Long commute, question about octane... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Long commute, question about octane...
Friday, May 05, 2006 4:05 PM
Hey, I just moved for the summer and I now have about a 160km (100 mile) drive one way to work.

Normally I fill with Ultra94 octane gas, but since I am driving 95% of my gas on the highway, I next to never see boost. So, am I wasting money here, by still using 94 octane? Or should I be using just 91 octane, and saving a couple bucks a tank?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**

Re: Long commute, question about octane...
Friday, May 05, 2006 4:28 PM
we run 91 on the west coast

since it is as high as we get

if you go lower than 91 take the s/c belt off

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:31 PM
Personally, I wouldn't put anything lower than 91 into my car now that I'm boosted. If you really want to run a lower octane, I'd do what 97cavie suggested and take the s/c belt off.

Blown.
Friday, May 05, 2006 9:34 PM
I am not asking about going lower then 91.

I am asking if there is any reason for me to keep running 94 when I rarely get into boost anymore?

The GTP loves 94 when I am driving hard (which is really, really, rare these days), but is it even worth it for highway driving?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Friday, May 05, 2006 10:09 PM
No, 94 isn't worth it if you're not seeing much boost. Save a few bucks a tank and get 91. It can start to add up if you really think about it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search