Should I call VW Corporate? FIREEEE! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Should I call VW Corporate? FIREEEE!
Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:00 PM
Hey everyone,

Well, I'm driving my 2003 Passat yesterday. Got the seat heater on power 1 (out of 5). All of a sudden, it feels like my ass is on fire. I look down and there's smoke coming from the seat... I immediately pull over and shut the car off... I look at my pants and there's a small hole in the back, as well as in the seat. The hole looks as big as a cigarette burned it in... I'm 100% certain that the car would have burned to the ground had I not pulled over and shut the ignition off.

Now, I go online, and find out that there's a recall on the heaters in the seats. However, I have been for to the dealership dozens of times in the past two years (oil changes, etc) and they have never mentioned this recall to me... I never got a notice in the mail or anything like that either.

So, my question is: Should I call VW corporate to complain about this? Maybe ask for a new pair of pants and a new seat?

Darkstars?

P.S.: My car's warranty ran out two months ago...

Re: Should I call VW Corporate? FIREEEE!
Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:10 PM
Recalls get done even outside warranty.

I'd probably check to see if your car is elig for the recall first.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:41 PM
happens with audi's too, the wire that connect to the seat heater are really thin and if you put too much pressure on it, it will short and start fire to your seat.
they'll probably replace your seat if you call corporate, its worth a shot

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:37 AM
I told you 2 monthes ago you had the recall and it was gonna happen. When you said the dealer had never told you about the recall I told you to find a new dealership and you said " I won't hold this against them since it's a pretty petty recall."

You can't say you weren't warned.

As for the seat its very common for them to burn holes, the car would not have caught fire, none have becasue of this problem so far. But with the recall open they will replace the drivers side seat bottom cover, heater, and seat cusion for free. I don't think calling corperate is going to acomplish anything, they know its a problem thats why its a recall. If anything you may want to call corperate and bitch that its had the open recall and the dealer never bothered to do anything about it cause liek I said originally, every single VW that comes through the door gets ran for recalls.

Edit - every VW thats comes through OUR door gets ran for recalls

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, March 12, 2007 4:54 AM

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:20 AM
I remember that DS...

I'd get the Recall campaign number and bring it into the dealership... Wouldn't hurt to ask them for a replacement seat cover as well.

Monday, March 12, 2007 5:09 AM
Quote:

If anything you may want to call corporate and bitch that its had the open recall and the dealer never bothered to do anything about it

Darkstars: That's my main point. My dealer never told me about it.

Also, there are no other VW dealerships in the area that I know of.

I will give corporate a call today and give them a piece of my mind.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search