE model is worth 24k in Canada. Paying less my a**.

I think that the lawsuit should go forward. Even if the guy's right, it'll still be good because if car prices follow the exchange rate then Canadians will stop buying American cars altogether and either form their own car companies or buy Japanese. Either way, it'll force the American market to become more competitive.
Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:02 PM
The guy that said that must have been sucking on the end of a tail pipe.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 6:31 AM
CBC did some shopping in the US, nearly all retail goods are about 20% cheaper there after exchange. On autos they found that a pbuyer could save from $1000 (sub compact) to $14000 (luxury sedan) after exchange and tax and duty. So if Canadians are not p[aying enough now, then what about the US who are paying even less.

The proof is in the pudding folks, most goods are lower cost in the US because dollar adjustments have not been done on the Canadian side of the border.

If our dollar keeps rising we won't have any money to spend anyway.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, October 19, 2007 9:12 AM
I checked GMAC's latest interest rates.

GM cars are getting even more expensive in Canada when considering financing costs.

I need a new car soon and am pretty much pissed right off.

GM dramatically lowered the Monte's price just after i bought it. They have no cars of interest in my price range and the interest rates are higher than I have seen them in a long time.

I give up!!!

My friends selling GM cars are panicing/starving here in Canada. Fleet customers cannnot ignore the price differences no matter what loyalty they have to the salesman. If they cannot get a new vehicle, they are buying slightly used units in droves in the US.

I don't know what GM Canada is thinking. There are not unlimited buyers in Canada. They are running out of people to piss off/buy their cars. I for one have had enough.

GM Canada sent their undelings around to "help" the salesman overcome their customer objections over price differences. The answer is apparently to tell the customer tough luck. "You won't be allowed to buy GM product in the US dealers if you are Canadian". "Your warranty will not be honoured either".

In essence....Go F*%(* yourselves.

For the first time since '88, I will be looking at other options.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:30 AM
Quote:

You won't be allowed to buy GM product in the US dealers if you are Canadian". "Your warranty will not be honoured either

Not true, My wife bought a G6 when we moved to Florida, we are Canadian. If you have the money they will sell you the car. Financing may be a bit of a problem because GM US will not use your Canadian credit, she has had a us social for a few years and had credit so was not a problem. Audi US on the other hand was more than happy to look at my Canadian credit, so thats what I bought. My wifes car was later in an accident, so we took that insurance money to buy another Audi.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:22 AM
Mike wrote:
Quote:

You won't be allowed to buy GM product in the US dealers if you are Canadian". "Your warranty will not be honoured either

Not true, My wife bought a G6 when we moved to Florida, we are Canadian. If you have the money they will sell you the car. Financing may be a bit of a problem because GM US will not use your Canadian credit, she has had a us social for a few years and had credit so was not a problem. Audi US on the other hand was more than happy to look at my Canadian credit, so thats what I bought. My wifes car was later in an accident, so we took that insurance money to buy another Audi.

He is referring to a Canadian going stateside to buy a brand new vehicle and taking it back over the border into Canada (no US insurance, address, nada).

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:07 AM
I don't see what the problem is. If you don't like the prices, then move to the US. In the words of my fellow Americans:

"Blame Canada! They're not even a real country anyways."

So it's your own fault that the prices are high! If you guys were a real country then maybe you wouldn't have to pay so much.

I'm kidding by the way......

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:23 PM
for a new balt ss s/c its over 10,000 more than us new, a lot of people in here are buying in the states but finding out that most car companies are rejecting all warranty work. the only brand that will do warranty work on american cars is subaru.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:25 PM
edit* 10,000 more than U.S new.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:56 AM
10 g's on a cheaper car is easily enough to justify no warranty.

Friday, October 26, 2007 3:11 PM
GM Canada has spoken....Tough bananas is there response.

Porsche undestands that they can't afford to piss off their customers. I suppose GM Canada thinks that the customer has no choice. They are wrong.

Fleet buyers are buying used from the states. They are throwing the loyalty they have away becasue the price difference is far too much to ignore. I'm sure the trend will continue without any intervention.

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:29 PM
I know it's sorta silly to Americans to see Canucks all bothered by this, but new cars here are so frickin' expensive that some of us will never be able to afford one. I make 32k a year and the only car I'll ever be able to afford new is some basic model Hyundai or Honda Fit. Something so lame and cheap that you're embarrased to have purchased it.

Personally, my 2002 Sunfire is probably gonna last me another 10 years. Any new car I could afford to buy would be much lamer so it's totally worth the money to just fix it until it can't run anymore.
Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:40 AM
Alright ... Other people can.

Even buying used, it makes more sense going state side. Compare Acura RSX prices on autotrader.ca and autotrader.com ... be prepared to laugh. Or for a more real example, my Trans Am. Purchased 2 1/2 years ago when the dollar was at .086, and I still saved 12K+ after everything was all said and done and it was on the road.

And it applies to other purchases as well. Example, Hugo Boss polo shirts. Theyre $115 a pop up here ... Macy's, $50. Not to mention a much larger selection is available state side.

Summary: What us Canadians have known for a long time - we're getting hosed. Screw buying sh1t up here if you do not have to.

Monday, October 29, 2007 3:14 AM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:Alright ... Other people can.

Even buying used, it makes more sense going state side. Compare Acura RSX prices on autotrader.ca and autotrader.com ... be prepared to laugh. Or for a more real example, my Trans Am. Purchased 2 1/2 years ago when the dollar was at .086, and I still saved 12K+ after everything was all said and done and it was on the road.

And it applies to other purchases as well. Example, Hugo Boss polo shirts. Theyre $115 a pop up here ... Macy's, $50. Not to mention a much larger selection is available state side.

Summary: What us Canadians have known for a long time - we're getting hosed. Screw buying sh1t up here if you do not have to.

Amen.

What did NAFTA do anyway? I remember when they were pitching it as free trade. I call BS!

Used vehicles ar ethe way to go to get a deal. Too bad I have used cars. Most Canadian dealers are going stateside to buy at auction. They are bringing the cars back and selling at Canadian prices. They do this because they are not making money on new cars. Dealers are empty up here.

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:49 AM
GM has stated that they have responded!

"It's our time to talk!"

"We've responded"

I guess they figure they will tell me how it is now.

They boldly state. Up to 14000 in reductions. BS!!!! One car....14,0000, the rest

They have listed the cars they have placed discounts on. They have not reduced the MSRP's at all. Most of these discounts are on 07 models that would have these discounts anyway at this time of year. Most discounts seem to be a cash deal only price aswell.

All the GM dealers are empty. The only one's still making any money are the ones buying used ffom the US.

There is a huge marketing campaign here in Canada. Ever second comercial is a GM Canada one. I guess they think it's going to help. lol. Stop spending the money on the useless adds. I don't think there are enough Mclaren staff to buy all the cars needed. Sell me a car at a decent price!

Ford took 5 grand off the Fusion. Volvo dropped their pants. Nissan has reacted. Porsche, one of the first. Dodge....they generally have trouble giving cars away....so whatever. GM Canada....Still in the pull the goalie room.

So, like many customers, I'll be waiting to buy a new car as much as I hate my beater. The Monte will be gone in less than ten days.

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:29 PM
Shoot than Great Britain should sue because they pay 2x what we pay over here.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.523@111.30
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:03 PM
It's scary that England seems to be a model for our future here in NA.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:30 PM
Sappy96 wrote:Shoot than Great Britain should sue because they pay 2x what we pay over here.

Well if I could go anywhere in Canada without having to drive anywhere, I wouldn't own a car. Too bad we don't have the mass transit they do. I have to drive or I wouldn't be able to get to work. So I must own a car. Why do I have to pay more in Canada for the exact same f***ing thing they'd be selling to me in America if I go across the boarder? I'm buying my next car from U.S..

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search