Need Mustang Shelby GT Hertz information/help - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Mustang Shelby GT Hertz information/help
Friday, June 22, 2007 6:21 PM
On my "things to do" list for this summer is test drive a Shelby GT-500 Mustang. Since they're sort of hard to come by and it will require some fiendish plan in order for me to get to drive it without an annoying salesman tagging along.

Anyway, Hertz rents the things for about 100$ a day. So I figured I'd try that route first. Anyone know where they're rented?

Re: Need Mustang Shelby GT Hertz information/help
Friday, June 22, 2007 7:00 PM
umm.. Hertz?

Friday, June 22, 2007 7:37 PM
Just to let you know, there is no shelby gt500 hertz model...its just a gt with a few small mods that make 325hp. Your best bet is to go to hertz website and check for a few in your area and then make some phone calls to see if there is one there or could possibly get one there at some point. if your in/near any major city i'm sure there shouldn't be a problem with getting one.
Friday, June 22, 2007 9:33 PM
i saw one in front of me today on the highway

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, June 23, 2007 8:18 AM
Ugh, I didn't know that the Shelby Hertz was so low powered. It's off my list then. I was asking because these cars aren't available everywhere and Hertz has a hard to navigate site that never really tells you where each car is available. You type in the city and it tells you what you can get, so that requires trying city after city after city in order to find anything. I figured I'd save time and ask anyone here if they had seen any in their town so I at least could narrow down the search. But 325hp? I don't think I'll bother really.

I guess all that I have for options now is to get dressed in a nice suit and pretend I'm a stockbroker, then go visit a car dealership and take one for a test drive SANS the little nanny salesman tagging along.

I'll keep y'all updated on my dream.

If I do this, I'm trying for a Ferrari next. I love a challenge.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 8:57 AM
This is why I love having buddies who work at dealerships...throw me the keys and say have fun while they worry about nagging some other person...

You could try renting from an exotic car rental place...ours has everything from mustangs to 300k dollar Labos and 360's

Saturday, June 23, 2007 3:06 PM
The Hertz Shelby GT only produces 319 horsepower and that's with the use of the CAI from Ford racing. Other than having the Ford Racing handling (not Shelby suspension set-up) pack, it's really unspectacular in my opinion. I wouldn't waste your time or money trying to rent a Shelby GT from Hertz. I would just go down to your local Ford dealership and ask to test drive a Shelby GT as long as they aren't treating it like a $300,000 exotic.

As far as test drivng the Shelby GT500, well good luck with that. I don't think most are going to let you test drive it without believing that you are a serious buyer for it. At least that's my belief and experience. I've been by 3 different Ford dealerships that all have GT500s in stock (one of the dealerships had 3 - 2 coupes and 1 vert) and none of them would let me test drive it. The closest I got was with one dealership telling me they'll let me test drive it but I would have to put down a $1,000 security deposit (never explained if I would get it back) along with them wanting to run my credit history, get a copy of my driver's license and all that other stuff. Naturally, I passed. I would say if you really want to drive something that high performance...go to the Ford dealers that have either the Saleen or Roush Mustangs in stock. Should be easier to test drive those (since most dealers are still clammering over the GT500) and I think they are overall better than the GT500...just my opinion.
Saturday, June 23, 2007 3:13 PM
Darn, no edit button:

What I meant to type is that if you want to drive a Mustang that "high performance" in the area of the GT500...go to the Ford dealers that have the Roush and Saleen Mustangs in stock.
Saturday, June 23, 2007 3:22 PM
good luck test driving a GT500 theres prob a hefty deposit required to do that

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:17 AM
here ya go

"https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/index.jsp?targetPage=USshelbygth.jsp&leftNavUserSelection=globNav_3_5_1®ion=United%20States"

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:00 AM
I see that my dream is shared by many the car may change but the dream stays the same.

I say we all try it. If we succeed take pics/video and post it here. hehehe.

I did find a place that rents exotics but it's 350$ a day to rent a car and you have to rent them for 7 days minimum.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:31 AM
http://www.shelbyautos.com/gt-h.asp

The 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H Mustang will be available at select airport locations that feature the Hertz Fun Collection including Phoenix, Arizona; Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego and San Francisco, California; Denver, Colorado; Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Tampa and West Palm Beach, Florida; Maui and Honolulu, Hawaii, and Las Vegas, Nevada. In addition, the car will be available in Boston, Massachusetts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search