99 Camaro Issues - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 Camaro Issues
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm back in Nevada for a while visiting the folks and just got this dumped on my lap.

My sister's 1999 V6 Camaro Automatic Transmission, is having some issues lately, and I'd like some take on what it might be. She was driving home from Reno Nevada a couple of weeks ago. Driving at the speed limit the car was cruising along until suddenly, complete failure. The car just shut off on the freeway.

My sister guided the car to the side of the road as any competent person would do, shifted it into park and proceeded to start it up. It starts up just fine. she put it in drive, and it doesn't go into drive. It won't go into first or second, it won't go into any gear. Not even reverse. I just took a look at it and the engine checks out, it starts up just fine, it revs just fine, but the problem Persists. I tried to get the car to budge in any gear. And it just won't. It doesn't even do that little "jump" Typical of automatic cars when they go into gear. Torque converter issue maybe? Perhaps something bigger?

I'd like some help narrowing down this problem guys. I appreciate it.

Re: 99 Camaro Issues
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:27 PM
The car starts and runs, but when the car goes into gear it dies?

Same thing my Cavalier did, torque converter lock-up solenoid. For the time being, you can un-plug the solenoid until you can afford to get it fixed.. unless you want to take on a bog job and do it yourself.

1983 Camaro Z28
Re: 99 Camaro Issues
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:55 PM
trans is a goner

pull the dip stick out and smell it , and look at the color of the fluid , im guessing its pretty burnt and very dark , when it should be a pink/red color

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search