Turbo pulling too much oil from pan - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo pulling too much oil from pan
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:41 PM
i have a 1998 Mits Eclipse GST with a Garrett GT28 turbo and I have recently been having a problem when it sees boost. any time it sees boost it sucks too much oil from the pan and puts some of it in the intake track. it has a little white smoke when in boost of course from the oil but what I need to know is would this totally be a seal blown or could it also have something to do with the crackcase ventilation??? pleas help

Any help is greatly appreciated

I know its not a J but I drive a 1997 sunfire convert daily. You guys are very knowledgeable so this is where I always come for help??

Tom

Re: Turbo pulling too much oil from pan
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:53 PM
sounds like possibly your turbo is asploded its seals and is leaking into your charge piping.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:46 PM
how much oil are we talking in the intake track, because if it minimal then an oil catch can may remedy the problem.

It beats a Honda!
Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:56 AM
Seals are gone, thrust bearring is likely gone too. Time for a rebuid. If it is small an oil catch may help but that is a band aide as the seals are still cooked and will only get worse. Pull you intake plumbing off and check the shaft (easy on the cold side) if you can feel it move in any direction perpendicular to the shaft then your bearrings are gone too, if it has play parrallel to the shaft the thrust bearring is also gone. Generally bearrings go before seals so I bet a total rebuild is in order. On top of that the impeller has likely made contact with the housing, look for small wearmarks around the edge of the impeller on the housing itself. Little pieces of metal are likely already in your engine from that and you should do a flush and fill as well.

good luck.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search