DRL's on 01 Grand Am - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DRL's on 01 Grand Am
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:17 AM
I was wondering if it's possible to disable the DRL's on my 01 grand am. I'm putting in an HID kit and If I'm not mistaken, it would be a good idea to disable them.

any help would be great. Pictures would help as well.

Re: DRL's on 01 Grand Am
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:55 PM
Try to pull the relay or fuse for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:58 PM

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:57 PM
pull the E-brake up one notch, worked for my Z24.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:31 PM
Look on Grandamgt.com, but I'd leave them on anyhow.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:37 PM
^^ But wouldn't leaving them on affect the HID bulbs? I thought having DRL while running HID's was a bad thing...
BTW, I'm getting a bi-xenon kit.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:01 PM
Not that I know of. My mom's BMW had HID's that went on every time it was started, so I don't think that'll have an effect as long as the bulbs get up to operating temp.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:44 AM
drls are not good to have with hid's they run at a lower wattage and will be harmfull to the hid bulbs....BMW's are a little different in that they were designed to have HID's....so they dont run on less power then normal....you need to disable the drls

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:13 AM
That's what I thought.
Thanks.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:22 AM
Chris DeNisco wrote:drls are not good to have with hid's they run at a lower wattage and will be harmfull to the hid bulbs....BMW's are a little different in that they were designed to have HID's....so they dont run on less power then normal....you need to disable the drls

Didn't realise this, but, if they're supposed to hook up to the sockets... wouldn't they already be using the lower voltage? I'm assuming that we're talking about a conversion kit, not one that is a retrofit.

I know that there are a couple people that have done it to GA's and Alero's, but I don't recall anyone saying anything about disabling the DRLs. If worse comes to worst: whip out a voltmeter and test the line levels and match that up against the kit's requirements.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:46 PM
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:18 PM
If you get HID's it supposed to disable them automatically. It's the way it's wired.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search