Good daily driver/weekend warrior? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Good daily driver/weekend warrior?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 3:16 PM
I've decided to sell my bike, sell my Supra, and buy a newer car that I can start over with. Should have at least 7-8K to spend on the car. My dad has a Miata I'm trying desperately to trade for the Supra, really like that car but would like a backseat.

I don't plan on going all out. Just something fun to tinker with and spend more time driving than working on. Like to do simple stuff like headers, exhaust, possibly cams and an air intake to start with.

What would you suggest? I'd like something newer than 1995, not out of my price range, and something they make TONS of parts for. Hate having a car that is not supported by the aftermarket community.

Will race for food

..check out my miscellanous mods

Re: Good daily driver/weekend warrior?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:32 PM
when you say "weekend warrior" what do you mean? Just a nice car to cruise around in? drag racing? Auto Cross?

If you plan on doing auto X and daily driving (winter included) I'd say go with a 89-91 civic hatch

Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:21 PM
I think my old turboed 1993 Sentra SE-R would have fit the ticket!! Nice SR20 swap, GT28 BB turbo. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear would smoke the tires by just mashing the throttle!! And i had some meaty ass tires on it. I still regret selling it....especially now that my buddy who bought has run much better quarter miles times than my goat lol. The car was a friggin blast though.

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:22 PM
f-body or mustang.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:02 PM
Sorry, weekend warrior would be drag racing very occassionally. I don't speed at all, but I like to accelerate and I drive the cars that I've had pretty hard..Supra excluded.....barely put 500 miles on that in the past 6 months..just cruising.

I put less than 6K miles a year on my primary vehicle so something that burns gas isn't that far out of the question. I was thinking a Mustang too, but I'm more of the 4 cylinder type...I know I'd have more fun for less money in something with 8 cylinders, so I might do that.

<3 Sentra's. I like the old school Honda's, but I want something newer..Autocross isn't something I'd ever do, like to get into it, but I just don't see it happening.

Long term goal would be forced induction, more than likely supercharger to boost all the stuff I've gained from the NA mods.

Will race for food

Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:21 PM
a used Honda civic. they make tons of parts that are cheap. its a 4 cyl and you can get a nice used one for less then $8K

my personal choice would be a V6 Grand Am GT. nice ride and a 2002 is only like $8K or you could go for the 4 cyl Ecotec Grand Am if you really want a 4 cyl. but I'd think there pretty hard on gas, thats a pretty heavy car to be pulling with a 4 banger.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:30 PM
I'd say Civic also, maybe even a 97-99 DOHC Neon.

Lifes too short to drink cheap beer.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 8:48 PM
Well, I might be able to get a pretty good deal. My dad hates the fact that I have a bike, so he said.."If you can sell your bike for 2.5K, I'll sell you my Miata for the same price." The Miata is a 96' and has 150K miles on it..but they were all towed miles, car is in excellent shape.

He really doesn't want me to sell the Supra, as he thinks of it as somewhat of a classic car, and it's really modded. He doesn't drive the Miata at all.

I was looking and JR has a Supercharger kit with a m45 blower, Ross offers an M62, both come with predone tuning which is a huge plus. Get a nice header, exhaust, and that supercharger I'd probably be up around 180-190 hp, which is a little car like a Miata is crazy. Hope this works out, in the event it doesn't I'm going to keep my eyes out at local dealers.

Since my mind is on it, what do you guys suggest for the Miata?

Will race for food

Saturday, June 02, 2007 8:52 PM
I really really dont like miatas, but they are a total blast to drive...and with any type of FI, they scream.

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Saturday, June 02, 2007 8:56 PM
Hellion179 wrote:Well, I might be able to get a pretty good deal. My dad hates the fact that I have a bike, so he said.."If you can sell your bike for 2.5K, I'll sell you my Miata for the same price." The Miata is a 96' and has 150K miles on it..but they were all towed miles, car is in excellent shape.

He really doesn't want me to sell the Supra, as he thinks of it as somewhat of a classic car, and it's really modded. He doesn't drive the Miata at all.

I was looking and JR has a Supercharger kit with a m45 blower, Ross offers an M62, both come with predone tuning which is a huge plus. Get a nice header, exhaust, and that supercharger I'd probably be up around 180-190 hp, which is a little car like a Miata is crazy. Hope this works out, in the event it doesn't I'm going to keep my eyes out at local dealers.

Since my mind is on it, what do you guys suggest for the Miata?

Do this
Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:42 PM
Lol, sick. And I'm with you Drew...I don't care for Miata's..but after driving it I like it..feels like a Go Kart except it's street legal

Totally stock I like it way better than most of the cars I've driven. Can't imagine what it'd be like with a blower.

Will race for food

Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:49 PM
miata... all the way...

Sunday, June 03, 2007 12:40 AM
check this site out too
v8miata.com
Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:19 AM
sunfire lol
Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:42 PM
GTP?

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Sunday, June 03, 2007 6:20 PM
Well, I talked to a few friends and they're strongly encouraging me to go V8,,,My only bit of grief is the worry that insurance would be high...The threat of poor gas mileage isn't an issue with the low mileage I put on my vehicles.

The biggest thing is that the Miata would basically be free as selling my bike wouldn't be that much of a loss and I know I could get more than 2.5K for it, any extra could go to the car. And on top of that I could still keep the Supra.

It's a hard choice as I like the way the Miata drives, but I could see myself getting tired of it unless I got some power added to it...and I know I could get more HP for less money with an 8 cylinder..And let's face it...HP=Fun.

An engine swap isn't something I want to tackle anytime soon as I've already said : (

Will race for food

Sunday, June 03, 2007 6:22 PM
old mustang

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Monday, June 04, 2007 7:17 PM
Say I went with Mustang, what year should I look for or possibly avoid?

What about for a Tranz Am?

Still having fun driving the Miata for now V8 conversion looks so freaking sexy but I think it's too much work for me right now.

Will race for food

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:05 PM
forget about mustangs there relatively slow. go for a nice 98+ f-body, trans am preferably im sure you could find a very nice one for under or around 8k

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 9:58 AM
get an 00 audi s4 b5, i have a 99 audi a4 b5 and i love that car and the s4 is not only quick but a fun car to drive around in as well. not to mention it has a 2.7 twin turbo motor thats capable of 600+hp. thats my next car unlesss i save up and get a nwer one or even a rs4.

2002 cavy with 5spd ecotec(RIP)
1991 eagle talon tsi awd 5spd(sold)
1999 audi a4 1.8l turbo 5spd
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/779567
Thursday, June 07, 2007 11:23 AM
Yaris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search