rust in the coolent, cant get it clean - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rust in the coolent, cant get it clean
Saturday, July 07, 2007 10:17 AM
My girls jeep's radiator rusted out on it. its a 2000 Jeep Charakee with the I6 in it. Her mom bought it in 99 and since then never, ever changed the coolent in it. So pretty much thats why the radiator rusted out on it. Doesn't even have 100k on it yet. So i replaced the radiator and the coolent in it is the color or baby sh*t. Its basicly nothing but rust and when i replaced the thermastate you can see inside the engine thats its rust spots everywhere. I've tried flushin the engine of the coolent with a garden hose but its not helpin. I've filled 2 5 gallon Buckets of this rust colored sh*t and it keeps comin out. Anyone know how i can clear out the engine of this stuff?

Re: rust in the coolent, cant get it clean
Saturday, July 07, 2007 11:09 AM
If it keeps coming out with the method you are using, keep doing it until it's all gone. That's the only way without tearing into the motor I bet.

1983 Camaro Z28
Saturday, July 07, 2007 11:19 AM
Yea unforuneatly Ling427 is right. Does it use Dexcool or some special dodge brand or Anti-Freeze? I'd imagine its Dexcool or Dodge brand stuff like Ford uses. I've never liked either of those at all. I've always flushed my systems and used Anti-Freeze. Manufacturers say you're not suppose to but we do it ALL the time at work. Specially with Dex-Cool. It rusts your engine out so bad its not even funny. I hate that stuff.

Saturday, July 07, 2007 7:58 PM
actually an 00 model should take just plain-jane green antifreeze. i actually have a flush kit i could send ur way, if u want to PM me, or email me at gmczq8@gmail.com

For Sale: 1st Gen Sideskirts CHECK IT!
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/45903/
Saturday, July 07, 2007 8:38 PM
It Burns When I Pee Pee wrote:actually an 00 model should take just plain-jane green antifreeze. i actually have a flush kit i could send ur way, if u want to PM me, or email me at gmczq8@gmail.com

An 00 can go 50/50 either way really. I know we have a lot of 00's in our fleet (AF mechanic) and i'd say 90% of them are dexcool.

Saturday, July 07, 2007 8:41 PM
well it was Green at one time. there was a greenish hazy to some of it. I think ill just put the hose in a let it run for awhile. freakin water bills gonna be high this month
Saturday, July 07, 2007 8:59 PM
Did I miss something?? When did Jeep (DODGE) start using DEX-COOL (GM)??? Mopar has their own coolant, and its orange like Dex-cool, but its not.

As an alternative to just sticking a hose in the engine and letting it run till the water is clear, pick up a flush kit at your parts store of choice. And while your there, look and see if they have some type of cooling system cleaner. We use one at work that has citric acid in it, and it breaks up a lot of the gunk in there.

Lifes too short to drink cheap beer.
Sunday, July 08, 2007 11:38 AM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:
It Burns When I Pee Pee wrote:actually an 00 model should take just plain-jane green antifreeze. i actually have a flush kit i could send ur way, if u want to PM me, or email me at gmczq8@gmail.com

An 00 can go 50/50 either way really. I know we have a lot of 00's in our fleet (AF mechanic) and i'd say 90% of them are dexcool.

every 00 model jeep that comes through our shop gets green lol

For Sale: 1st Gen Sideskirts CHECK IT!
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/45903/
Sunday, July 08, 2007 1:22 PM
green98cavy wrote:Did I miss something?? When did Jeep (DODGE) start using DEX-COOL (GM)??? Mopar has their own coolant, and its orange like Dex-cool, but its not.

Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:Yea unforuneatly Ling427 is right. Does it use Dexcool or some special dodge brand or Anti-Freeze? I'd imagine its Dexcool or Dodge brand stuff like Ford uses.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search