tough decision - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tough decision
Friday, October 20, 2006 1:29 PM
well, due to a recent career change, i have over doubled my yearly salary . and with the GTP $500 from being payed off, it's time to look around at what else is out there (no, im not selling the grand prix, but it's future does depend upon this decision) im not content with one automobile, never have been. therefore, i am looking for a new vehicle. my four choices are (in no particular order)
1) bike - some type of motorcycle. two of my roomies have one, the other wants to get one, it'd be fun to ride with em, and besides, they're just fun
2) ZR2 S10 or blazer - i want an offroad worthy (not trails, but some light mudding and such) daily driver that's small enough to get in and able to get around in winter.
3) larger truck. havent narrowed it down much yet, but i would like 4x4, and something big enough to tow a (my) car with.
now, with these last three choices, the GTP would still be the car. with the trucks, it would turn into more of a project car no longer needing to be an acceptable daily (except with the bike). i could work on it myself and have it down for days on end rather than paying others to do it in a certain ammount of time, ect.
finally
4) LS1 T/A - black, ram air, WS6. i've always wanted one of these cars. i feel an empty spot in my heart that only a RWD V8 could fill. but, if i got this car, it would then turn into the project car and the GTP would remain a humble daily. (though then i could say "you beat my daily, THEN i'll get the toy out"). it's always been nice to be a GTP guy. no one expects it. it's something different. and it's quick. and it's cool in its own way... but it's not a T/A no matter how much it wants to be.

so, oppinions? advice? anything? i really dont know which way i want to go.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E

Re: tough decision
Friday, October 20, 2006 1:31 PM
LS1 T/A

Friday, October 20, 2006 1:34 PM
if you want a bike, wait till spring.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

you know, i love when people like to criticize others about their behavior,
but turn around and do the same freaking thing months later...
Friday, October 20, 2006 1:35 PM
LS1 T/A or the S10 blazer
Friday, October 20, 2006 1:41 PM
lilbit01 wrote:if you want a bike, wait till spring.

if i decided on a bike, i look for one now (to see if anyone's got a good price because they cant/wont keep it over winter) if i cant get one for a steal, i'll wait until spring.
i think the bike's losing in my mind, though. but that thought will only last as long as i dont see one of my roomies havin a good time on his

Andy

ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
Friday, October 20, 2006 6:57 PM

Why?
Absolute worst time of the year to buy....

Friday, October 20, 2006 10:00 PM
Rosario wrote:

Why?

was prolly thinkin of when he can accually use it,not price

Saturday, October 21, 2006 12:01 AM
ls1 ta

join the club!

Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:43 PM
STi

make the right choice
Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:57 PM
Crazy Dude wrote:STi

make the right choice

no
no
and no

not RWD, not V8, not what i want. dont lik the way they look, dont like the way they sound, dont want one. if i wanted something that drove with all four tires, i'd by a 4x4 truck. if i get a car, it'll be a RWD V8. that's why those were my choices.

Andy

Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:54 PM
dude if you doubled your salary, stop messing with the 20k cars and go for something that has some class. Go for a vette at least. Otherwise, get the bike and a ls1 t/a. Unless you've doubled your salary from 20k or something. Go big or go home.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:00 PM
get a grand national, monte carlo ss, or some other late 70's V8 RWD...

new cars are nice because of the convenience but if you have the money lying around, you can really do something with an antique/classic

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:18 PM
Elias A wrote:get a grand national, monte carlo ss, or some other late 70's V8 RWD...

new cars are nice because of the convenience but if you have the money lying around, you can really do something with an antique/classic

X2

You'll have a hell of a lot of fun in a classic, even if it's running like @!#$, trust me. No one says you can't go out and get yourself like a 72 Firebird. So not only would you be an F-body member, but you'll also be in the classic car group. If you want to get talked to at the gas station, pick up a classic.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:20 PM
Save your money for a while and get something worthwhile...like a vette...a 09 Camaro...

Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:31 PM
i dont want a vette. i love LS1 T/A's. very few people in town have mean ones. and i personally like the way they look better than vette's previous to the C6.

as for old school RWD, it's tempting. the price is good, but i really want a T/A. and i dont like the 2nd or 3rd gen f-bodies much. 1st or 4th is where it's at, and 1st are twice as much as 4's.

i dont have the money "lying around" i'll be making paymetns on the car i get. and just to let you know, i did double my sallary, but i was making close to @!#$ before. i could afford a $20K car, im not goin for a $40K+ car.

i think i've decided on a T/A if i can find one in my price range. probably lookin at 2 or so months before the actual purchase. wanna get the GTP payed all the way off (should only take me a month, but im slow). we'll see, i guess. keep the opinions comin

Andy

Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:35 PM
"i dont have the money "lying around" i'll be making paymetns on the car i get. and just to let you know, i did double my sallary, but i was making close to @!#$ before. i could afford a $20K car, im not goin for a $40K+ car. "

so save some money and buy it at once, don't make more payments

Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:04 PM
halfJ99 wrote:
Rosario wrote:

Why?

was prolly thinkin of when he can accually use it,not price

best time to buy a bike is now

Two wrongs don't make a right. Unless you're Chuck Norris.
Then two wrongs make a roundhouse kick to the face.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:11 PM
T/A all the way! ...wait wait noooo noooo i didnt just say that i ment get a bmw M3

Saturday, October 21, 2006 11:29 PM
trans am or classic!

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Sunday, October 22, 2006 5:20 PM
'04 GTO for under $20k or '05 for around $20k.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:32 PM
What is your living situation? If you're not a homeowner buy a house then the T/A. I did it the opposite way and regret it. Save your money all winter and then buy the T/A because you can't really drive it in the winter anyway. It gives you extra time to decide what you really want as well...

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:41 PM
fix up an old school truck
thats what i would do
but thats me

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:43 PM
id get a 78-81 G-body

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:46 PM
If you want a T/A ... buy a T/A.

If you want a Bike ... buy a Bike.

I'd but both.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 9:40 PM
redgote, dont really want a goat. it's not that i dont like em, i just love T/A's.

robtco99, i currently live with room mates and rent. however, im 21 years old, and dont see myself settling down and buying a house for another 3-4 years. it'll take me at least that long to get myself exactly where i want myself (future business, im not gonna work in a factory my whole life), and i wont buy a house until that's moving where i want it.

marin8er, you're just weird

halfJ99, dont want a G-body.

jinxed, i like the way you think... and wish i had that much money

99% sure it's gonna be a T/A. now the search goes on... im too damn picky

Andy

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search