Thinking outloud, cars? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking outloud, cars?
Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:48 PM
I can't make up my damn mind so I'm brain storming. Long story short, I will have about 5K to spend on a new car. I'm looking at something in the early-mid 90's

Things I have to have:
Backseat.
Aftermarket support.
Creature comforts.

I have two directions for my thinking. Go V8, so I can get the power I want for less money/time. 2nd way is go for an old school honda and go the long way for hp...More work would be fun because I have friends that want to get their hands dirty and I like cut/bleeding nuckles. My only problem is more work+money for results that could be seen on a V8 with less of both.

My only worry about going V8 is that my insurance would be higher : / Still 2 years from the magic 25.

I like the Early 90's Mustangs, if I went Honda I think I'd do an Accord with an H22 swap..or something very similar. There are of course other options.

What do you think? I don't want to go all out..just have a car that's fun to drive and will get me from A to B, Mon-Fri, and give me another hobby.

Will race for food

..check out my miscellanous mods

Re: Thinking outloud, cars?
Friday, June 15, 2007 2:06 AM
Yaris.

Friday, June 15, 2007 2:33 AM
Keep the money. Buy a good car when you can afford to juice it up the way you want without having to scrape together cash.

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:47 PM
fcuk a Yaris. what's wrong with the 'Fire?
Monday, June 18, 2007 11:59 PM
the 5.0's are definetly one of the best bang for the buck performance cars out there... Tons of aftermarket support, parts are cheap, you can pick up used parts cheap as well. I've seen many nice fox bodies for around 3k. LT1 F bodies are good bang for the buck as well, but as a owner of one idk if I'd recommend one for daily driving, because it seems like I work on it more then I get to drive it anymore.

I would just get liability insurance on an older car. It will be cheaper and insurance wouldn't give you much anyway if you totalled it.

You could always save more and get exactly what you want as well.... wish I would have saved more and got an ls1 instead of an lt1
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:15 AM
GAM and Robtco thank you for the advice. I think a 5.0 would be for me. I've been driving a convertible for the past couple weeks and am really enjoying it, how are the ragtops on the Stangs? I was looking and about two blocks away there are a couple 5.0's for sale in a car lot, 2.5K and 2.8K, both look great.

I should be looking for around 87-93' right? What models should I be looking for: LX or GT? I picked up a 5.0 magazine last night and was amazed at all the stuff they sell for these cars..looks like you could have a chassis and build car from the ground up with stuff from ads.

Will race for food

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:50 AM
I looked around for a decent 5.0 5 spd lx conv for months and all I could find around 5 grand were rust buckets, or they needed tops and were straight beat. That was a couple years ago though.. I prefer the looks of the lx plus it's lighter without the gt gfx. Stay away from the auto's the AOD's are junk. Look for cracks in the rear floorpan and rust in the trunk, floors, and door area. Most people told me to look for an 89+ because it wasn't speed density and it's easier to mod. I'd do some good research on some stang boards before buying anything...
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:00 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll start doing some research and keep my eyes open for a car. Any suggestions on active mustang forums?

Will race for food

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:01 AM
Best bangs for bucks?

1986-93 Ford Mustang 5.0
1993-95 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1993-95 Pontiac Firebird Formula

These aren't as fast, but they are cool as hell...

1984-88 Chevrolet Monte-Carlo SS
1990 Chevrolet 454SS
1989 Dodge Dakota Shelby
1983-84 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds
1985-88 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1993-95 Ford Lightning

The trick is to always buy a car with some sort of pedigree. Never buy a clone or "recreation" because down the line it'll be worthless unless you wait 40 years to sell it.

Mustang convertibles aren't too expensive. I've seen quite a few for sale under 5,000$. Then again I'm sort of lucky. I live in Quebec, which has no inspections or air pollution checkups, while my next door Ontario does. So a lot of cars that can't pass inspection there will do so here and are sold at quite a low price by desperate Ontarians.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:18 PM
Psssh find a old jeep wrangler and be happy.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:54 PM
I would have to agree with the 5.0L mustangs. You cant beat the sound of a V8. Dont buy the first thing you see. Trust me the right car is out their for you. It took me 6 months to find my Dads 5.0L and another 7 months to find my 03 cobra.

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:08 AM
save the money and buy a smart car

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search