Checking Out a 1992 Camaro... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Checking Out a 1992 Camaro...
Monday, July 09, 2007 10:10 AM
I'm going to a used car dealership near my house later on today to check out a 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS. The 92 has my favorite bodystyle as far as the Camaro is concerned. It is a 6 cylinder and auto...so I know it'll probably won't be too fast, and that's fine as I'm not interested in getting it for how fast it goes. In any case the dealer wants $2995 so I'm hoping to talk him down significantly (if the car is worth it). As I know there plenty of guys here who have experiences with older model Camaros (and I got no help on the Mustang forums, no surprise really) I'm just curious if someone can give me some advise on what I should look for on the car when I check it out. I'm going to go in and assume that the engine on the car has been abused and the miles on the engine is well in excess of 100,000 miles (they are unlisted in the print ad as well as their online ad). What should I look for when I'm driving and physically on the car when I'm checking it out.

Incidentally a friend of mine gave me a tip about a 1984 Camaro with 31,000 original miles that another used car dealership was selling but when I got there to check out the car on Saturday, I found they wanted $16,000 for it. Needless to say that shocked me right out of the dealership.

Re: Checking Out a 1992 Camaro...
Monday, July 09, 2007 10:47 AM
Check for rush in obvious places. Also check under the fender wells and such. Do your usual used car check. Look at the engine bay see if wires look out of places or rigged up. See how it feels when you drive it. Also look for premature tire wear to see if you've got bad ball joints, out of alignment or what not. The 6 cylinders weren't as bad but all 3rd gens had a heating issue. Take it for a GOOD drive through traffic. Let it idle a bit while talking about the car. See how hot the temperature gets. The 6 cylinders were slow yes, but pretty good engines. I miss my 91 (same as the 92) the 92 was great because it was the 25th anniversary year. I would strongly recommend running a carfax report on it. Any good dealer should do one for free for you anyways.

Re: Checking Out a 1992 Camaro...
Monday, July 09, 2007 10:54 AM
get the carfax, check for rust on the floorboards and the front shock mounts, check trans fuild make sure its not burnt, KBB the car also

-Borsty
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search