Toyota's new line of 4 cylinders - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Toyota's new line of 4 cylinders
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:52 AM
The redesigned Toyota Corolla, due to be launched in Japan this fall, is expected to be powered by the first in a family of new four-cylinder gasoline engines.

Toyota says its new 1.8-liter engine will be cleaner, more efficient and more powerful than its predecessor.

For example, Toyota says the engine will offer at least a 5 percent improvement in fuel efficiency compared to conventional engines.

Toyota builds 1 million of the current engines a year in plants around the globe. The new 1.8-liter engine will be the first in a family of engines that will range from 1.6 to 3.0 liters.

To raise fuel efficiency and cut emissions, the new engine uses Toyota's variable valve timing for both intake and output strokes -- known as Dual VVT-i -- and ultralight pistons. It also reduces friction by using roller bearings in the rocker arms.

To make the engine smaller and lighter, Toyota used a modular front section of the engine, which incorporates the water pump and chain cover. Aisin Seiki supplies the module.

Toyota also used smaller-diameter spark plugs to reduce engine size.
The engine will be built at Toyota's Shimoyama engine plant in Miyoshi, near Toyota City. Currently the plant manufactures 1.8-, 2.4- and 3.5-liter gasoline engines; a 3.0-liter diesel engine; and emission-control devices.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Toyota's new line of 4 cylinders
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:49 AM
DUAL V-TEC JUST KICKED IN YO

na but really sounds like a good idea, toyota seems to always produce engines with great fuel millage but just seem to always lack a little in the power department

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:05 AM
why cant we get a diesel tacoma or something?

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:11 AM
^Emissions and the stereotypes that is still out there about diesels will be hard to convince N-A market.

Personally, I love diesels and their potential.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:44 AM
97cavy22 wrote:DUAL V-TEC JUST KICKED IN YO

na but really sounds like a good idea, toyota seems to always produce engines with great fuel millage but just seem to always lack a little in the power department

power does not allow for fuel economy when it's a 4 cylinder in question.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:52 AM
lilbit01 wrote:
97cavy22 wrote:DUAL V-TEC JUST KICKED IN YO

power does not allow for fuel economy when it's a 4 cylinder in question.

ummm..... yeahhhh

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:08 PM
i love toyota engines. my 83 celica got 29 MPG, my wifes 98 corolla gets 33 MPG(mixed), and my mom's 05 camry gets 30 MPG (4cyl). my next vehicle will definately be a toyota...

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:15 PM
Toyota made a name for itself by making dependable cars for a really long time for an affordable price, but the mechanic in me hears something like "Toyota used a modular front section of the engine, which incorporates the water pump and chain cover.", I think mechanical nightmare. But, hey, I have never seen it, nor am I in a position to make a comment about it. Just a gut feeling.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 11:45 AM
It would be a whole lot better if they brought an 8th generation Celica, AWD, with a newly designed 3SGTE. Bring the GTFOUR name back. That would be awesome. As far as the dual VVT, this is not new. They used this design in the late 90s in the BEAMS 3SGE used in Toyota Altezzas.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 1:45 PM
Toyota pride world wide.

"Turbochargers were for people who can't build engines"
- Keith Duckworth, Father of the Cosworth V8. Winningest motor in F1 history
Thursday, July 06, 2006 4:13 PM
RaiLS wrote:Toyota made a name for itself by making dependable cars for a really long time for an affordable price, but the mechanic in me hears something like "Toyota used a modular front section of the engine, which incorporates the water pump and chain cover.", I think mechanical nightmare. But, hey, I have never seen it, nor am I in a position to make a comment about it. Just a gut feeling.

Isn't that weird. I thought the same thing. because isn't the internal water pump in the 2.4 LD9's from the 3rd gen Z24's the same thing? or roughly the same idea? And if so, when those go it's a small fortune to fix.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search