99 chev sub starts,but then instantly dies - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 chev sub starts,but then instantly dies
Monday, May 07, 2007 4:49 AM
I have been stumped, I have a 99 chev subrn. and it was stolen. when i got it back the colum needed to be replaced and upon starting, it fires then dies. I ran codes and came up with tps then mas. so i replaced them both and put a new battery in . now no codes come up but not all sections completed reading. I then changed the fuel filter and it was bad. still fires but dies instantly. I have checked for vacume leaks and loose wiring and all is good. Any one please give me some advise !!!!!!!! thanks steve

Re: 99 chev sub starts,but then instantly dies
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 6:34 PM
the theft lights not on is it? Most of those trucks had some sort kill ignition function in the ignition cylinder.If that was messed up it may be the cause.

I ain't callin u a gold digga,but you ain't messin wit a broke cracka
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:28 PM
kinda sounds like a fuel pump

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:51 PM
eCOfIRE.cOm (The Amish One) wrote:the theft lights not on is it? Most of those trucks had some sort kill ignition function in the ignition cylinder.If that was messed up it may be the cause.

If it was a kill switch it wouldnt even fire. I am with streetfire, sounds like the fuel pump is out. Get a pressure gauge and hook it up to the valve on the fuel rail and see how much fuel pressure you have.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 2:23 PM
Did you check your air filter?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Wednesday, May 09, 2007 6:22 PM
Definitely sounds like the theft system is acting up.. Exact same thing was happening on my gf's cavalier.. Found the after market remote started was messing with the stock theft system.. 2 years after it was installed.. lol

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:23 AM
with the theft system on GM cars alot of times it will fire and run 1-3 seconds before just shutting off.It's not a fuel kill switch it's usually a ignition kill.Some cars also have a starter kill.You can turn the key and the radio will come on but the engine won't crank.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:24 AM
Sappy96 wrote:Did you check your air filter?

I have seen this also

Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:05 PM
I vote fuel pump, fuse, or relay... 99's didn't have any VATS key or anything special in them.

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:52 AM
On a 99 suburban, if the PASSLOCK 2 system is malfunctioning, the vehicle will start, and then die immediately...

I can almost guarantee this is your problem, especially if the vehicle was stolen before...

Friday, May 11, 2007 10:56 AM
RedDevil wrote:On a 99 suburban, if the PASSLOCK 2 system is malfunctioning, the vehicle will start, and then die immediately...

I can almost guarantee this is your problem, especially if the vehicle was stolen before...

has nothing to do with VATS....ALSO...every GM vehicle 97+, and most 95's and 96's maybe alll 96's have passlock 2. Start it, it'll fire and die. At which point your theft light should be flashing...leave the ignition on (don't turn it off after starting the vehicle) ....leave it on 10 minutes...new code should be learned

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search