GM 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:19 AM
c'mon mr. goodwrench, is what i'm told by my buddy the truth?
all 2007 models will have a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty

*now i will search...
*edit*
oooh, looks to be the truth
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14697057/

yaay, now just getting the dealer to actually fix a warranty problem will be the next big pain in the arse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:21 AM

Two wrongs don't make a right. Unless you're Chuck Norris.
Then two wrongs make a roundhouse kick to the face.

Re: GM 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:25 AM
You sir are correct.

GM's press release...

GM Announces Best Warranty of Any Full-Line Automaker
GM to Provide 100,000-Mile/Five-Year Powertrain Warranty, Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation on 2007 Cars and Trucks
Comprehensive Coverage Validates Dramatic Improvements in GM Quality, Durability

DETROIT – General Motors today announced the best warranty of any full-line automaker, with coverage up to 100,000 miles or five years across its entire 2007 car and light-duty truck lineup in the United States and Canada, reflecting its success in dramatically improving the quality and durability of its vehicles.

GM’s new 100,000 Mile Warranty coverage is a fully transferable five-year, 100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty with no deductible. GM also has decided to expand its roadside assistance and courtesy transportation programs to match the powertrain warranty term. Altogether, it’s the best coverage in the auto industry.

“We’ve been telling everyone how strong GM’s cars and trucks are in terms of value, design, quality and durability. Now we’re going to back it up,” Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner said. “This new warranty, combined with GM’s outstanding quality, competitive pricing, relevant technologies and a strong new lineup of cars and trucks, provides motorists with an unprecedented level of value and peace of mind.

“This latest step in our North America turnaround plan reflects the confidence we have in the quality of our cars and trucks. It’s the result of years of hard work by our employees, suppliers and dealers. It’s something that motorists want and deserve. For those who haven’t driven a GM car or truck in a while, this is our way of saying, ‘Come on back and see what we’ve done.’

“The bottom line is GM now has the best coverage in the industry,” Wagoner said. “It includes the best warranty of any full-line automaker, equally compelling roadside assistance and courtesy transportation programs, unique safety and security technologies like OnStar and StabiliTrak, and the nation’s largest network of outstanding dealers, with well-trained GM Goodwrench technicians who service GM cars and trucks better than anybody else.”

The no-deductible, fully transferable limited powertrain warranty covers more than 900 components related to the engine, transmission, transfer case (if applicable) and final drive assemblies on all 2007 model-year Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Hummer, Saturn, Saab and Cadillac cars and light-duty trucks sold in the United States and Canada. GM will extend the existing roadside assistance plan to 100,000 miles or five years, and will provide courtesy transportation for a covered warranty repair.

The new warranty will apply retroactively to 2007 GM cars and trucks already sold.

For non-powertrain components, GM’s Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty remains in effect: four years or 50,000 miles for Buicks, Cadillacs, Hummers and Saabs, and three years or 36,000 miles for Chevrolets, GMCs, Pontiacs and Saturns.

The new package is an important part of GM’s sales and marketing strategy, which is focusing consumers on the inherent value of its cars and trucks. Higher quality vehicles, reduced incentives and lower daily rental fleet sales are helping increase the residual value of GM cars and trucks. In addition, GM transaction prices have been rising, well above the industry average.

Wagoner said today’s moves were the result of GM’s successful decade-long effort to dramatically improve the quality of its cars and trucks. “From the men and women who design, engineer and build our vehicles, to our union partners, suppliers and dealers, the GM team’s commitment to quality has enabled us to deliver this consumer confidence package.”

GM tracks vehicle quality several ways, including analyzing warranty visits and the results of 10 million customer surveys each year, and studying the quality surveys of several independent organizations. GM has made significant progress on all fronts:

Warranty repairs at dealers have decreased 40 percent during the past five years.
Two GM brands, Buick and Cadillac, placed in the top five in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study released last month.
GM swept the large pickup segment, placed 11 models in the top three of their segments and had two models top their segments in the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study released earlier this year.
In the Strategic Vision 2006 Total Quality Index Study, five GM models topped their segments – more wins than any other manufacturer for the second consecutive year.
GM dealers also rank among the leaders in the most recent J.D. Power and Associates Consumer Service Index study, which measures customer satisfaction among new vehicle owners with the dealer service department during the first three years of vehicle ownership.
GM’s Buick brand ranked second in the American Customer Satisfaction Index study released last month, administered by the University of Michigan's National Quality Research Center .

FOR RELEASE: 2006-09-06

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:32 AM
So its basically a 5 year warranty... its been done before. But at least there going in the right direction.

CarDomain
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:33 AM
Wow.......just wow....that's awesome for GM. This works to the benefit of those people who drive more than the average 12,000 a year like myself. I don't know if the other auto manufacture's offer roadside assistance for 100,000 miles, but I think this is great news. With all this good news coming out, and with the release of the new Silverado pretty soon....things are definately looking better in GM's part of the woods. Like I said earlier, I think we've already seen the worst of GM. In my opinion, this will help them very much. Should be interesting to see how they advertise this against Toyota .

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:40 PM
i think its kind of stupid
in 5 years 95% of the population will drive 60,000 miles or less
good idea? sure
id like to see it be 7 year/100,000 mile at least
most people drive between 10-15,000 a year, with most toward 10,000
and the fact its only the powertrain
we want bumper to bumper, we know GM builds strong powertrains that last (for the most part)

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:40 PM
make the whole car covered 5yr /60k bumper to bumper would be better

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:48 PM
Transferable.. i like that

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:03 PM
yea i mean they are going in the right direction
100,000 miles transferable
but they need to get either more years or cover the whole car or something
because the powertrain has never been a problem i dont think (with maybe one or two exceptions)

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:41 PM
oooohhhhh weeeee

my nissan has 5yr/100k warranty
big whoop

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:59 PM
hell, my used tacoma has 7yr/100k warranty on it.

bumper to bumper would be better...then GM owners wouldn't have to change their own freakin power window motors every 5k miles.

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:16 PM
Wow, some people just bitch about anything! GM extends the warranty and people just bitch and moan about "oh they should do this or that". Take two GM cars, one of them is a 2006, the other a 2007. 4 years after the car is purchased brand new (60,000 miles later, it's a long distance commuter) and suddenly the transmission starts acting up and/or gives out. Oops, sucks if you have a 2006, you're SOL. 2007 car....GM will get your car towed to their dealership, fix it under warranty, and provide you with a loaner.....no charge. How is this a bad thing? It's not like they're charging extra for this.....plus I like the fact that they offer roadside service extended! This covers things that have nothing to do with powertrain, such as running out of gas, flat tire, etc.

Yea of course bumper to bumper would be better, but I don't see how this is a stupid thing.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:19 PM
This is definatly a huge step for GM! I think it will raise their sales ALOT! Makes me want another GM product.

dan

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:37 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:Wow, some people just bitch about anything! GM extends the warranty and people just bitch and moan about "oh they should do this or that". Take two GM cars, one of them is a 2006, the other a 2007. 4 years after the car is purchased brand new (60,000 miles later, it's a long distance commuter) and suddenly the transmission starts acting up and/or gives out. Oops, sucks if you have a 2006, you're SOL. 2007 car....GM will get your car towed to their dealership, fix it under warranty, and provide you with a loaner.....no charge. How is this a bad thing? It's not like they're charging extra for this.....plus I like the fact that they offer roadside service extended! This covers things that have nothing to do with powertrain, such as running out of gas, flat tire, etc.

Yea of course bumper to bumper would be better, but I don't see how this is a stupid thing.

its kind of stupid because they are putting a warranty on like the one part of the car that doesnt really need coverage

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:46 PM
about time!

Adds Value..helps...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:57 PM
themarin8r wrote:

its kind of stupid because they are putting a warranty on like the one part of the car that doesnt really need coverage

That's better. It's kind of stupid, but it's still a great thing.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:08 PM
I coulda used 100K ........i used to put 40K a year on my cavy....and I put almost 20K on my truck per year and I drive just city...how can someone drive 10K a year? Just walk and save gas

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:49 PM
I have put over 20,000 miles on my Trailblazer since December 17th, 2005.

I have put another 12,000 plus on my Cavalier in the same period.

But I am not the only one that drives the TB. But when I go somewhere with the wife and kid we take the TB.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:53 AM
The hardest part of GM warranty work is getting them to do it. Most (and no, i didn't say all) GM dealerships will do everything in their power to get out of warranty work. If that is being changed too then i say go for it.

CarDomain
Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:37 AM
^^
I have never had a problem w/ dealers not doing the work except on issue which they could not reproduce. Which two other dealers offered to fix w/o the issue arising.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:52 AM
Sappy96 wrote:^^
I have never had a problem w/ dealers not doing the work except on issue which they could not reproduce.

Same here, when I had my Cavy they only problems the dealership wouldn't fix were the ones that they "couldn't reproduce". Which in my opinion is sometimes BS because everytime I would get in the car the problem would arise, but magically when they try it, it goes away.....but whatever, they weren't major issues anyways....

Thursday, September 07, 2006 7:18 AM
chris wrote:The hardest part of GM warranty work is getting them to do it. Most (and no, i didn't say all) GM dealerships will do everything in their power to get out of warranty work. If that is being changed too then i say go for it.

I wouldn't say that is true. Atleast I don't have a problem. Maybe years ago that was a problem. Now since Warranty work has gone down extremly, Some dealerships are looking at any reason to do work.

A Local Chevy dealership shop used to be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Last year they dropped it to 12 hours a day 5 days a week. They also cut the work force down like crazy.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 7:59 AM
My cavy blew 5 engines so this warranty would be a VERY welcome addition in my book over a longer bumper-to-bumper. The Z24 was otherwise a very good car outside of the motors

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search