Gone in 20 Minutes: using laptops to steal cars - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gone in 20 Minutes: using laptops to steal cars
Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:23 AM
Original Story: Left Lane News

High-tech thieves are becoming increasingly savvy when it comes to stealing automobiles equipped with keyless entry and ignition systems. While many computer-based security systems on automobiles require some type of key — mechanical or otherwise — to start the engine, so-called ‘keyless’ setups require only the presence of a key fob to start the engine.

The expert gang suspected of stealing two of David Beckham’s BMW X5 SUVs in the last six months did so by using software programs on a laptop to wirelessly break into the car’s computer, open the doors, and start the engine.

“It’s difficult to steal cars with complex security, but not impossible. There are weaknesses in any system,” Tim Hart of the Auto Locksmith Association told the U.K.’s Auto Express magazine. “At key steps the car’s software can halt progress for up to 20 minutes as part of its in-built protection,” said Hart.

Because the decryption process can take a while — up to 20 minutes, according to Hart — the thieves usually wait to find the car in a secluded area where it will be left for a long period. That is believed to be what happened to Mr. Beckham — the crooks followed him to the mall where he was to have lunch, and went to work on his X5 after it was parked.

While automakers and locksmiths are supposed to be the only groups that know where and how security information is stored in a car, the information eventually falls into the wrong hands.

According to the Prague Post leaving such information on a laptop is what got Radko Souček caught for stealing several cars. “You could delete all the data from your laptop, but that’s not good for you because the more data you have, the bigger your possibilities,” he says. He says any car that relies on software to provide security can be circumvented by other software. “Every car has its weak spot,” he says. Souček faces up to 12 years in prison.

The Leftlane Perspective: Many modern cars now rely on software entirely for security. Gone are the days where microchips supplemented mechanical locks as an additional security measure. In the case of true ‘keyless’ systems, software is the only thing between a thief and your car. As computers become more powerful, will stealing cars become even easier? Never mind future cars with better security — what about today’s cars a few years down the road? With cars as inexpensive as the Toyota Camry offering entirely keyless systems, these concerns a relevant to all consumers.

Re: Gone in 20 Minutes: using laptops to steal car
Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:32 AM
I know a guy in college who used a palm pilot to to unlock early keyless doors (before they started code changing tech) pretty cool. No matter what they do with enough time people will be able to find ways around it.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:49 PM
^^ that's not true.

The problem is the car manufacturers are trying the "roll-your-own" security approach. That's the surest way to failure. If they'd just adopt some open security standards and common practices that are proven secure and reliable, the cars would be fine.

The problem with the cars in the article was that they were brute-force cracked..meaning just constant guessing at the security code. This is easy to stop with required waits between incorrect guesses. The BMW actually had these measures but they implemented improperly.

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:45 PM
AGuSTiN wrote:^^ that's not true.

The problem is the car manufacturers are trying the "roll-your-own" security approach. That's the surest way to failure. If they'd just adopt some open security standards and common practices that are proven secure and reliable, the cars would be fine.

The problem with the cars in the article was that they were brute-force cracked..meaning just constant guessing at the security code. This is easy to stop with required waits between incorrect guesses. The BMW actually had these measures but they implemented improperly.

Eh, I suppose it is debateable but nothing is fool proof and 100% secure...

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:55 PM
Basically, if man can make it, man can break it. It just takes time.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:11 PM
^^ right.

My point was with required waits between incorrect guesses, that "time" would be months or years, instead of a few hours.

Who's going to park near your car and try to hack it for years?

There is no excuse for car theft anymore. All cars have computers that could be properly theft-proofed with the proper software security.

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:13 PM
And even further...

once one car is stolen, software could be upgraded to prevent further thefts. What better way is there?

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:56 PM
crazy.

i am glad i drive a cavalier. haha. no one wants that.

Friday, May 05, 2006 4:18 AM
i watched a show on court tv where they did a story on this korean guy who came to america to steal cars in nyc. it was basically the same thing. he would only steal high end cars and everything was done by laptop to get into the car, bypass the theft system and start the car. pretty crazy stuff

Friday, May 05, 2006 4:27 AM
What ever happened to good old muggings?

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, May 05, 2006 4:40 AM
I still like how my key has opened two other cavaliers...

After the first one I shaved the locks and handles...

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:30 AM
Quote:

I still like how my key has opened two other cavaliers...

LOL yeah. I remeber one time when my wife and I were coming out of the mall and we were talking and weren't paying attention to which red cavalier we were going up to and I unlocked a 2nd gen Cavy coupe and I opened the door and noticed the grey interior and was like WTF my interiors black and I have a sedan. ever since then I used either a Wheel lock or Brake lock.

Friday, May 05, 2006 9:55 AM
I liked how my keys can open up my gf's dads venture van and vice versus.. Way to go GM..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Friday, May 05, 2006 1:30 PM
Hate tp say this folks: but welcome to 1940.

GM/Ford/Chrysler have only had about 100-200 keys every year to unlock all their vehicles.

My grand-dad had a 1956 Chev and the key for it could unlock all the Ford trucks and vans in the lot @ the Imperial Oil refinary he worked at.

There's only so many permutations of lock types that can be had. These new keys need to get some of the kinks worked out, but I would be very much surprised if in ten years you could find a new car that had a mechanical lock & key set assembly.

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Friday, May 05, 2006 1:33 PM
my gfs uncle unlocked my car with his van keys

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search