My 1995 Audi 90Q Sport - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 1995 Audi 90Q Sport
Saturday, July 07, 2007 5:05 PM
Well, I've been trying to sell this thing for a while, and just relisted it at $2000 (I paid $4000 a couple years ago). It was in beautiful condition, and I had just rebuilt the top half of the motor after a blown headgasket.

Well, I had a guy coming to take a second look at it today, so after he called saying he was on his way I went out to warm it up. Left it running and went back into the house to work some more on a amp I had fried a couple years back (the irony will be apparent in a second).

When I went back out, there was some smoke coming from under the hood near the firewall. This is somewhat odd, as normally that's where the mystery steam comes from. I go to open the door and check the engine temp, when I'm met with a big smoke cloud, yeah, $%&*. I go grab the fire extinguisher in the garage, come back, pull the pin, and...crap...I guess I should have had that recharged So I go to turn the hose on, and...crap...I parked the DSM on the end of the hose. I go to move the DSM...crap...I don't have the keys on me. I go grab the keys, push it back an inch, grab the hose and start spraying. End result = slightly melted dash, melted dash speaker (just put the stockers back in thankfully), one messed up ball of wiring goop, and a flooded car.

And after bailing water with a thirstbuster cup I had laying nearby:

And to top things off, my phone was sitting on the seat when I was spraying, so it's now as dead as the car and amp.
Needless to say, the guy no longer wants to trade for his 87 Conquest lol.

I went with my traditional method since the punching bag isn't hung right now:

OEM Cavalier muffler + sledgehammer = relaxing

So, now what do I do with the car? I don't drive it, so it's not insured (if it was I would have called the fire department and let the damn thing burn). Nobody is going to give me crap for it, that's a given. The motor hasn't been running quite right since it went back together (tough starts, and remember the mystery steam?), and I never liked that rediculous SOHC V6 anyway.

So, give me some ideas...say...$2000 budget...

LS1 swap has been noted, since I know that will be brought up a bajillion times Anyone else?

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

Re: My 1995 Audi 90Q Sport
Saturday, July 07, 2007 7:42 PM
wow that sucks ass man

think ida done the same thing smashed the hell outta stuff

Sunday, July 08, 2007 2:26 PM
I would have taken the sledgehammer to the car instead.. oh yeah, LS1 swap

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Sunday, July 08, 2007 5:21 PM
lone_wolf wrote:I would have taken the sledgehammer to the car instead.. oh yeah, LS1 swap
Trust me, I wanted to, and it took a lot of muffler beating to keep the car safe.
I measured, and an LS1 would be sticking out the front grill by a few inches lol, that's not going to work. Audi uses that unusual drivetrain setup which pushes everything very far forward. Anyone know how long a 3800 is?

Sunday, July 08, 2007 5:28 PM
that ssucks man..sorry to hear

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Sunday, July 08, 2007 9:50 PM
find some pieces at a scrap yard, or a euro nuts garage, get some new wiring in it, sell it.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Sunday, July 08, 2007 10:46 PM
Honestly. It looks like your only option is patch it up than sell it.

Most people won't buy a car they can't drive-away,
and the ones that are willing to tow it away won't give you anything for it.

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj ( o   [][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj
Monday, July 09, 2007 8:14 AM
OHV notec wrote:
lone_wolf wrote:I would have taken the sledgehammer to the car instead.. oh yeah, LS1 swap
Trust me, I wanted to, and it took a lot of muffler beating to keep the car safe.
I measured, and an LS1 would be sticking out the front grill by a few inches lol, that's not going to work. Audi uses that unusual drivetrain setup which pushes everything very far forward. Anyone know how long a 3800 is?

figure its about 4-6" shorter

Monday, July 09, 2007 11:07 AM
ah, part her out on vortex, you've got some good body panels and the unburnt interior looks ok, you can probably get close to $2k for all of that over there if there's anyone who needs it.... For the amount of work it'll be, it doesn't seem worth fixing, and you're really not gonna sell it unless someone's looking for a starting shell for a race car or something...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, July 09, 2007 8:55 PM
i just bought a 99 a4 with the 1.8t and i thought about swapping in the 2.7l twin turbo motor into that. so thats an option too. or you could swap in an audi 4.2l v8 that comes in the new s4's, my friend has a 04 audi s4 with the 4.2 and that thing is pretty darn fast. just a couple options to throw out there.

2002 cavy with 5spd ecotec(RIP)
1991 eagle talon tsi awd 5spd(sold)
1999 audi a4 1.8l turbo 5spd
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/779567
Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:37 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:ah, part her out on vortex, you've got some good body panels and the unburnt interior looks ok, you can probably get close to $2k for all of that over there if there's anyone who needs it.... For the amount of work it'll be, it doesn't seem worth fixing, and you're really not gonna sell it unless someone's looking for a starting shell for a race car or something...
If you know of anyone looking, let me know. Audiworld has quite a few guys parting these out, so there's no market over there. If I can find someone to buy the motor, drivetrain, and suspension, then I'm gutting the car and putting a real motor in it with a cage. I also have powder coating capabilities, so I'm going to see if I can sell things like rims, calipers, hubs, differential, springs, manifolds, and exhaust after powdercoating, them German car guys should jump on that I think.
fnfcavalier wrote:i just bought a 99 a4 with the 1.8t and i thought about swapping in the 2.7l twin turbo motor into that. so thats an option too. or you could swap in an audi 4.2l v8 that comes in the new s4's, my friend has a 04 audi s4 with the 4.2 and that thing is pretty darn fast. just a couple options to throw out there.
The problem is that the 2.7tt requires the 6-speed tranny, and custom mounts...together it costs too much. The only VW/Audi motor I could consider swapping in is the 1.8t, since it pretty much bolts right up, and I can control it with megasquirt easily (no need to fix most of the wiring). In general though, VW/Audi motors just cost too much to be an option (I can get an LS1 bolted to a 6-speed for much less).

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:20 PM
yea thats true i didnt think about the mounting on it. im running the 1.8t and love it, its not the fastest but its enough for now soon ill be putting on k04 turbo injectors and others parts that come in the kit and will be making roughly 225hp which is close to my coal of 300hp. but yea the motors are expensive thats why i decided not to bother with the 2.7tt swap.

2002 cavy with 5spd ecotec(RIP)
1991 eagle talon tsi awd 5spd(sold)
1999 audi a4 1.8l turbo 5spd
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/779567
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search