grand prix (3800 sc) review - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
grand prix (3800 sc) review
Friday, July 21, 2006 1:35 PM
My farther came in from england for a few days and rented a car to get around. I saw that it was a grand prix and was curious as to what motor it would have. I poped the hood and sure enough there was a 3800 sc. I was thinking yeea im gonna get to play raven

later that night around 10 I got ahold of the keys and took it out. first impression was how much better it felt right off the bat then my cav. I went on to the main road and wasted no timing slamming the petal. with no hesatation the car picked up and went. unfortunetly it wasnt as impressive as I had hoped. mind you it was 90 degress out and I had the ac on. it was a nice strong pull but it didnt feel that much stonrger then my cav. I did a few down and backs and even with tc off the tires would only spin slightly. I was pulling around for my last turn to come home when I realised that the whole time I had the ac on. so I turned it off to get everything out of it and it made a noticalbe difference. I pulled much harder and just felt quicker. but still not what my mind had glorified this motor to be.

now I do realize that the grand prix is a much bigger car. im sure at leats 1000 lbs heavir then the cav, but still I kinda of just figured a little more.

over seems like a great car, beautiful sound from low to high rpms and a super confortabl ride, with the power steering turned wayyyy up.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Re: grand prix (3800 sc) review
Friday, July 21, 2006 1:38 PM
its not even close to 1000 lbs heavier

maybe 500, maybe

-Borsty
Friday, July 21, 2006 1:49 PM
the grand prix GTP is a def nice car. all the grand prix are nice. the 97-03 GT where the best looking years i think for them. my father had a 2004 grand prix GT non sc and that motor was plenty strong and the car always got alot of looks. when i would drive it to school because i didnt want to take my truck all the kids in the parking lot would say how it was nice looking and ask if its fast because it looks it.
Friday, July 21, 2006 1:53 PM
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3477 3484 3600
thats sedan, GT and GXP curb weights
close to 1000 lbs more than a cav coupe

Friday, July 21, 2006 1:58 PM
I know my car has 1000 lbs on the cav coupe The more stable cars some times seem like they aren't going as fast as they really are.

I wonder if the new grand prix GXPs feel faster?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Friday, July 21, 2006 2:02 PM
the GXP is the V8 i dont know what that car runs in the 1/4th but its going to be in the low 14s because with a few bolton with the GTP its in the high 13s. the car weights like 3400lb but its got the power to make it move.
the new grand prixs are
Sedan 3.8 non sc
GT 3.8 SC
GXP V8
Friday, July 21, 2006 2:05 PM
It should run high 13s stock.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Friday, July 21, 2006 3:39 PM
gxp's run mid to low 14's , gtp's run high 14's to low 15's stock

my cav is fater than the g/fs gtp , but id give up my cav for the gtp

the gtp is a great car and a blast to drive around

Friday, July 21, 2006 5:28 PM
best time on a GXP so far is a 13.9. so yeah, it should feel quite a bit faster. amazing how 43 horse and bigger tires can pull a second off your time, isnt it.

stock, GTP's are quick. not fast. they usually run low 15's, with about 1/4 in the high high 14's. it's the ease of pulling power out of them that makes them more fun (yes, it's easy... just not cheap)

normal weight for driver + car is around 36-3700 lbs.

the newer GP's with the series III 3800s/c ('04+) have an extra 20 horse or so, though they're a tad heavier, as well. kinda evens it out.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Friday, July 21, 2006 7:24 PM
it just felt so smooth. every turn every movement. the car just felt....... better

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, July 21, 2006 7:52 PM
That's how they are... Better!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search