Need info on a Dodge Daytona ASAP! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need info on a Dodge Daytona ASAP!
Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:39 AM
I will, hopefully be going to look at a 91 Dodge Dayton today or tomorrow. Can someone tell me any known major problems about these cars. I know nothing about them and I can not find any information on the internet about known problems.

Are they good cars?
What are/were the major problems with them?
What should I look for when looking at it?

thanks you,
Chris

Re: Need info on a Dodge Daytona ASAP!
Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:47 AM
Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:48 AM
Which engine does it have ? If its a 4 banger its a Mitsubishi enigne and they are widely know as oil burners once they hit the 100,000 mile or so mark. So if its a 4 cyl engine plan on a re-build. Sorry.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:57 AM
Sweet. Thanks.
Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:06 AM
Oops. I forgot to add the engine. Not sure, but I think it is a 4 cyl. Turbo. Did not get to much info on it. Why is the 4cyl an oil burner, what is the cause and head gasket or something?
Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:05 AM
My best friend drives an 89 Daytona Shelby. The turbo models don't run a Mitsubishi engine. Depending on the year they either run a variation of the 2.5 Chrysler commonblock, or in later models they have the DOHC engines that you find in cars like the Spirit RT , which are actually a Dodge/Lotus engine (Lotus designed the head). The 2.5 Turbo II engines are rock solid from what we've seen, he's had to replace vac lines and some seals, things of that nature but it's a 17 year old car so it's expected.

LAter Daytonas ran a DOHC engine, the Turbo III (T III), and they have issues with cracked heads. For some retarded reason they put cast iron plugs in the water jackets, yet it's an aluminum head. Like the 4G63 they hace issues with the balance shafts - if the belt breaks, kiss the timing belt goodbye, and speaking of the timing bely, the designers at Lotus sort of "overengineered" the valvetrain, and made it way too hefty for the timing belt to handle, so replacing one is a common occurance. Other than that, they're rare. Getting parts is all but impossible.

Then there's the Turbo IV, which is even more rare, I doubt you have one so I'll stop at that. But if you do, I'd be happy to dive into some detail on that one. It's a fun motor to have but it has some querks.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:24 AM
Damn I need an edit button. The Turbo II was a 2.2, not a 2.5.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:33 AM
I thought all Mopar 4 cylinders were Mitsubishi engines back then.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:47 AM
Nope. Not all of them. The Diamond Star projects are where you'll find Mitsubishi engines, cars like the Lasers and Talons, the Conquest,cars like those that had Mitsubishi siblings. And even the early Laser was modeled after the Daytona and not the Eclipse.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:02 AM
Hmm, Cool thanks!

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:58 AM
No prob. I've been learning a lot about the Daytonas. Originally I was going to just buy the wheels off my friend's to put on my Cavalier, but I'm really thinking about buying the whole car and fixing it back up. He ran the left side down a guardrail at the speed of death and the whole driver side needs replaced. But even as it sits it'll still blow the doors off just about any rice around here, even if it does look like it needs to be sent to the crusher.

I should clarify, though. Not all the turbo Daytonas came with one particular motor. The T II was the most common though. The T III was available in the Iroc Daytonas but it's more common in the Spirit R/T. The Shelby Daytonas all had the T I or T II (basically T I with an intercooler) or some had the T IV.

Okay, I'm done now.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:21 AM
If it's a V6 then it has 141hp and 177tq. The trannys aren't too reliable for the 4spd (just got done replacing one). Which are you getting exactly? Plain Daytona, Iroc, Iroc R/T?

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!
Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:26 AM
I just found out it is a 91 Iroc with the V6 engine. That's all I know about the car other then it is black.

Now I have to convince the wife to let me buy it as I just bought a Camaro Z28 and looking to put that away for some time. She wants me to get a family car and I don't want a truck or a minivan.
Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:30 AM
Nice color. I have a '93 Iroc, red. If you need any help with the tranny let me know. Me and my dad did the swap in 3 days (minus waiting for a new torque converter). Get some pics up, I wanna see what she looks like.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:37 AM
No pics, did not even buy it yet. Hopefully going to look at it tonight if the F***ing guy ever calls me back.

What kind of problems are they know for? I like to get as much info in this so I don't waste my time or his if these cars are not reliable. It hopefully will be the DD and the Camaro sits and collects dust in the garage. (under a cover of course)

Are the V6 models good vs the I4?

As far as the Trans goes, you said they are not reliable. Why because of drag racing it or just normal wear and tear?
Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:24 PM
I'm lost on the V-6. All my research and knowlege lies in the 4cyl models. So I'm listening. I want to know the deal on them too.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 2:10 PM
I had a 93 with the V-6...3.0 litre. Basically the same motor that in the base model 300Gt's and Dodge stealths. Mine was decent till the lifters started sticking....then knocking pretty loud on cold startups.......then knocking all the time..lol. Torque converter also started to go on me. It would kick in and out of overdrive just cruising. Never got any of that fixed...just traded it in instead

RE Audio
Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:07 PM
www.thedodgegarage.com

The 3.0 V6 was jointly designed by Chrysler and Mitsubishi... as far as I can remember from my time as a dodge tech the 3.0 was very solid as far as reliability goes, as long as its been well maintained. I'd rather have one of the turbo 4's, but wouldn't fret about the V6. Is this going to be a potential project car or just a daily driver?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:12 PM
the v6 is a mitsubishi, even tho it says chrysler on it(or maybe it doesnt, havent looked at it in 3+yrs)... do yourself a MAJOR favor and DO NOT buy that car.. i still have my '91 Iroc and it was a peice from day 1... unless your getting it cheap and dont plan to drive it much then it might be worth it... gets horrible gas mileage i averaged 250kms to a tank on a brand new 0km rebuilt engine, it leaks oil, coolent, power steering and trans fluid, the tranny needs another sensor as it wont shift outta first again, it eats alternators(4 in less than 6 months) it overheats easily even after a new rad, new fan, new rad cap, lets see what else 3 fuel filters in 4 months, exhaust smells like rotten eggs even after 2 new cats and 2 new mufflers, a/c never worked and when we put a new belt on it, it made the most annoying grinding noise ever, power window motors suck even after replacing them 3 times, power door locks are crazy they'd keep trying to lock(they lock about 5 seconds after u put the car in drive) and the warning chime who go like mad, im not even gonna go on cuz itd take me all nite... i've also had 2 buddies who had em with the V6's and they all had the same/more problems then my car..

there are some +'s to it tho, it looks good, lots of torque.. but thats about it... heres a pic of mine, i do kinda miss driving it but once i think of all the trouble im glad it just sits now...

-----------
ayo 8 Iz Enuff
Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:18 PM
^ sounds like you have a lemon.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:43 PM
Yeah i would go for the 4 cyl turbo, the shelby motor is pretty sweet, forged crank and rods, but from what i hear it would be better to switch those into a common block for the 12 lbs of difference on the main caps, and the end caps are 4 bolt.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:28 PM
DaBlackZ wrote:the v6 is a mitsubishi, even tho it says chrysler on it(or maybe it doesnt, havent looked at it in 3+yrs)... do yourself a MAJOR favor and DO NOT buy that car.. i still have my '91 Iroc and it was a peice from day 1... unless your getting it cheap and dont plan to drive it much then it might be worth it... gets horrible gas mileage i averaged 250kms to a tank on a brand new 0km rebuilt engine, it leaks oil, coolent, power steering and trans fluid, the tranny needs another sensor as it wont shift outta first again, it eats alternators(4 in less than 6 months) it overheats easily even after a new rad, new fan, new rad cap, lets see what else 3 fuel filters in 4 months, exhaust smells like rotten eggs even after 2 new cats and 2 new mufflers, a/c never worked and when we put a new belt on it, it made the most annoying grinding noise ever, power window motors suck even after replacing them 3 times, power door locks are crazy they'd keep trying to lock(they lock about 5 seconds after u put the car in drive) and the warning chime who go like mad, im not even gonna go on cuz itd take me all nite... i've also had 2 buddies who had em with the V6's and they all had the same/more problems then my car..

there are some +'s to it tho, it looks good, lots of torque.. but thats about it... heres a pic of mine, i do kinda miss driving it but once i think of all the trouble im glad it just sits now...

So far we haven't seen too many problems. We replaced the tranny (second time to replace it). I blew a motor when it overheated on me driving (thermostat had issues). Replaced the fuel filter because the car just got done sitting for a year and it needed it. No clue on the gas mileage since I never payed attention to it. Never replaced an alternator, the exhaust smells fine, and the passenger window motor is starting to die. It all depends on the car. I've heard tales of the 2.4 and the water pump but I haven't had a problem so maybe it'll be a lemon and maybe it won't. And the power door locks thing, it locks when you hit 15 mph automatically. If you get a chance to drive it see how it feels and give some feedback.

Friday, June 02, 2006 3:52 AM
Thanks for all the input fellas. I think I going to take a pass on this one, this was going to be the DD and from seeing that there are a lot of opinions both ways, I can not afford to buy the car and then have to repair it. Plus, and this is more important then the first. the wife won't let me buy it as she said I already have the "Mid-Life Crisis car" and what the hell do you need with another one anyway? She then says, after the house is paid off, she doesn't care if I go out and buy a Viper, we need a second family car, not a car with two back seats, (the camaro) and not enough seat belts for 3 kids. She Does have a point.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Friday, June 02, 2006 2:26 PM
your welcome my friend, wouldnt want someone to go through all the trouble(and money) that i had too...

-----------
ayo 8 Iz Enuff
Friday, June 02, 2006 3:25 PM
Sorry I couldn't help more, bro. Once you said it had a V-6 I went totally blank. Never worked on anything other than the 4cyl versions. But hey, if you find a Shelby and need some help, let me know, I'll help in any way I can.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search