Cavi to cobalt? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavi to cobalt?
Friday, July 13, 2007 10:56 PM
Hey, I was thinking about switching out my 02' cavi in for a 07' cobalt. In the end, I'll probably end up $9k short. But in your oppinion, would that be a smart choice. Ok, that last sentence just set me up for a flame fest. lol. let me rephrase all that...ehhem....Is going from a 2002 Cavalier to a 2007 Cobalt worth the money. I know it's like 300 pounds more and it does have the 2.2 ecotec tuned for an extra 8hp. But I also hear that it's got better suspension and breaks. Plus it looks more sleek. I plan on upgrading the sound/body, and also tacking on some performance parts on to it, actually, a few years after I get the car I might do a full engine rebuild. But as of now, I want something that doesn't have 2200 or ohv in the name. So it's either buy a 2007 cobalt, or a 2005 cavalier, both with Ecotec 2.2, the cobalt with 8 more hp. Or would I be better off going with a different company and a V6 car? Ok, I seem to be just brain storming here, if you guys have any comments to post on this, I'll gladly accept them. I'm just not sure what platform I want as my future project car. Thanks for listening to me as I go on and on about absolutely nothing...

Re: Cavi to cobalt?
Friday, July 13, 2007 11:07 PM
ok, don't know why I posted all that. I guess I want a new car so badly my thoughts are out of whack. I was reading up on some other posts, I could never afford the insurance on the cobalt. Plus, I think the cavi's look more arrow-like on the exterior than the cobalts do. I guess I'll look into getting a 2005 cavi manual coupe. Far from what I have now. the worst of the worst (2200 as I said, but it's 4dr, and auto) Sucks the big $#!T. Oh, and it's that tan color, known as GOLD...yea, right. I've made my decision. Now to find a dealership that has some 05's.

...LOL, my post was moved right as I was posting this comment after I noticed that there was an 'OTHER CARS forum'. Oh well I usually stick around the mod forums anyway.
Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:15 AM
get a ecotec cav, lighter, faster, easier to work on, able to be tuned with hp tuners (2.2 cobalts you cant), and its prob better on gas and i think the cav ls sports are nicer

You will also be able to find a low mileage 05 LS Sport for a fraction of what they want for a base cobalt, LS sports are great cars with tons of potential

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:36 AM
what he said.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:44 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:get a ecotec cav, lighter, faster, easier to work on, able to be tuned with hp tuners (2.2 cobalts you cant), and its prob better on gas and i think the cav ls sports are nicer

You will also be able to find a low mileage 05 LS Sport for a fraction of what they want for a base cobalt, LS sports are great cars with tons of potential

Definatly, i almost wish i woulda bought an 05 manual cav rather then my Cobalt 2.4SS, almost.

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:04 AM
Yea, I think I've decided on the platform now. I'll go with the 05 cavi manual coupe. Plus, everyone I've seen around work think the cobalt is gay, and I don't want to be seen driving a gay car, so I guess I'm working my way to the top of the cavi line.
Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:12 AM
^^That statement made me laugh. I have a '07 Cobalt coupe and my sister has an '05 Cobalt couple. She however is a lesbian and has about 4 different rainbow stickers on her car so it really is the gay car. I'm happy with my Cobalt, but I traded up from a '99 Sunfire GT 'vert with the 2.4. It feels smoother, more refined than the j-body platform and the insurance isn't too bad for full coverage (got it down to $2000 a year). Payments are $250 a month with GM finanacing at 7.49% which isn't bad for me being a first time buyer. If you just want a go-getter then get the Cobalt, if you want to tune the car get the Cavi otherwise the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty is pretty much worthless.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:24 PM
James Larsen wrote:^^That statement made me laugh. I have a '07 Cobalt coupe and my sister has an '05 Cobalt couple. She however is a lesbian and has about 4 different rainbow stickers on her car so it really is the gay car. I'm happy with my Cobalt, but I traded up from a '99 Sunfire GT 'vert with the 2.4. It feels smoother, more refined than the j-body platform and the insurance isn't too bad for full coverage (got it down to $2000 a year). Payments are $250 a month with GM finanacing at 7.49% which isn't bad for me being a first time buyer. If you just want a go-getter then get the Cobalt, if you want to tune the car get the Cavi otherwise the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty is pretty much worthless.

QFT, the Cavaliers are def more tuner friendly.

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search