T5 question - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
T5 question
Sunday, July 23, 2006 12:02 AM
ok, got a question about T5's. it's a ford question, so be prepaired

what are the differences between a fox body T5 and an SN95 T5? so far we've heard bellhousing and input shaft. any thoughts? how hard would it be to make a fox T5 fit an SN95?

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E

Re: T5 question
Sunday, July 23, 2006 12:03 AM
ah crap. forgot, both cars are 5.0L cars

Andy

ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:13 PM
Either way, T5's are craps transmissions. I have blown up 4 of them in my Mustang within the 9 years I have owned it (drove it for 5 years daily). Your best bet for a transmission is swapping to a T56 out of a Camaro or Viper. They are pretty much bulletproof.

However, I don't know if you can interchange the transmissions. The only thing I could see being different is if the SN95 has an electronic speedo. I know for a fact they both use cable-driven clutches.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:39 PM
Maybe it was the driver? I know plenty of T5's that have seen more than their share of strip time on slicks and still work fine with 100K on the clock.

O noes!
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:27 PM
the input shaft is a little longer to accomidate the larger bellhousing. people have done it before but IMO your best bet is to either just get a sn95 trans or call up one of the million t5 parts suppliers and get a longer input shaft.

getting a smaller bellhousing to accomidate the fox trans will move everything up. which means you will have to alter the trans mount, get a longer ds, and now your shifter will be in a slightly different position.

as for the t5 being crap, some people blow them, some people don't. I think it comes down to the one shifting it. however t5's have been biult to handle way over 600hp. and beefing up the t5 will be cheaper than buying a t56 and then modifying everything else to make it fit.

who the hell really needs 2 overdrives anyway. and the lower rotating mass and overall weight of the t-5 (75 vs. 130lbs) itself makes for an advantage

------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:56 PM
Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:04 AM
NUTCASE . wrote:the input shaft is a little longer to accomidate the larger bellhousing. people have done it before but IMO your best bet is to either just get a sn95 trans or call up one of the million t5 parts suppliers and get a longer input shaft.

getting a smaller bellhousing to accomidate the fox trans will move everything up. which means you will have to alter the trans mount, get a longer ds, and now your shifter will be in a slightly different position.

as for the t5 being crap, some people blow them, some people don't. I think it comes down to the one shifting it. however t5's have been biult to handle way over 600hp. and beefing up the t5 will be cheaper than buying a t56 and then modifying everything else to make it fit.

who the hell really needs 2 overdrives anyway. and the lower rotating mass and overall weight of the t-5 (75 vs. 130lbs) itself makes for an advantage

thanks. my friend already has a T5 from his old fox, and has an SN95 that he wants to put it in, so he's already got the T5. he plans on rebuilding it with better parets, and modifying it to fit his new stang. he's only puttin down 275ish to the crank, so we're not too worried about breaking it. as for a T56, that's completely out of the question. they cost too much, and just dont have a point in that car other than they're beefier, and if you can build a tranny as beefy, then screw it. how hard is it to swap the input shafts? and is the tranny mount in an SN95 the same for the auto and 5spd? or will that need to be swapped out as well. thanks for what i've gotten so far.

Andy

Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:17 AM
ok, I think I'm just about tapped out for now. the majority of my mustang knowledge extends to fox's cause thats what I have owned. here are some places you could search though....

stangnet.com -used to be an avid member
corral.net
mustangforums.com

good luck

when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Thursday, July 27, 2006 11:39 AM
zsquee24 wrote:Either way, T5's are craps transmissions. I have blown up 4 of them in my Mustang within the 9 years I have owned it (drove it for 5 years daily). Your best bet for a transmission is swapping to a T56 out of a Camaro or Viper. They are pretty much bulletproof.

However, I don't know if you can interchange the transmissions. The only thing I could see being different is if the SN95 has an electronic speedo. I know for a fact they both use cable-driven clutches.

you dont know how to drive

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:31 AM
NUTCASE . wrote:ok, I think I'm just about tapped out for now. the majority of my mustang knowledge extends to fox's cause thats what I have owned. here are some places you could search though....

stangnet.com -used to be an avid member
corral.net
mustangforums.com

good luck

already tried those. apperantly mustang guys dont like to help much. that's why i posted here, and i've already got more info! weird ford people.

and
Quote:

Your best bet for a transmission is swapping to a T56 out of a Camaro or Viper. They are pretty much bulletproof.

tremeks and TKO's both fit with little to no fabrication and can put up with as much or more power than a T56... and the T56 out of a camaro isnt the same as a T56 out of a viper. the viper has a hardened input shaft good for over 500 horse, the camaro does not.

Andy

Friday, July 28, 2006 1:29 PM
WORK wrote:

already tried those. apperantly mustang guys dont like to help much. that's why i posted here, and i've already got more info! weird ford people.

Search first. They dont like to answer questions that have been asked hundreds of times. Just about every question you can possibly thing of can be answered on one of those forums with a search.

RE Audio

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search