Big plans for Pontiac are proposed - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Big plans for Pontiac are proposed
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:06 PM
After debating Pontiac's viability this year, General Motors' leadership plans to revive the brand's heritage of performance with a product lineup of exclusively rear-wheel-drive cars.
There would be no trucks and - after the next generation of vehicles - no front-wheel-drive cars either.

GM will unveil a rwd sedan concept at January's Detroit auto show. This echoes the strategy that GM adopted with the 1999 Evoq concept, which revealed Cadillac's new brand "look."
The Pontiac plan is not final. GM executives continue to build a business case for it. This ambitious proposal is a plan to save the brand, which has suffered declining sales. GM sold 437,806 Pontiacs in the United States last year, compared with 599,123 in 1995.
Fwd cars will not go away soon, but rwd vehicles will become more prominent in the near term.

Pontiac say GM leaders are debating:

- The future of the Grand Prix sedan.

- A possible GTO replacement based on the Chevrolet Camaro.

-A Firebird muscle car.

In recent years, Pontiac has been wracked by debate over its future. During a controversial speech at the New York auto show last year, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz called Pontiac "a damaged brand."
But Lutz said he had never asserted that the brand was "irreparably" damaged. While Pontiac is still struggling, GM is repairing the damage, and the bleeding has stopped, Lutz says.

Nevertheless, many say top-level GM executives did debate a phaseout of the brand. In January, senior executives met to discuss Pontiac's future. GM decided to revive Pontiac as a pure performance brand.
GM will trim product lineups as it consolidates Buick, Pontiac and GMC into three-brand dealerships under its retail channel strategy. Lutz said that Pontiac and Buick will not carry trucks.

Lutz did not say whether the Pontiac Torrent crossover, a rebadged Chevrolet Equinox, would one day go to GMC.
The strategy will force Pontiac to sort out its product plans for the Grand Prix. While GM hasn't set a time frame, it's likely the automaker will discontinue the current incarnation of the fwd Grand Prix after the 2008 model year.

GM is considering a new mid-sized rwd sedan to replace it. GM says the vehicle will be "one notch up" from the present Grand Prix, which has a base price of $21,990, including shipping. Whether that vehicle keeps the Grand Prix name is uncertain.

But Pontiac's drive to become a pure performance division would sacrifice sales volume. For example, many G6 buyers in northern climates want a front-wheel-drive car for winter conditions.
GM is pressuring dealers to combine Buick, Pontiac and GMC franchises into single stores by cutting the brands' product lineups.

Pontiac brand executives hope that if GM builds the Camaro for Chevrolet, the architecture could provide a similar product for Pontiac. The previous generation of GM muscle cars included the rwd Pontiac Firebird, a sibling of the Camaro.

But Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson is quick to add, "We want a truly differentiated product. We don't want a rebadged vehicle."
If GM decides to build the Camaro, GM will not revive a Firebird version. There will be no Firebird. Rear-wheel drive? Yes. Pony car? No.

Dealers also want a replacement for the GTO, one of only two current rwd Pontiac cars, the other being the Solstice two-seater. Pontiac will kill the Australia-produced coupe this fall after just three model years.
GM say there will be a replacement for the GTO, but the product gap will remain for a couple of years.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Big plans for Pontiac are proposed
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:28 PM
the gto doent need to be based off the camaro

it needs to be based off the chevelle format , just like it was way back when

i think keeping a fwd car in the line up will help them alot , not everyone wants rwd , but having a mix of both , will give the customer the best choices

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:31 PM
Interesting but I doubt it'll happen at least here in Canada..

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:53 PM
performance only? chevy wouldnt dare let pontiac be better then its maro or its vette

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:02 PM
not better than vette, but i bet better than the camaro.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:09 PM
Jared wrote:performance only? chevy wouldnt dare let pontiac be better then its maro or its vette

What? the sunfire isn't better than the cavalier?!?

j/k

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:27 PM
Thay should bring back olds!!!!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:42 PM
They should bring back the Grand National, Trans Am, & Chevelle!!!!!!!!

-Brandon

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:39 PM
and the chevette

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:47 PM
lol. but serousley, look at buic there starten to die, the only reaon they killed olds cause they didnt advertise.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:04 PM
redecocav wrote:They should bring back the Grand National, Trans Am, & Chevelle!!!!!!!!

damn straight

and you're right about the corvette, GM will not let a pontiac best it's flagship vehicle. the camaro, however, has always been bested by the Trans Am.

no, the GTO shoud NOT be based off of the camaro. if they're going to cross platform, bring back a chevelle. otherwise, use the firebird name. you cant have a GTO/Trans Am hybrid (though that would be interesting)

IMHO, the Grand Prix should stay FWD. yes, when the car was originally introduced it was RWD. however, (and yes, i am bias about this) GTP's have made a name for themselves. FWD and performance can be in the same sentence, contrary to some people's beliefs. and to produce a more rounded brand, while strictly adhearing to the "performance" market, you'll need FWD and RWD vehicles. i think that a compact performance vehicle (turbo or s/c persuit?), mid sized FWD sports sedan (Grand Prix), at least a sporty coup or two (GTO, T/A maybe), should be the base. then they can stick in the G6 wherever they want (just please please dont let them get rid of the coup, those things are sexy). the solstice is a wonderful addition. maybe beef up the looks in the next redesign, though. it's a bit weenie for a performance brand. and lastly maybe a RWD performance sedan, maybe bring back the LeMans, though a 4 door GTO doesnt really strike my fancy. oooooo, maybe a wagon! (ok ok, that may be too far)

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:25 PM
WORK wrote:oooooo, maybe a wagon! (ok ok, that may be too far)

Hellz yeah!!!!! Grocery getter with a V8!!!!!!!

-Brandon

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:34 PM
The 2008 Pontiac Catalina Station wagon with a ls7.

that sounds pimp

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:46 PM
hey, someone needs to compete with dodge, who better than pontiac? they should push up the malibu to a mid sized platform, make a 4 door malibu, a malibu wagon, and a chevelle, a GTO, and a LeMans, and LeMans wagon!

wow, that's way too much of the same . but hey, it is GM!

Andy

ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:51 PM
Next thing you know Ford will have the PINTO back out!

-Brandon

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:13 PM
does that mean we get to look forward to a mustang II again?

Andy

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:46 PM
Quote:

the camaro, however, has always been bested by the Trans Am.

ZL1 anybody?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:06 PM
halfJ99 wrote:
Quote:

the camaro, however, has always been bested by the Trans Am.

ZL1 anybody?

ok ok, 95% of the time

Andy

Thursday, June 01, 2006 11:33 AM
i havent seen to many firebirds that would kill a camaro , untill you got in the smog dogs

then pontiac had the edge cause the motors made more tq

WORk , have you seen the aussie versions of the gtp's ? they are a 4dr (GTO) with a 3800 s/c in rwd

what the hell ill toss up a link for them - http://www.v6supercharged.com.au/fame.asp

the air to air intercooler plate for under the s/c kinda looks like it would work for the fwd gtp's also

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:11 PM
WHOE there one second guys! The FireBird has ALWAYS beaten the Camaro of the same year it was. When the Camaro had a 427 the Firebird had a 455. The Camaro had the 396 and 402 big blocks and FireBird had the Ram Air III and IV engines. The Camaro got raped by the EPA during the 70's and so did the FireBird but you could always pop the FireBirds hood to find a Pontiac or Oldsmobile big block of the 400 to 455 inch size. Bandit drove a Trans Am for a reason ya know ! Knight Rider, Trans Am again. I can't think of one single movie or TV show that revolved around a Camaro. And at the track the Trans Am was always just a little faster cause of the hide away headlights. Trans Ams also came turboed from the factory on several occations, can't say I recall any turbo Camaros. Hell a few years the Trans Am was faster then the Vette !

The Camaro may have a huge following but it was never the car the Trans Am was. Sorry.

Trans Am > Camaro Always was and always will be.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:11 PM
redecocav wrote:They should bring back the Chevelle!!!!!!!!

If the Chevelle comes out at all like the concept they had a while back, they shouldn't bring it back.

I'm definitely curious to see how they will take the firebird muscle car.

Have a good one,
Justin

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:51 PM
Heres a good site that has Fire Bird specs and track times starting in 1970 1/2 thru the end of production.
http://www.pontiac.cz/history.php
Now some were turds due to the late 70's emissions crap but they still beat the Camaro for the same year.
And as for the famous Yenko 427 copo Camaro's, they were special build cars that were very limited in number and I could offer the Trans-Ams Ram Air V optional package as its better.

Trans-am > Camaro.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 1:23 PM
yes pontiac has always been about performance in my eye also I rather have a GTO to a Chevelle, and yes i rather have a transam/firehawk to a camaro (except for first gens then a 69 camaro vert)

Thursday, June 01, 2006 1:47 PM
67-69 firebirds only came with a 400 as the largest motor , i think hp was in the 330 range for the ram air 4

67-69 camaro came with 427's as special order , and even the 396 in late 68 was a 402 , 427 had 425 to 435 rated hp(very under rated) , and the top 396/402 was 375hp

but what does cubic inches prove , pretty much nothing

but the 67-69 camaros ive seen all had better times than any firebird

after 70 1/2 then the firebird had the edge with the HO and SD 455's

also the yenkos were built buy GM(in 69) , and tuned by yenko

Thursday, June 01, 2006 1:55 PM
Either way...firebird or camaro--they come with a mullet wig on the seat and Stryper in the casette deck.

Not that there's anything wrong with it...i would have gave my upper left nut for a 2002 Firehawk.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search