Musclecar TV Crate Camaro - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Musclecar TV Crate Camaro
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:49 AM
Its alive it alive

finally i've been waiting for them to finish it

and the car is 80% brand new

After months of work, the Crate Camaro is on the ground and running, and we'll give it away later this year!

Products Source Phone
Mallory Performance
Uni-Lite distributor and coil.

www.malloryperformance.com 216-688-8300

GM Performance
4L60E 4-speed overdrive transmission and control module.

www.gmgoodwrench.com 888-696-2826

Sanderson
Block Hugger headers.

www.sandersonheaders.com 800-669-2430

Vintage Air
Front Runner serpentine setup.

www.vintageair.com 210-654-7171

Edelbrock
Endurashine manifold and carburetor.

www.edelbrock.com 800-FUN-TEAM

GM Performance
ZZ4 350 Crate Motor with 355HP/400lbs torque.

www.gmgoodwrench.com 888-696-2826

Year One
Reproduction '69 Camaro body by Dynacor.

www.yearone.com 800-932-7663

Rock Valley
Stainless steel gas tank.

www.rockvalley.com 800-344-1934

Flowmaster
Mufflers and exhaust tubing.

www.flowmastermufflers.com 800-544-4761

Covan
Molded plastic dash.

www.covan.com 770-667-7684

Auto Meter
ULTRA-LITE gauges.

www.autometer.com 800-577-6638

Painless Performance
Wiring harness.

www.painleassperformance.com 800-423-9696

Rick's First Generation
Shifter.

www.firstgen.com 800-359-7717

Classic Industries
Pigtails for body wiring.

www.classicindustries.com 800-854-1280

Royal Purple
Synthetic motor oil.

www.royalpurple.com 866-896-4068

Re: Musclecar TV Crate Camaro
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:07 AM
Whats not brand new on the car?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:14 AM
Sappy96 wrote:Whats not brand new on the car?

seats well the covering is new but not the frames or springs and the heater a/c controls

that i know of off hand

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:09 AM
Yeah, I heard about those. They've remade entire new bodies with thicker metal. I'd absolutely buy one. If you buy a convertible it's cheaper than a real one. 13,500$ for the whole shell is a bit dear for the coupe, but the convertible is a bargain. You can make one with all the neat parts for a lot less than the cost of a used but restored car.

If they lowered their price to about 8 or 9k for the coupe they'd make up for the loss in total $$$ sales price with sheer volume of demand. Every racer and restorer would be ordering one.
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:43 AM
actually the sheet metal is thiner than the orginal

the coupe and convertible are the same price

and the body is only from the firewall and back so you dont have any front sheetmetal or subframe

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:15 PM
^^^
True but you can buy fenders and such for cheap.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:34 PM
9k is still a bit of a rip
i paid 3300 bucks for a fully restored shell of a mustang coupe WITH a parts car, parts, motor (actually 2, a 302 and a 289 that was in the parts car, along with an auto tranny and 4 speed toploader)
9k+ for a frame/body is ridiculous

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:37 PM
^^ how long ago was that?

At least a couple years right?

And this way its all new, you know whats done to the car and how.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:41 PM
well it was 5 years ago
and it was just the shell that was put together, you could see that everything but the roof pretty much was new
everything else was parts
im sure demand is up, but for 9k+ you could get a workable car that runs

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:41 PM
Sappy96 wrote:^^ how long ago was that?

plus its all welded up and the big thing ZERO RUST

the guys on muscle car did do some body work mainly trying to get laser straight body lines

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:45 PM
CodeRedZ24 (aka Geeds) wrote:
Sappy96 wrote:^^ how long ago was that?

plus its all welded up and the big thing ZERO RUST

the guys on muscle car did do some body work mainly trying to get laser straight body lines

themarin8r wrote:well it was 5 years ago
and it was just the shell that was put together, you could see that everything but the roof pretty much was new
everything else was parts
im sure demand is up, but for 9k+ you could get a workable car that runs

there was no rust whatsoever
bodywork was done to get it nice and sharp

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:47 PM
True, you can get a running car for 9k+ but then you more than likely will have to do suspension work and alot of custom fabbing to get it the way you want. Plus strip it all back down for paint.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:47 PM
well granted I rather get a project car cheaper than shelling out 13k but for those who dont have the time or know how to swap quarters floorpans etc.. its a good thing

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:04 PM
true i mean if you have the money might as well
but i still think its a bit much
do they even come with vins?

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:19 PM
CodeRedZ24 (aka Geeds) wrote:well granted I rather get a project car cheaper than shelling out 13k but for those who dont have the time or know how to swap quarters floorpans etc.. its a good thing

There's also the question of time. If you spend all your weekends for a year trying to fix a car because it's insanely rusted, it's worth the extra cost to just skip all of that. I once worked on a 1967 Firebird convertible and the undercarriage was so rusted that the only thing holding the front subframe to the rest of the body was rust and the weight of the car. Same with the axle, one hard launch and the thing would have ripped right off. Hell, when we brought the 'Bird in the shop we rolled it in and the damn thing was crooked. Remember what the old Novas used to do? Same thing.

Plus, where else you gonna get a convertible Camaro? Most of them are not cheap. I Canada where I am, people wanna sell you their mildly rusted 1975 slant six Duster for 10k. It's insanely expensive and it's getting to the point where I'm looking at 1984 Hurst/Olds, 1987 Monte-Carlo SS Aerocoupes and 1987 Buick Grand Nationals as alternatives to the 60's/70's musclecars.

The way I see it, It'd be totally worth it to pay 13,500$ for the convertible body if you could get a nice hot-rod Camaro coupe with a lot of go fast goodies that's been in a rear end collision for 7-8k. Use the VIN from the trashed Camaro on the convertible, put the whole thing back together and you're still under 30k. A crapload less than your average stock convertible and you can sell it for more than it cost to make.

And yeah, this does bring up the bling bling element of the hobby that's raised it's ugly head. I can always tell it's a bling boy that owns a musclecar when I see aftermarket air, 22" dubs and an automatic in a car worth more than everything I've ever owned in my entire life, but I say God bless em. They're not too bright and they spend assfulls of cash on stupid stuff and they're driving the price of mid-level musclecars that haven't been featured in the Fast and The Furious or xXx down. Things like 4-4-2s and Buick GS455's and Duster 340s and Dart Swingers are safe for now. Especially if they're stickshift cuz these guys couldn't work a clutch if you held a gun to their heads.
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:33 PM
Jeremy Knox wrote:
CodeRedZ24 (aka Geeds) wrote:well granted I rather get a project car cheaper than shelling out 13k but for those who dont have the time or know how to swap quarters floorpans etc.. its a good thing

And yeah, this does bring up the bling bling element of the hobby that's raised it's ugly head. I can always tell it's a bling boy that owns a musclecar when I see aftermarket air, 22" dubs and an automatic in a car worth more than everything I've ever owned in my entire life, but I say God bless em. They're not too bright and they spend assfulls of cash on stupid stuff and they're driving the price of mid-level musclecars that haven't been featured in the Fast and The Furious or xXx down. Things like 4-4-2s and Buick GS455's and Duster 340s and Dart Swingers are safe for now. Especially if they're stickshift cuz these guys couldn't work a clutch if you held a gun to their heads.

nope I've seen 442s desicrated into pimp my rides

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:52 PM
^ example, watch the music video "Goodies by Ciara (feat. Petey Pablo)" and you'll see way 442's arn't safe
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:22 PM
No vins. All would have to be kit cars.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:24 PM
Sappy96 wrote:No vins. All would have to be kit cars.

they are saying you can get a vin from a junkyard and put it on a vin from a wrecked 69 camaro

or you can go through the state and get a brand new vin

I also heard somewhere you could get a new vin from GM for these crate camaros but I dont know if thats true or not

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:49 PM

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:34 PM
That's what's known as a rebody, and is very illegal.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:07 PM
Rebodying is illegal when it's a stolen car but when you're taking a legal VIN from a rusted out hulk and transferring it to a new body it shouldn't be a problem. It's playing with the law, but politicians do it all the time. So let's live by their example.

Technically speaking, all you've done is radically restore the car. As long as you buy the car whose VIN you're using and physically take it away home and transfer all the VIN stuff on the new body, you'll be fine.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:21 PM
Jeremy Knox wrote:Rebodying is illegal when it's a stolen car but when you're taking a legal VIN from a rusted out hulk and transferring it to a new body it shouldn't be a problem. It's playing with the law, but politicians do it all the time. So let's live by their example.

Technically speaking, all you've done is radically restore the car. As long as you buy the car whose VIN you're using and physically take it away home and transfer all the VIN stuff on the new body, you'll be fine.

Actually, no. That's still a rebody and is still illegal.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:49 PM
SpcmnSpff302 (Teh Gambler) wrote:
Jeremy Knox wrote:Rebodying is illegal when it's a stolen car but when you're taking a legal VIN from a rusted out hulk and transferring it to a new body it shouldn't be a problem. It's playing with the law, but politicians do it all the time. So let's live by their example.

Actually, no. That's still a rebody and is still illegal.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Technically you're supposed to keep the firewall, but who's gonna check?
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:32 PM
i've got a friend that lost his VIN on his car, and all he had do is have the state police look over his 65 mustang, then he was able to get a new VIN issued to him. The funny thing is we took the front fenders off and i ran across some numbers and i asked what they were. he was like OMFG that is the VIN i was looking all over for!. too late now
Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:20 AM
Still, its not an original mustang vin.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search