Which - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Which
Friday, June 02, 2006 1:36 PM
I need your guys/gals help. I was looking to get a "Project/collectors" car. I know the cars I am looking at are way opposites but I really like them and I can only afford one. The 3 cars I was looking at was a 1957 Bel Air, 1959 Bel Air or a 03/04 Cobra SVT. I can get a 03/04 Vert Cobra for around $26K and I could get a 57 bel air for about the same price. Or I could get a 1959 bel air (picture of actual car below) for around $12K. What I would do is put down $3k or $4K and finance the rest. If you guys/gals were in my position what car would you go with. Which car do you think is a better buy?

1959 Chevy (actual car I am looking at)

2003 SVT Cobra (not actual car Im looking at)

1957 Chevy (not actual car Im looking at)

Thanks JBO!

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me

Re: Which
Friday, June 02, 2006 1:44 PM
If you get the Impala, lose the Daytons. Looks like a nice piece, but check around the cowl, rockers, rear window, etc. for signs of rust. Looks like it may have been pretty well taken care of, though. The Bel Air, same thing. For the price it's probably a decent car but hey, it's 50 years old. Personally, I'm not a big fan of those particular Mustangs, but hey, if it's blown, and it's a convertible, I could prolly bring myself to drive the snot out of it. I'd pick the Bel Air personally. It's a car that would make a sweet hot rod, or just as a resto. Can't go wrong there.

Friday, June 02, 2006 1:48 PM
Screw the MUSTAKE.

Go with the 57 or look into first generations f-bodies (camaros and firebirds 67-69)

Friday, June 02, 2006 1:57 PM

True I do alreay own a 1995 Mustang GT Vert 5.0L. So maybe the 03 SVT is not such a good idea.

Friday, June 02, 2006 2:02 PM
Hey, Texas Auto!

I look at their auctions almost every day. They offer some good trucks from time to time for good prices.

Friday, June 02, 2006 2:03 PM
Anyways, I would go with a Bel Air.

Definitely much easier to make a project out of, much more rare, and will be worth alot more later.

Friday, June 02, 2006 2:16 PM
Mikedirntrulez wrote:Anyways, I would go with a Bel Air.

Definitely much easier to make a project out of, much more rare, and will be worth alot more later.

X2

Friday, June 02, 2006 2:17 PM
(My dream car)An SVT Cobra R would be a collectors' piece. Not just an SVT.

Friday, June 02, 2006 3:25 PM
^^^ dream car is a broken link?

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:56 PM

Friday, June 02, 2006 9:50 PM
the 59 for less money
make it yours

Saturday, June 03, 2006 6:22 AM
The 57 all the way. I have wanted one every since I was a kid. I had about six 57 hotwheel and matchbox cars.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 6:48 AM
SVT!

Saturday, June 03, 2006 11:27 AM
^^^ COBRA R!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, June 03, 2006 12:07 PM
get the 57. my uncle bought one brand new WAY back in the day and just sold it last year. amazing vehicle. i will never get over the body lines on that thing.

get the 57.

i'm baaaaack!!
Saturday, June 03, 2006 12:18 PM
Cobra.

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Saturday, June 03, 2006 1:26 PM
I don't really consider a old "project car" to cost over 25k unless it is something rare or exotic IMO. Those cars look and sound finished to me, and that takes away most of the fun IMO. Out of the three I'd go for the 59(links not working so I can't see the pic) I love 55-57 chevys and so does everyone else, so they will raise in value but they are mainstream so when you go to a show you will see tons of them. The 59 is kind of an odd ball and you won't see many 58-60 chevy's at shows.(that's why I like em)

I would consider what you really want first. The cobra is going to go down in value and I wouldn't consider that a collector car. I really think old muscle cars is where the money and the most fun would be IMO.

I've been debating on picking up a small block (non numbers matching) 68-72 corvette and daily driving it. You can still find decent examples for under 20k. I figure by the time I graduate college(a few years away) they will probably double in price, and if I was to have a kid down the road you can't fit a car seat in a vette.lol so it seems like this would be the right time to buy one... a black and gold 77-78 T/A would also fit in the catagory.
Saturday, June 03, 2006 1:34 PM
I say SVT. The Cobra R or whatever is ugly as hell

-Brandon

Saturday, June 03, 2006 2:33 PM
RkSport 2003 wrote:Screw the MUSTAKE.

Go with the 57 or look into first generations f-bodies (camaros and firebirds 67-69)

NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!!!

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:15 PM
get the bel-air you won't regret it ever.
Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:22 PM
He's right.

F-body.

But you know ... the second ANYONE SAYS THE OBVIOUS RATIONAL CHOICE some peasant in a Geo is gonna cry FAN BOI!!!111!!!!

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:28 PM
FAN BOY!!!!!!!! but on a serious note between 12-26K you can find a pretty nice 32 ford roadster or somthing. My 34 plymouth was 12K
Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:32 PM
bel air all the way my uncle has one...oh man it's a beautie....he is a 2 door hard topi think it's a 57 as well....

Monday, June 05, 2006 2:45 AM
Go with the '57. My dad has one and it's the only one around where he lives so I'm slightly biased.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!
Monday, June 05, 2006 5:30 AM
Thanks fo r the input JBO. I have some thinking and negotiating to do. I will keep you all posted.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search