bike people in here...advice needed. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bike people in here...advice needed.
Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:29 AM
went to a local bike shop with a friend yesterday to get a birthday gift for a mutual friend of ours when i came across the Honda Rebel. i know it's a good starter cruiser, as it's small, lightweight, and really doesn't have too much power. i've also seen pictures of the Suzuki GZ250, which falls into the same class as the Rebel, and i really like that as well.

keep in mind, i've never been on a motorcycle before(hell, i don't know much about bikes anyway...), and i have no intention of going "fast" on it...so yes, i want a pussy bike. i also can't stand the typical "sport bike" look - it'll either be a cruiser or nothing for me.

for reference...

Honda Rebel: http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/cruiser_standard/model.asp?ModelName=Rebel&ModelYear=2005&ModelId=CMX250C5&bhcp=1

Suzuki GZ250: http://www.suzukicycles.com/products/GZ250K5/Default.aspx

any other suggestions?

i won't be buying for another year, as i haven't yet taken the MSF course and i've got a loan to pay off on the Subaru...so i've got time to shop around.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

you know, i love when people like to criticize others about their behavior,
but turn around and do the same freaking thing months later...

Re: bike people in here...advice needed.
Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:09 AM
the honda looks better
and get it in that orange

Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:38 AM
the rebel is a damn good first bike...i know a lot of people that have them and had them...i've been thinking of getting one myself as my first bike.....

http://members.cardomain.com/bozeybeau

Sunday, July 23, 2006 12:29 PM
i would never buy an orange bike...ever.

my friend's been telling me i should get a scooter first, then go for a bike. i might end up doing that - in which case i'll be bypassing the baby bikes and going for something a bit bigger. it depends mostly on finances and such.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Sunday, July 23, 2006 3:35 PM
well, im in the middle of the MSF course and all were using is gz 250 bikes and its uncomftorbale for me, im too big for it and im only 5 10. however as for power and such, it should be right up your alley, its a great beginner bike if you can fit on it.

if you take the MSF course most likely they will have either honda rebels or gz 250s so id wait till then before buying, that way you can test ride them

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, July 23, 2006 6:54 PM
i'm short - 5'4" - so a smaller cruiser is ideal for me.

the course i would be attending will PROBABLY be at the Harley store in Baltimore...but only because they have the best course in Maryland. they use Buells, unfortunately...but i know the class is far better. i plan on taking that next spring, so i'm going to start trying on gear this fall(because hopefully i will have dropped 10 lbs by then), and i'll buy all that before i take the course.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:05 PM
well, if you buy the gear before hand, it will provide incentive to do good on the course, since you already invested money into riding gear

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Monday, July 24, 2006 2:41 AM
that's PRECISELY what i was figuring...

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Monday, July 24, 2006 2:32 PM
I think the suzuki looks better, and hold more fuel in it's tank(over a gallon extra), but I'm a HUGE suzuki fan.

The Honda Rebels have been around for years, and have a huge fan base. They are very reliable, and low maintenance.

The Honda is probably the better choice. It has a huge aftermarket available, which is nice.

Both are perfect options. I would definately go for one of those instead of a scooter.

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:39 PM
aftermarket? yeah, i'm not worried about modifying a bike yet(if at all). i barely know a thing about them.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:51 PM
I could've sworn that I already made this post earlier, but I guess not, so here it goes:

I would also take a look at the Yamaha Virago. It's in the same class as the Rebel or GZ, but instead of having a parallel-twin it comes with a much more appropriate (and powerful in the low-to-mid range) V-twin. Plus, I think they're the best-looking of the three, especially in that black cherry color.

Although, to be completely honest, I would just bypass the really tiny motorcycles and move up to the 600-class cruisers. Something like Yamaha V-Star, Suzuki S40/Savage, or Honda Shadow VLX. None are too big, but they have a little extra meat behind them, which is a good thing when you're on a cruiser.

Also, I know you're not into sportbikes, but don't overlook the Suzuki SV650. It doesn't look like a typical sportbike (unless you happen to see Ducatis regularly), is a very comfortable long-distance runner (especially the non-S model with regular handlebars intstead of the S-model's clip-ons), is a hell of a lot of fun to throw around in the twisties, has massive power, and sounds really good with a D&D exhaust. This is my personal recommendation.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:05 AM
if u must go with the EXTREMELY boring cruiser type ill agree with the yammy in black cherry.

now if u wanted somethign that was actually fun, the sv650 ftw by FAR,

Creative Draft Art Media Forums
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:07 AM
Nathaniel O'Flaherty wrote:if u must go with the EXTREMELY boring cruiser type ill agree with the yammy in black cherry.

now if u wanted somethign that was actually fun, the sv650 ftw by FAR,

"fun" vs "boring" is really in the eye of the beholder...and my coworker has the sv650. it's a speedbike...i DID already say at least once that i don't want that, i can't stand that style, and i won't get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:24 AM

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:27 AM
Ian Brown Music wrote:Although, to be completely honest, I would just bypass the really tiny motorcycles and move up to the 600-class cruisers. Something like Yamaha V-Star, Suzuki S40/Savage, or Honda Shadow VLX. None are too big, but they have a little extra meat behind them, which is a good thing when you're on a cruiser.

i saw that Suzuki on the website, and i like it...but they didn't have one in the store for me to see.

Quote:

Also, I know you're not into sportbikes, but don't overlook the Suzuki SV650. It doesn't look like a typical sportbike (unless you happen to see Ducatis regularly)

like i said in my response to Nathaniel, my coworker has one(though his is an S, so he sits on his knuckles all day)...i suppose it looks nice to people who like that style of bike, but it looks like every other sportbike out there to me.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:42 AM
I like the looks of the Suzuki you posted better.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:41 PM
Kind of a tough choice for a shorter rider but my morals force me to ask you to get an 883 Sportster. Really a good starter bike and come on its a Harley.

Really would you rather have a Jap bike that copied the Harleys or just gather up $5000 and buy a used Sporty then you'll have the real deal. Plus its fun to tell girls that you have a Harley, not some Japper that sounds like ass. IMO

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:03 PM
don't want a bike with an engine that hasn't been updated since the 30s...and yes, i'd rather have a bike that's cheap as hell and is good on the insurance like a jap cruiser.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:49 PM
Here's what I've noticed about HD's:

Everybody has to have one. Why is that? So you can put decals and license plates on your truck? So everyone thinks you're cool because you have "a Harley"? @!#$ that, I can't think of one Harley that is better than a bike comparable to it. Plus, a lot of Harley riders I've met are toolbags, and they look down on anyone who rides a Jap bike. I guess they're jealous because we only have to add oil during regular service intervals. I mean, if I see a good-looking Harley I'll give credit where credit's due, but I would never own one just to say that I owned one.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:54 PM
i know only one person who actually RIDES his Harley. he has put nearly 7k miles on his in the year he's had it.

yes, he's only had it a year and he rides it nearly every day. he takes it on long trips, etc. he still wears the "uniform," though.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 8:45 AM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Someday you guys will hit puberty.

not updated since the 30's?? that comment doesn't even dignify a response.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:36 AM
1 - i'm female, and three years older than you. puberty isn't an issue here, but thanks for your immature response.
2 - i enjoy the idea of having a less expensive bike with lower insurance and newer technology. while i like and appreciate harleys, i would never own one. i just can't justify the expense for something i won't get to ride for more than MAYBE 6 months out of the year(if i'm lucky).

now, some of us actually enjoy being a bit more frugal while still having a little fun. instead of attempting to insult my willingness to save money(and my maturity), why not keep your trap shut and your fingers still? good for you for insisting that everyone who wants a cruiser must have a harley...you've shoehorned yourself into *that* group rather quickly, and successfully made yourself look like an immature ass.

take your newb self and sit in the corner...i'm ordering a timeout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:40 AM

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:17 AM
an 883 as a starter bike? especially for someone that has never been on a bike and is petite.

I would go for the rebel, but not a brand new one as you'll probably drop it being your first bike...
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:35 AM
i believe i've said at least once that i don't intend to get a new bike...i'm far from a fool when it comes to this sort of thing.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:14 AM
lilbit01 wrote:i'm far from a fool

Agreed.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:21 AM
<3

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search